Macro nutrients IIFYM - Anyone?

Options
Has anyone had any experience changing from the 'recommended' 1200cals per day(for a female) to the IIFYM (If it fits your macros) way of eating? Apparently following this system I could eat 1800 cals per day. Because I'm loosing weight very slowly eating 1200 cals, I'm reluctant to up my calories.
:happy:

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go up as high as 1800 cal/day, but you may progress faster with more calories. Try bumping up to 1400 cal/day and see how your body reacts. What are your macros set to?

Allan
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had any experience changing from the 'recommended' 1200cals per day(for a female) to the IIFYM (If it fits your macros) way of eating? Apparently following this system I could eat 1800 cals per day. Because I'm loosing weight very slowly eating 1200 cals, I'm reluctant to up my calories.
    :happy:

You could eat more calories using MFP too...

MFP gives you 1200 based on the data you enter...did you put in your weekly weight loss goal as 2lbs a week? If so change that to 1/2-1lb a week.

IIFYM does not guarantee more calories, it just means you are aiming at a calorie goal based on "reasonable" calorie deficit where you are striving to get in a certian number of grams of Protien/Fats/Carbs.

If you are losing slowly and you are recording 1200 calories it is probably because you are eating more than you think...

Do you use a food scale? choose correct entries etc?
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I stopped using the "recommended" 1200 calories and started using the IIFYM and a FitBit. That method allowed me to drop my final 10 pounds and I typically eat anywhere between 1500 and 1700 calories a day to maintain my weight depending on my exercise habits.

I'm 43 years old, 5'3" tall, and 113 pounds now.
  • goldeneyes17
    goldeneyes17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, I haven't paid much attention to the macro numbers on MFP until now. I have just been looking at the calories. Yes, I do use a scale, but have been a bit lax with logging everything, so you are right, I will have been eating more than 1200 cals, enough to slow the weight loss.
    I think I will increase my calories and then see what the macros are. :-)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, I haven't paid much attention to the macro numbers on MFP until now. I have just been looking at the calories. Yes, I do use a scale, but have been a bit lax with logging everything, so you are right, I will have been eating more than 1200 cals, enough to slow the weight loss.
    I think I will increase my calories and then see what the macros are. :-)

If you increase your calories ensure you are weighing and logging accurately.
  • goldeneyes17
    goldeneyes17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I stopped using the "recommended" 1200 calories and started using the IIFYM and a FitBit. That method allowed me to drop my final 10 pounds and I typically eat anywhere between 1500 and 1700 calories a day to maintain my weight depending on my exercise habits.

I'm 43 years old, 5'3" tall, and 113 pounds now.

Thanks for your reply. I have also just bought a fitbit, (and love it). You must be really trim now at 113!! well done. :happy:

I'm 44 and 5'6"tall but have a considerable amount to loose. I am currently 180 pounds down from 199 and not sure what my goal should be so I have set it at 161 pounds. I think I will give the IIFYM system a try.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    There is some great information on how to set MFP for TDEE and Macros and just general information and links to more information at the link below in MFP. I learned SO much reading this and the associated posts and increased my calories and adjusted my macros. I finally started losing a bit again, I have been plateaued for a while but just have a few pounds to lose and was not going anywhere even though I was eating at 1200 and tracking/eating back my exercise calories. Now I set the calories higher, adjusted the macros and only track my exercise but don't use the calorie values. I slowly moved the calories up and am currently eating at 1500/day generally. My diary is open if you want to take a look at what I have set.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • lauralea42
    lauralea42 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Laura. I am 42 yrs old, 5'7" and 158 lbs. My fat % is 27.6 right now. I have been dieting for 20 weeks. At first I was eating around 1200 calories a day. I lost weight, but I plateaued. I had a fitness trainer help me by figuring my BMR and the amount of calories I should be eating daily to lose weight. This is 1520 cal/day with maintenance at 2027 cal. Well, for the past four weeks I have plateaued AGAIN! A female friend of mine that is into body building suggested I go to IIFYM.com to figure my calories and macros. All I have been doing in to the past was watching calories, but she told me I need to watch proteins, carbs, and fats also. Well, when I did the calculator it told me that I should be eating 1740 cal/day (at aggressive 20%). I freaked out. Wow....I feel that if I am not losing weight at 1520 calories, isn't 1740 calories a day gonna make me GAIN weight??? She told me to stay off the scale for a couple weeks because I may gain weight as my body gets used to the extra calories, but if I follow the macros then I will start losing weight again. My main question to you is....do you feel 1740 calories a day is to high? Will I lose weight while eating this many calories?? Any suggestions you have will be appreciated!
  • lauralea42
    lauralea42 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Decided that 1740 calories was to high. Doing 1667 calories with 124g carbs, 186g protein, and 46g fat. Just started this, so I don't know how it will work yet. I also started Focus T25 by Shau T. Hoping this will help me lose more weight. Not sure if this is considered cardio or Strength Training though. Anyone know?