Damn you fresh pineapple! :(

Options
Gaaah! Completely forgot that I can't eat raw pineapple. Had some with my lunch as I couldn't find any pineapple cottage cheese in the supermarket and now I feel horrendous!! :(

Canned pineapple is fine, cooked also fine, but fresh? Nope. Within 20 minutes I get THE WORST stomach cramps and feel sick for a good couple of hours.

WHY DID I FORGET?!

I'm also out of peppermint tea...

Replies

• apple_cakes
    apple_cakes Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That's strange that it'd upset your stomach! Better remember for next time though :p
  • Erinelda
    Erinelda Posts: 96
    Options
    It stings my tongue lol. There is something different about it when it's fresh.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Feel better. : )
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you're talking about. I've been told fresh pineapple contains a higher pollen count which triggers an "allergic" reaction in some people.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I'll eat fresh pineapple til my mouth is raw...then eat some more. I love it! Sorry about your stomach ache :frown:
  • DesertStar86
    DesertStar86 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I believe it's something to do with the bromelain... Apparently cooking breaks it down(?), hence canned and cooked I can tolerate. I've only noticed the reaction in the last couple of years.

I usually have no time for people who claim they can't eat this, that or the other because of their "intolerance" but the pineapples...? The pineapples are evil!!

Anyhow, I'll try and remember for next time!

Edit: typo
  • katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sneaky pineapple :( sorry to hear it caused a flare up, make sure you take it easy :flowerforyou:
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    @Erinelda - that happens to me too, with pineapple and peaches! My allergist says some fruits harbor pollen from surrounding trees or something and it can cause an allergic reaction. Be careful, because in some people continuing to expose yourself can cause anaphylaxis.

I carry an epi pen because my Dr is worried haha
  • mareliaavik
    Options
    thats a shame, had the best pineapple-spinach-apple-pinkgrapefruit smoothie this morning.. so nice
  • stellasaur
    stellasaur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There is an enzyme in fresh pineapple that is denatured by heat. Most pineapple allergies are to this enzyme. Canned pineapple is heat treated, and so is safe. Most prepackaged pineapple juices are also heat treated. Cooked pineapple is fine.

Source: Allergic to pineapple.

You should immediately stop seeing any allergist who tells you that pineapple and peach allergies are caused by pollen in surrounding trees. Find an allergist who has completed some kind of medical training.
  • GothJuice
    GothJuice Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    No one else is upset about the lack of tea?
    I, for one, am appalled, get it sorted!! :P

Hope your stomach settles soon, I get the same when I accidentally eat dairy.
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I recently had several alergic reactions to pineapple and I'm so sad it's my favorite. When I got tested it came back negative go figure. Think I might try it again.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    You should immediately stop seeing any allergist who tells you that pineapple and peach allergies are caused by pollen in surrounding trees. Find an allergist who has completed some kind of medical training.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome

"The most common reaction is an itching or burning sensation in the lips, mouth, ear canal, and/or pharynx. Sometimes other reactions can be triggered in the eyes, nose, and skin. Swelling of the lips, tongue, and uvula and a sensation of tightness in the throat may be observed. It can seldom result in anaphylaxis."

"Allergies to a specific pollen are usually associated with OAS reactions to other certain foods. For instance, an allergy to ragweed is associated with OAS reactions to banana, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, zucchini, and cucumber. This does not mean that all sufferers of an allergy to ragweed will experience adverse effects from all or even any of these foods. Reactions may be associated with one type of food, with new reactions to other foods developing later. However, reaction to one or more foods in any given category does not necessarily mean a person is allergic to all foods in that group.

Alder pollen: almonds, apples, celery, cherries, hazel nuts, peaches, pears, parsley, strawberry, raspberry
    Birch pollen: almonds, apples, apricots, avocados, bananas, carrots, celery, cherries, chicory, coriander, fennel, fig, hazel nuts, kiwifruit, nectarines, parsley, parsnips, peaches, pears, peppers, plums, potatoes, prunes, soy, strawberries, wheat; Potential: walnuts
    Grass pollen: fig, melons, tomatoes, oranges
    Mugwort pollen: carrots, celery, coriander, fennel, parsley, peppers, sunflower
    Ragweed pollen: banana, cantaloupe, cucumber, green pepper, paprika, sunflower seeds/oil, honeydew, watermelon, zucchini, echinacea, artichoke, dandelions, honey (if bees pollinate from wild flowers), hibiscus or chamomile tea
    Possible cross-reactions (to any of the above): berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc), citrus (oranges, lemons, etc), grapes, mango, figs, peanut, pineapple, pomegranates, watermelon"
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    yikes, poor thing!! They make a GMO pineapple that is much less acidic... on the other hand it is evil because it is GMO...
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sauteed pineapple in a little butter, sprinkled with ( preferably Jamaican, not Madras) curry powder and a little cracked pepper? Wonderful. Made that for a houseful of people in Ocho Rios one time and it was a great hit.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Fresh pineapple does nothing but magical things for me.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Fresh pineapple does nothing but magical things for me.

Can confirm
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    That's strange that it'd upset your stomach! Better remember for next time though :p

Girl, PINEAPPLE DIGESTS YOU.

http://blogs.unimelb.edu.au/sciencecommunication/2012/10/07/the-flesh-eating-pineapple/

(OP, too much fresh pineapple always leaves me with the worst stomach cramps, too. Grilling/cooking/steeping it must help reduce that enzyme).
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    10/10 thread