weights workout doesnt translate in calories burned, y?

Options
Hi I am wondering why running results in calories burned but weight exercise not....i am pretty sure that weights lifting requires energy which equals calories, not?

Cheers

Marco

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think it's because calories burned via weight training are very hard to determine.
  • kmajaVCU
    kmajaVCU Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well the calories calculated for cardio are usually going to be off, too. I suggest getting an HRM watch so you can track yourself more accurately. I use mine for every workout!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The difficulty with calculating calories burned from weight training is that there really is no standard way to lift weights. Some folks might go somewhat fast and move from muscle to muscle with no breaks while others work on a given muscle while breaking between sets. There's no real constant.

Cardio on the other hand tends to be steady state. You move for a given time and the effort involved can be estimated based on level of difficulty and body weight.

Clearly you do burn calories lifting weights though so you can always put in some estimate that seems to fit your routine, it's just a generic estimate will still be generic.
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You can log how ever many minutes of strength training you did under the cardio section. Log it as strength training. It works out to about 309 calories for 60 minutes of training. Then simply log your work out under the strength training section to keep as a log.
  • marcoveringa
    Options
    ok thanks guys understood. just having a hard time to get the hang of things, as i bought a jawbone, but 50% of my exercise is in the water, and this thing isnt waterproof (damn) so if it doesnt log swimming movements and i cant record weights workout as well, it becomes kind of useless to log.

anyway now i understand and will try that way.

Thanks a lot and happy keeping fit all :)

Marco