EAT your BMR or NET your BMR?

Options
5'3", 26 y/o, 114ish.

I stopped eating at 1,200 and increased to 1,300 and will slowly add 100 cals every week or two until I get to my GW (110ish) and then find my sweet spot for maintenance.

Goals:
1. Lose fat
2. Maintain muscles
3. Gain muscle (Once GW is reached. Since I've been told it's impossible to gain muscle in a deficit.)

Workouts:
1. Running (HIIT walk, run, walk, run) 3-4 times a week 30-45 mins
2. Body weight exercises (burpees, planks, jumping jacks, mountain climbers etc) this week has been every day I've been doing a one song workout a day challenge! Lol But planning to do 20 mins next week for 2-3 days

Anyhoo, I was eating back exercise calories and a friend of mine commented on my status that I shouldn't be eating exercise calories back BUT I do eat at least 1,300 a day. Although those runs sometimes cause me to burn 300-400.

I thought I got this! Now I'm all confused again. :grumble:

Thoughts?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Anyhoo, I was eating back exercise calories and a friend of mine commented on my status that I shouldn't be eating exercise calories back BUT I do eat at least 1,300 a day. Although those runs sometimes cause me to burn 300-400.

Thoughts?
    your friend is wrong. You could probably eat more than 1300. Adjust your goals here to match .5 lb loss per week. You put the wrong information in if you've only got the app telling you to eat 1200/1300 calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

give those a look.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When using MFP method yes you eat your exercise calories back...at least 50-75% of them as they can be high for some people.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you were following MFP caloric intake guidelines using your weekly weight loss goal, you should be eating the exercise calories back. If you don't want to, use the TDEE method, that way you get more everyday than MFP's base. It essentially averages out your exercise for the week and distributes evenly to all days.

also with only 7 lbs to go your goal should be to lose no more than 0.5lbs/week, if you use TDEE, TDEE minus 10-15%
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Damn it. I knew there was something wrong. Shouldn't have listened to him. Well I messed that up this week. Okay then, thanks guys!