Potentional ED-NOS/Disordered Eating and/ord BDD?

Options
Now I know If I didn't think I had an issue I wouldn't be posting right? well I need others perspectives besides the people I have confided to or people that have witnessed my behavior...This are random thoughts that come out of my mouth or pop into my head so very stream of consciousness..... A little background I had wls coming up 18 months ago and I lost about 146 lbs in 1 year from 284-148 (how I passed the psych exam to get the surgery is beyond me).

Right, now I am toning and getting more fit because of course I lost a lost of muscle...but I still want to lose "weight" These are really personal thoughts like a diary that I have not shared with many but I need other peoples constructive criticism even people I do not know.

Please do not bash or demean me. You will see by the following how much I do that myself... Some things might be offensive to people who are heavy but these are just crazy thoughts really, that pop in my head and I have been jotting them down for a long time and need to know if I need help...because I scare myself with these thoughts... ok here is everything copy and pasted from Google Keep Some of it is the same thing but explained different like I said these are my random thoughts I have been collecting. Please bear in mind as your read...

PS: I know that no one on here is probably a doctor or medical professional per say and therefore cannot diagnose anyone I just needs peoples OPINIONS if I have an issue and if I should seek professional help which I think I know the answer but want to hear what people who are into fitness and weight loss have to say about all this

I dont want to be pretty or what is considered beautiful I want be like the typical hot chick that turns heads. I get jealous and depressed of people would fit this ideal of beauty.

Sometimes I think I look cute/pretty or beautiful and am shocked at how pretty I am and never thought I was that good looking but other times which is most of the time I think I am fat, gross and disgusting. Have described myself to my husband that I look like Quasimoto or some other similar disfigured character.

I fixate on little imperfections like I think my eyes are messed up and one is misshapen.Constantly making before and after side by sides, posting them on FB or texting them to my husband or sister asking if they think I look fatter in the after pictures. Making them analyze my pictures to the tiniest detail with me and I dont take no for an answer when they don't want to give in to that kind of behavior.

I am feeling more and more insecure of my excess skin. Every time I am naked I am fixating on it. Asking my husband if it is that bad, asking him how much he dislikes it and if it looks horrible. Considering reconstructive plastic surgery.
I am still not happy with the weight on the scale. Still want to get to my personal goal of 120 and get as thin as possible without looking sickly.

I am a calorie prisoner. I do not go one day without tracking everything I eat besides coffee. I have told myself some days I will take a break and just see how it is but I am truly addicted because I can't stop. I can't go without my Fitbit either. I need that as if it is the word of God to tell me how many calories I am burning and steps and all the stats. It is my lifeline. I cried when I lost my first one and told my husband I can't live without my Fitbit, so I went to Best Buy that night and bought a new one because I couldn't even go a day without it.
I want to make sure that people that dont know me, people just walking down the street think I am "skinny". I have asked questions to my husband like " if a stranger saw on the street do you think they would describe me as skinny" my husband says yes but I dont believe him and argue with him and tell him I think him and my family and friends are all lying to me because they dont want to hurt my feelings but I am convinced they are all lying and wont tell me that I really am still chubby. I dont trust any of them And think because it is a sensitive subject no one wants to tell me the truth to spare my feelings. Any word like skinny,thin and small really bother me to hear like makes me a little angry because when you dont believe people are telling you the truth, I am sure it is not a surprise I would be defensive. I dont call myself those words and use things like "when I was bigger" "now that I am smaller" when I think about it is is still eluding to the fact that I am big and just a little bit smaller than I was.
But at the same time. I cringe at the word skinny. I hate when my husband or anyone that uses that word to describe me I do not feel I am skinny. I do not feel like I am truly accomplished with all the weight that I lost until I reach the goal that I still have in my mind and the ideals I make myself need to live up to.
I think about how every movement of the body burns calories. I try to move as much as possible even if it is a toe tap or something like that. I have even jokingly said to my husband that I like that sex burns calories but insist that is not he reason why I do it. I even wore my HRM once during so I could figure out approx how many calories I burn during intercourse. My mind and almost every thought is consumed by this how many calories I burned/ate or will burn. Worry I am eating too much and not burning enough cals.
I have said before that I am pretty sure I can feel myself getting fatter.

