Breakfast recipes

Options
bigblondewolf
bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
Hi All!

I'm lacking inspiration for healthy breakfast ideas and was wondering what everyone else usually had for breakfast. I'm not really a breakfast person, as eating in the morning tends to make me sick to my stomach, but I know how important the meal is so I've been trying to ease myself into it with shakes, smoothies and yogurt. But now I'm looking for some other options.

All yummy breakfast recipes will be appreciated and tried :) Thanks!

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Well first off - you don't have to eat breakfast first thing in morning. I usually wait until about noon, that way I have more calories for the afternoon and evening. Totally personal preference.

For me I like to start day with scrambled eggs (with veggies - spinach, onion and peppers) and some sort of protein (bacon, turkey sausage or ham). Lots of protein and fills me up
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I eat either Kellogg's All Bran Buds mixed in with my yogurt or have a BelVita breakfast biscuits package during the week. It's easiest and since I hit the snooze button too many times, I don't have much time for cooking before work. I don't eat until about 8 am. Other times I will have an egg white omelet from Subway.

Weekends I usually go with 1 egg and 1 egg white omelet with tomatoes, green peppers, onions, spinach, mushrooms, etc. Whatever veges I have on hand go into my omelet as well as some protein.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Weekdays I usually have a cup of greek yogurt with fresh blueberries and granola-I found this great granola by Nature Valley that is higher in protein. That usually lasts me until my lunch break. Weekends I make an egg sandwich with a soy/fake pork sausage and some greens on a sandwich thin.
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I usually have a high protein breakfast. I mix 1/4 cup of water with 2 scoops of protein powder, mix well, then add 1/2 cup oatmeal raw, and mix then add 1 cup of frozen berries. I pack it the night before and just take it to work with me as I am not a morning person. I also usually eat around 10 ish.. during my morning work break.
  • nikir37
    nikir37 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a bit boring with my breakfasts I either have porridge with cinnamon, museli or my favourite a slice of wholemeal toast with peanut butter and banana :) yum yum yum :P
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    screen-shot-2011-07-08-at-1-35-09-pm.png
  • bigblondewolf
    Options

Haha! No joke though Acg67, I came across a post this morning that advocated donuts for breakfast (paired with chocolate milk no less).

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/healthy-meals/breakfast-to-go-10000001047596/page3.html
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Haha! No joke though Acg67, I came across a post this morning that advocated donuts for breakfast (paired with chocolate milk no less).

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/healthy-meals/breakfast-to-go-10000001047596/page3.html

Breakfast of champions, throw in a coffee and cigarette and you're ready to take on the world
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a breakfast person wither, however, I often times make an egg cassarole on Sundays, cut it into 4 sections and take it for the week. It reheats beautifully:

2 c Simply potato shreds
    6 large eggs
    spinach - chopped
    1/2 c shredded cheese
    Sausage or ham (depending on what I have in the freezer)
    2 slices american or swiss cheese

In a greased (I use Pam spray) 8x8 pyrex pan I put the simply potato, and mix in the meat and shredded cheese.

In a separate bowl I wisk together the eggs, add sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste, then pour the mixture over the potato mixture. Take the american/swiss chese and break into pieces across the top of the mixture. Then bake at 350 for 40 minutes uncovered.

Let it cool about 30 min, then cut into 4 equal size pieces. Reheating in the microwave, takes about a minute and a half each morning. Quick, easy, very filling. You can certainly add all sorts of lovely veggies if you like. I've done spinach, broccoli, mushrooms....
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Try a shake/smoothie -> 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup milk (or unsweetened vanilla almond milk to add a yummy flavour, minus the calories), 1 cup whatever fruit you prefer and 1 scoop protein powder

1/2 cup sliced strawberries, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup raspberries, 1/2 cup yogurt (I HATE Greek yogurt, so I just choose one low on the sugar - the Iogo Vanilla is good!)

1/2 cup oatmeal (about 1/4 cup before cooked) with 1 egg & 2 egg whites

1/2 cup oatmeal with blueberries

2 large eggs and 1 cup berries or a medium sized apple or a cup of chopped, stir fried, steamed or raw veggies

apple and 12 raw almonds

red grapes and 10 pistachios

...... :)
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I love making a big batch of steelcut oats on Sundays. I'll usually make it plain so I'm not stuck with one flavor all week. If I have canned pumpkin I'll mix 1-2 tbsp of that with some brown sugar, cinnamon ad nutmeg. Or I'll throw in sliced apples, blueberries or raspberries. Or just cinnamon and sugar. Maybe a hard boiled egg to go along with it and I'm full til lunch.

But my go-to breakfast 90% of the time is 2 eggs scrambled (in the microwave b/c I'm at work when I eat) topped with a cheese slice and, if I have any, some avocado.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm very boring and tend to move between three breakfasts:

1) 2-3 Eggs (either scrambled or omelette) with a bunch of vegetables (eg kale, peppers, mushrooms) and some Greek-style cheese crumbled up in thar

2) Greek yogurt, granola and berries

3) 2 poached eggs on a slice of ryebread with avocado smooched on the top.

