Routine vs Chaos

Options
I need a little help. During the week I have a very set routine that works extremely well for me. I can almost tell you specifically almost every minute of my day, unfortunately my weekends are entirely different. I do really well during the week, eating right, exercise, etc. On the weekends, since I am not sitting in my office, I fall apart. My kids have places to go, things to do, so I am running around taking them places, no time for my scheduled meals or snacks. So I am grabbing food whenever and wherever I can. Most of the time I try for the healthiest I can but often times I don't have many choices. I miss my workouts because things come up, games run late, etc. How do you handle this? I feel like every week I am just trying to fight back the weight I gain over the weekends. I have tried planning out my weekend activities but nothing ever works out the way it is supposed to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    you and me both. not too much you can do other than learn to make smart choices on the go. if you cant access healthy alternative where you eat then try packing some protein bars or something to curve your hunger until better options are avaibable
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Try to take healthy snacks with you to your weekend events. That way when you are hungry or eating out you have a better option. And a lot of what you are "gaining" over the weekend is probably water weight. If you know where you are going over the weekend, you may be able to look up places to eat and see what their menu offerings are.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    if you can't plan out activities plan out your snacks and meals and have stuff ready to grab.

For example have veggies cut up and in bags ready to go, fruit is easy to grab...

My weekends are never set either....I never know what is going to happen or what I am going to do...and if it is planned it usually involves dinner out some resturant where the food is so good and high in calories I have to preplan my logs.

I personally never plan workouts on the weekend...unless it's my gardening, swimming in the pool or a walk with my husband.

But that is why I get at least 5 workouts in during the week...which includes Friday...and if I think I might miss one I double up on another day.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I need a little help. During the week I have a very set routine that works extremely well for me. I can almost tell you specifically almost every minute of my day, unfortunately my weekends are entirely different. I do really well during the week, eating right, exercise, etc. On the weekends, since I am not sitting in my office, I fall apart. My kids have places to go, things to do, so I am running around taking them places, no time for my scheduled meals or snacks. So I am grabbing food whenever and wherever I can. Most of the time I try for the healthiest I can but often times I don't have many choices. I miss my workouts because things come up, games run late, etc. How do you handle this? I feel like every week I am just trying to fight back the weight I gain over the weekends. I have tried planning out my weekend activities but nothing ever works out the way it is supposed to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I will tell you from my experience, when I get out of bed on the weekends, i put on my workout gear and get it done, before anything else distracts me!! That is my #1 priority, and I am usually done with it my between 9-10am. My eating is a bit more challenging, Sundays are my free day, I don't log, and I eat what I want, and SAturday I try to stay on task as best I can, sometimes it's more difficult than others, but I am sure to have a protien bar in my purse, almonds, etc...just in case I get in a bind.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    My work schedule is all over the place, sometimes very early mornings, so I feel your pain. Why don't you get a little lunch box you can take some healthy snacks with you, and some water as well. Even if I have to go to work for two hours, I always take some things with me because things always change. Prep your weekend ahead.
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions. I may have to try getting my weekend workouts done before everyone is up and expecting breakfast in the mornings. I do try to keep protein bars or simple snacks in my purse, a lot of times my kids get to them before I do, and I can't refuse my kids a healthy snack if they want it. If I brought enough for all of us I would need to carry a suitcase. I am going to keep working at it and hopefully I can find a solution that works for my family. All ideas are greatly appreciated.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i know weekends are tough
    i think the key is possibly even more planning like friday bag out some healthy snacks you can have while you are running around sat/sun.
    have your kids pick out their own snacks so they can look forward to their own choice and not eat what you planned for yourself. and if they do just say no =) or hopefully they are all have healthy snacks so a swap won't be a big deal =)

wear your workout gear and can't u get some exercise in during your kids activities?
    like power walking outside the building or field they are at during their practice/game?

can your husband help with breakfast?

and most of all as much as you plan a lot will go unplanned....so just go easy on yourself and hopefully you can at least gain some control by packing yourself some healthy food.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Do you think it hinders your progress? I will eat in advance or pack a cooler and wear my walking shoes when I know I'm going to be away from my norms. There is always the chance to park a little further away from an event and walk! That said, if you're doing AWESOME during the week and still pretty good on the weekends without going completely off the rails, that is OK, isn't it?
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Do you think it hinders your progress? I will eat in advance or pack a cooler and wear my walking shoes when I know I'm going to be away from my norms. There is always the chance to park a little further away from an event and walk! That said, if you're doing AWESOME during the week and still pretty good on the weekends without going completely off the rails, that is OK, isn't it?

I have found that having chaotic weekends and not following things as I should may not be a huge issue but I often feel guilty and discouraged by Monday morning because things did not work out the way I would have liked. If a weekend really gets out of control I feel like a failure and fall back into very bad old habits. (This has happened a few times and leads to a whole week of "I don't care, it doesn't matter." Then I skip workouts, eat pizza, and sit on the couch reading a book.)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I have found that having chaotic weekends and not following things as I should may not be a huge issue but I often feel guilty and discouraged by Monday morning because things did not work out the way I would have liked. If a weekend really gets out of control I feel like a failure and fall back into very bad old habits. (This has happened a few times and leads to a whole week of "I don't care, it doesn't matter." Then I skip workouts, eat pizza, and sit on the couch reading a book.)

stop that...

don't feel guilty about being busy with your kids.

or about eating...ever.

If you want weekends smoother plan for it..not just a protien bar in the purse but pack a cooler on Friday night that is easy to grab and restock it saturday night...and 2 days should not derail your entire week. Just pick yourself back up on Monday and start again.

I have had weekends while I was losing that went whacky so I said okay maitenance it is...and I stuck to it...

Are you logging on the weekends? use the phone app etc.