Always rubbing my hands on parts of my body to feel for bones and more muscle tone. Look at my arms or legs a lot to see if they are getting firmer and more toned. Most of the time whenever I get the chance and my hands are not busy this is what I am doing.
Remember when I was a teenager I wished I was anorexic or brave enough or had more guts to be bulimic and be able to make yourself throw up which I could never do.
When I was 7 or 8 I remember going to the fridge and eating lettuce leaves and one or my parents asking me what I was doing and I said I am eating lettuce and jumping on the bed to lose weight.
At some point as a teenager thought it was an ok way to lose weight was to fast or not eat.
Constantly and obsessively reading things on the internet about foods and drinks that will make u burn more cals,boost your metabolism,burn fat and will make u purge water retention. I can't not read articles or someting on pinterest look at lot of fitspiration pics. To motivate me and but also I feel like I want to torture myself.
On occasion take water pills and using diuretic tea to help lose water weight.
I am terrified and my life is consumed by the fear of getting fat again. It is my worst fear beyond anything else. I told my husband and sister I will kill myself if I gain the weight back like so many people do.

When I go to the restroom I think about how I am losing scale weight.

I look in the mirror or any reflection as much as possible. If I see any reflective object I need to take a peek at myself just so

Feel like if I am not obsessing over what I eat and consume and burn and tracking everything I will lose control and get fat again. And getting obese again is something that I completely and utterly fear with all my heart. It has replaced me getting pregnant as my biggest fear.

I think I am fat at 138 lbs. I obsess over any small or large imperfection and have insisted to my husband that I am not getting smaller. I am getting bigger and say how I look wider and how my belly looks fat and that I look like I am in early stages of being pregnant.

Every waking minute is spent thinking about food and intake and calories burned. I can't stop thinking about it. It is always there. I cannot think of a time that something fitness or weight related is on my mind.

I map about my fitness weekly routine a week or so ahead of time so it is planned and basically set. I make myself guilty of I happen to need to skip one of the days I scheduled for myself and just to justify it in my mind and why it is ok but I just think that is just me making excuses and in the fitness world. "No Excuses" is the motto.
I check my fit bit app hundreds times a day it seems and I am always on MFP app adding everything in. I cannot go without looking or wearing my fit bit. It is like a drug and crutch for me.
Even the thought has crossed my mind every once in a while that I wish I didn't have to eat a meal because it will add more cals to my intake for the day and I have to log it in MFP. . I even tracked my food when I was down with the flu for 3 days and barely ate anything.

I love the very thought of thinking that by weight lifting now, how I am boosting my metabolism and therefore burn more calories and even at rest. I am a lot of a type talking like a fitness trainer with all the knowledge I have now regarding anything fitness.

I feel like I am really fat still in my face,stomach and legs.

When I workout at the gym or any form of exercise/activity all I can think about is how many cals I am burning and makes me thrilled at the thought that everything I do burns energy. I am elated and extremely happy about burning cals.

I get really scared and paranoid since I have been eating my cals and my cal deficit per day is not as wide of a gap as it once was and cry and get emotional when I feel like or think I am ruining everything because I may have messed up some or am eating more normal. This is something I am very worrisome about. I am so frightened that I wont be able to control my eating and start eating like a pig again and become obese. So the whole world and all my friends and family would shake their heads and think told ya so she would fail and get fat again. I can't disappoint them and myself and be a failure.

Fixated on the number on the scale and reaching my goal of 120 and any weight fluctuations make me mad,depressed and angry. I still pretty much weigh myself everyday but I do believe since going to my personal training that sometimes have gotten better. I am not as obsessed with the number on the scale but then that focus I had on the scale is shifted into other things that I started more recently like scheduling out my exercise a week or more ahead of time.

Always looking at fitness articles,recipes on sites downloading fitness apps liking fitness pages on Facebook going on weight loss and fitness message boards googling for certain topics on weight loss and fitness. I have about 10-15 fitness related apps on my phone. Always looking what are some other good fitness app to download.