I'm not generally a huge breakfast fan and wait til I get home from work/the gym to eat, so I usually don't eat until anywhere between 9-10:30. Other options are sandwiches (egg and soy sausages), instant oats (with or without fruit), a slice of toast or ryebread with cashew nut butter and a banana sliced on top, or Greek yogurt pancakes with a bit of maple syrup or honey.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have breakfast if you don't want to.
  • bigblondewolf
    Options
    These all sound super delicious! Thanks :)
    I'm not generally a huge breakfast fan and wait til I get home from work/the gym to eat, so I usually don't eat until anywhere between 9-10:30. Other options are sandwiches (egg and soy sausages), instant oats (with or without fruit), a slice of toast or ryebread with cashew nut butter and a banana sliced on top, or Greek yogurt pancakes with a bit of maple syrup or honey.

Hmm, I love greek yogurt, but I've never heard of greek yogurt pancakes before. How do you make those?

Also, I thought it was essential to get some proper food into your body in the morning in order to get your metabolism going - so isn't skipping breakfast a big no no?
  • smaugish
    Options
    These all sound super delicious! Thanks :)

Hmm, I love greek yogurt, but I've never heard of greek yogurt pancakes before. How do you make those?

Also, I thought it was essential to get some proper food into your body in the morning in order to get your metabolism going - so isn't skipping breakfast a big no no?

GREEK YOGURT BLUEBERRY PANCAKES
    (makes 10-12 mini pancakes)

Ingredients
    3/4 cup 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
    1 egg
    1/2 cup flour
    1 tsp baking soda

Directions

In a small bowl, stir yogurt until smooth. Crack an egg over the yogurt and stir to combine roughly.

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour and baking soda.

Pour yogurt and egg mixture into the bowl with the flour and baking soda. Stir to combine. (The batter will be very thick.)

Spoon 1/4 cup batter onto a non-stick pan heated to low-medium. Use spoon to gently spread out batter into an even circle on pan. (The thinner it is, the quicker it takes to cook).

Recipe is from notyouraveragecollegefood.com, she adds blueberries which is very tasty if that's your bag! I calculated that the whole batch works out at around 300 cals so you can eat the whole thing, and the Greek yogurt gives a nice punch of protein.

And from what I've gathered from being on here on and off for 2 years- it's not such a big deal to not eat breakfast if you're not hungry. I start work pretty early in the morning and the thought of eating when I first wake up is just... it makes me feel sick, like I'd be shovelling food in when my stomach feels full. Eating when you're hungry is just as important as eating the right foods.
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    2 slices French toast, 2 T light maple syrup, 1 cup soy milk, and 4 oz. high pulp orange juice the fiber is good for you.
  • bigblondewolf
    Options
    Thanks Smaugish, those sound awesome! Gonna try the recipe out this weekend.
  • nroth57
    nroth57 Posts: 21
    Options
    I alternate between these:

1. 1/2 a smashed avocado with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lime on whole wheat toast and a half a cup of mixed berries
    2. 2 hard boiled eggs and a banana
    3. Smoothie with spinach, berries, flavored Greek yogurt and a half a scoop of whey protein.
    4. Overnight oatmeal - serving of oatmeal soaked in flavored Greek yogurt and 1% milk overnight with some fresh berries (served cold)
    5. 3 egg white omelet with sauteed spinach, roasted red pepper (From a jar, i'm lazy), a laughing cow wedge and turkey sausage on wheat toast (weekend)

all of those are at or under 300 calories and most are high in protein (sorry avocado breakfast is not, but it is delicious)

But if you don't like breakfast and it makes you ill, why force yourself to eat it? when you eat doesn't really matter, especially if it's making you sick to your stomach.
  • smaugish
    Options

But if you don't like breakfast and it makes you ill, why force yourself to eat it? when you eat doesn't really matter, especially if it's making you sick to your stomach.

I will assume that's aimed at me as I mentioned the breakfast ill thing- that's why I wait til much later in the morning to eat, when I am actually hungry and have done enough to get everything going! I wake up at 6.45 and it'll be probably 3 hours until I eat.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I usually delay eating breakfast. If I eat when I first get up, I find myself snacking more throughout the day.

But a nice breakfast usually means eggs or oatmeal. With bacon, canadian bacon, turkey sausage, or some other small or lean meat with the eggs, and craisins or fresh spices (grated nutmeg or cinnamon) in the oatmeal.

One thing you could try is to make egg cups: lightly beat some eggs, thrown in some veggies like spinach, peppers and onions, and pour into muffin tins. Bake until done (around 30 minutes or so). You can freeze these and just pop in the microwave when you're in a hurry. If you have carbs and calories to spare, you can line the muffin tin with refrigerator biscuits, crescent roll dough, or phyllo. If you can afford the sodium, line it with ham or canadian bacon.