Am starting to feel like food and eating is gross and the act of putting food in your body is disgusting and we only eat because it taste good and makes us feel good and is just like sexual arousal and that we are turned on by food which is disturbing.

I am constantly comparing myself to others and cannot look at women primarily and analyze their bodies like I do mine.

Anything food and fitness related I am obsessed with to an unhealthy level my life revolves around anything related to those things. It is like a drug something that gets me high off of and I am addicted.

Any weight changes up on the scale make upset, depressed and have anxiety.
Compulsively track and monitor my calorie intake and what I have burned By recalculating and an analyzing repeatedly My fitness pal accounts and fitbit to always make sure I have a calorie deficit. Adding and subtracting on a daily basis what I have burned and eaten to make sure I always am in ok ranges. Always looking at my intake and calories in real time so I can make sure I can eat what I might want to eat. Typically if I cannot fit it within my calorie goal I will not eat it. Believe certain foods that are bad are just not worth the calories even though It is ok to have what is bad sometimes.
I am literally afraid of calories,. I always want to have a calorie deficit just so I can make sure I do not put on pounds of fat even when I am instructed by my training to eat at maintenance for a while to give my body a break. The thought of eating at maintenance scares me. Especially since the smaller you are the less calories you burn.

Not only have pressure from myself to stay thin. I have pressure from my family and friends. I can't accept failure from myself or others. Because I don't want those people secretly hoping I fail see me fail and say ha I knew she would get fat again.

The only reason I asked for a standing desk at work is so I can stand part of the day because I know standing burns more calories and so I can do squats or push ups using my desk. My goal is to stand at least 3 hrs a day with in my 7.75 hour work day because again standing burns more cals than sitting. The plan is to break it up in segments throughout the day.
I am going to print off exercises that I can do at my desk/cube so I am a calorie burning machine.

When former trainer says do cardio 4-6 days a week, I opt for the 6 days because I have to over achieve and do the max of everything.

I used to walk to work and sometimes back if the weather wasn't bad which is 4 miles one way. I had no issue doing that 5 days a week even though people thought I was crazy even my husband. Told a now former friend about it and him and I joked and laughed about the "lazy Americans"

I am disgusted by fat people. I just look at them and judge them and think about how they are just all unburned calories and they need to lose weight and stop being lazy. I still look at obese people and wonder if I was as big as them when I was obese.

I am upset that I can no longer take the stairs to the 4th floor at work and forced to take the elevator because there is something wrong with the badge scanner for me to get into that door. I walk as much as possible so I can just always stay moving because the more you move even fidgeting the more calories you burn.

Replies

• Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I formed my opinion about halfway through. Yes, you sound like you have a pretty severe issue with disordered thinking, eating, and body dysmorphia. Please, please get yourself to some health professionals (probably a therapist and a nutritionist) who are experienced in treating eating disorders, body image struggles, and obsessive behavior/thoughts.

This is no way to live. It disturbs me that part of your thought process includes never being able to trust your husband when he tells you anything about your appearance, and the constant asking him and your other close relatives/friends if you are fat, thin enough, etc. etc.

Please get help! Good luck!
  • Onegirlarmy824
    Onegirlarmy824 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you....you post brought tears to my eyes because I have an outside opinion about this... This is exactly what I needed to hear. Just re-affirming what I already know to be true...

One thing that just BOGGLES my mind is how does someone go from being 284 at 5 ft tall and being pretty much chubby or fat my whole life turn to this far of an extreme the opposite way...I would never have thought this would be the state of mind I would be in...
    Makes me wonder how common this is...

I told my husband (idk if it mentioned it) but I think what messed me up was not becoming a lot thinner but being large my whole life, that is what has given my this "complex" if you will but I do agree it is much more than just a little complex.....
  • Onegirlarmy824
    Options
    Oh and I know people also will read this and think how can this girl be questioning she has an issue and need to hear it from complete strangers...well my head is a mess...just another disclaimer to please not judge me... Which no one has... I am just paranoid I am going to get some trolls popping in here...
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey, my heart breaks for you. Get help quickly!
  • Marlena0708
    Marlena0708 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh, sweetie. Your post really touched me. I'm not a doctor and I don't pretend to be one on the internet, but it is very apparent that your fitness and weight has become the focus of your every waking thought and action. That is just not a healthy state of mind to be in because you are missing so much more of life. I don't think you are "crazy" or anything like that, but I do think you should share all these thoughts and behaviors with a professional who can help you to reframe your thoughts and help you see your weight and fitness goals in the proper context. Your thoughts and behaviors are not in balance; you are not in balance. I got rid of all the extra words in your post and listed the red flags. Please don't cry when you read this list (I know you're going to want to), but this is your everyday reality.

jealous
    depressed
    fat, gross and disgusting
    I fixate
    calorie prisoner
    truly addicted
    can't stop
    I don't trust any of them (husband and family)
    angry
    defensive
    consumed
    worry
    obsessive
    terrified
    I will kill myself
    I can't stop thinking about food and calories burned
    guilty
    drug
    crutch
    scared
    cry
    paranoid
    emotional
    frightened
    control
    failure
    mad
    eating is gross
    comparing
    upset
    anxiety
    compulsively
    afraid
    overachieve
    do the max

Yes, please see a professional and take this list with you. Life is so much more than this. So much more.

(hugs) from the internet.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Making a proper diagnosis isn't easy but as long as you don't feel okay, there's something you should do about it.
    I can understand because I still think about such things sometimes, even though I've learnt that life is way too short to focus on such thoughts. I strongly believe it's not your fault that you've been trapped in this mentality, and I also think you can really overcome it and start looking at yourself and the whole world in a more relaxed way.

I really think you should talk to a therapist about this - I resolved my problems without going to a professional, but it was much harder and honestly there's nothing bad in reaching for help, so go for it and try to work as hard as you can towards finally feeling proud for the great person you are.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I formed my opinion about halfway through. Yes, you sound like you have a pretty severe issue with disordered thinking, eating, and body dysmorphia. Please, please get yourself to some health professionals (probably a therapist and a nutritionist) who are experienced in treating eating disorders, body image struggles, and obsessive behavior/thoughts.

This is no way to live. It disturbs me that part of your thought process includes never being able to trust your husband when he tells you anything about your appearance, and the constant asking him and your other close relatives/friends if you are fat, thin enough, etc. etc.

Please get help! Good luck!

ALL OF THIS
  • mathbug77
    mathbug77 Posts: 10
    Options
    After looking at your profile, you have lost a significant amount of weight in a relatively short period of time. It sounds to me (and I'm not a doctor or medical professional) like your mind hasn't quite caught up with your body in terms of weight loss. That step does take time. I have struggled with this lately too, but I am not as far down the "rabbit hole" as you are.

I would suggest seeking counseling and gathering up some friends on MFP that you can talk to. Having a support system makes it feel less lonely and seeing other people's perspectives can help you through things.

And in case it wasn't clear, you truly are BEAUTIFUL!! Your profile pics are incredible and you should celebrate your successes.
  • lisameister13
    lisameister13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just peaked at your photos-- you were gorgeous before you lost the weight and you are still gorgeous now that you lost it. Better yet, now you're healthier and gorgeous!!

My bet is your family loves you, regardless of how much you weigh so you need to get right with yourself.
    Please find a therapist to talk to,, it really will change your life. If you have trouble opening up and talking about it, bring what you've written here and let your therapist read it.
    Take care of yourself!!
  • Onegirlarmy824
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support. It really means a lot to me everything that has been said. This is almost like an intervention.

I think it is so hard when I look at my thoughts that it is really that bad or severe and just the way life has to be so you don't get obese again. It is also difficult to think you have a "real" problem when you don't actually have a text book ED ie: anorexia or bulimia.
    I am just so afraid because so many people in general and so many people who had WLS gain alot or all of the weight back. I would talk on WLS pages where all it was, was negativity about how they gained weight back. I just CANNOT let it happen! I need to beat the odds and the only way I know how to do it is be obsessively controlling.

Other issues that fall under BDD is I am a perfectionist when it comes to my make up and hair. I retouch my make up several times a day and am constantly primping. When I breakout or have dry skin on my face I pick and pop and mess with it and I can't stop. I don't ever go without some kind of makeup especially cover up. When my skin is breakout bad, I don't even want to go without foundation so my husband will see how terrible my skin is. I always have to be dressed to the nines when it comes to my skin and makeup. So this is an issue related but has nothing to do with weight.

CORRECTION: I missed typed in the OP. I weight around 138. My period is all messed up really late and pretty heavy and getting further and further apart. I used to be 26-28 days now I am like 32-35. Right now I am at 32 days. So I don't know what is going on.

But the good news is I started a new job with really great benefits. I didnt have insurance for about 8 months. So now I can get the help I need and see what I can do treatment wise. I was going to counseling in Boise,ID before we moved to Seattle. It helped but wasn't aim at these kinds of issues. These issues were not as bad then. I already before this suffer from depression,anxiety and some post traumatic issues from childhood abuse, grief from my mom who was one of the most important people in my life passing away in 2007. I have anger issues and mood disorders. I am pretty sure I am Bipolar II. All of this suffering rolled up in one person. My brother is extremely manic and cannot function much in life. He has attempted suicide several times and stayed at mental hospitals. My moms brother and father committed suicide and a cousin on my fathers side.

This is a lot to deal with. I am sorry if this is too honest and too much of telling you my life story but all of this go hand in hand and it is important to just go balls out.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Honey... I can relate to so much of this... Those voices are difficult to tune out. Please seek help. You can do this... ((hugs))
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support. It really means a lot to me everything that has been said. This is almost like an intervention.

I think it is so hard when I look at my thoughts that it is really that bad or severe and just the way life has to be so you don't get obese again. It is also difficult to think you have a "real" problem when you don't actually have a text book ED ie: anorexia or bulimia.
    I am just so afraid because so many people in general and so many people who had WLS gain alot or all of the weight back. I would talk on WLS pages where all it was, was negativity about how they gained weight back. I just CANNOT let it happen! I need to beat the odds and the only way I know how to do it is be obsessively controlling.

Other issues that fall under BDD is I am a perfectionist when it comes to my make up and hair. I retouch my make up several times a day and am constantly primping. When I breakout or have dry skin on my face I pick and pop and mess with it and I can't stop. I don't ever go without some kind of makeup especially cover up. When my skin is breakout bad, I don't even want to go without foundation so my husband will see how terrible my skin is. I always have to be dressed to the nines when it comes to my skin and makeup. So this is an issue related but has nothing to do with weight.

CORRECTION: I missed typed in the OP. I weight around 138. My period is all messed up really late and pretty heavy and getting further and further apart. I used to be 26-28 days now I am like 32-35. Right now I am at 32 days. So I don't know what is going on.

But the good news is I started a new job with really great benefits. I didnt have insurance for about 8 months. So now I can get the help I need and see what I can do treatment wise. I was going to counseling in Boise,ID before we moved to Seattle. It helped but wasn't aim at these kinds of issues. These issues were not as bad then. I already before this suffer from depression,anxiety and some post traumatic issues from childhood abuse, grief from my mom who was one of the most important people in my life passing away in 2007. I have anger issues and mood disorders. I am pretty sure I am Bipolar II. All of this suffering rolled up in one person. My brother is extremely manic and cannot function much in life. He has attempted suicide several times and stayed at mental hospitals. My moms brother and father committed suicide and a cousin on my fathers side.

This is a lot to deal with. I am sorry if this is too honest and too much of telling you my life story but all of this go hand in hand and it is important to just go balls out.

You certainly have a lot going on, and I agree with the other posters who say that you probably have body dysmorphia, among other things. I applaud you for your honesty, and for wanting help with this. I have a lot of "issues" myself, and I tend to focus on ONE particular thing on my body or in my life when I have ZERO control over the rest of my life. Creating perfection in an otherwise chaotic world is a dream for those of us who have too much going on in our heads. But we're not lost causes. We're just on a bumpier path than other people. The road can get smoother. And I have a feeling that yours will, and soon. :flowerforyou: