Recent research on the psychology of weight loss

Options
There's been a fair bit of research recently showing that self-monitoring (keeping track of food eaten, weight, exercise etc.) is one of the most effective ways of losing weight and in particular when it's in an electronic format. This approach is typified in sites such as MyFitnessPal so I was prompted to write a brief post on my psychology blog about MyFitnessPal. What the research isn't so good on is explaining exactly why self-monitoring works. For me, I think it works because it means I don't have to think very hard about calories and stuff because it's all done for me. This lessens the burden. I'd be really interested to hear other people's experiences of why they think Myfitnesspal and self-monitoring in general works (or doesn't work) either by responding to this thread or by commenting on this blogpost. The post is here: http://researchpsych.wordpress.com/2011/01/06/using-electronic-self-monitoring-in-weight-management/ Really interested in hearing other people's experiences! Thanks : D

Jabazure

Replies

• byebyechubbybunny
    Options
    I rekon that this works because you can keep track easily, and if you overeat, you can see that and make the choice to exercise it off. The motivation from others also helps loads i guess :smile:
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Well for me it works because I was home schooled so I always depended on myself for motivation for everything and I agree it's so easy I use my iPod to log so no matter where I am there is no reason to overeat because I can always log :) plus the people on here are amazing!!
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP out of spite. I was a fairly active person prior to joining MFP, completed a sprint distance tri, 1/2 marathon and some large mileage bike rides. I was never able to lose weight despite my activity level. I felt like I didn't eat a lot but once I joined MFP and saw where my calories were coming from and how much I was taking in, it was a real eye opener. MFP has made me more aware, conscience and accountable of my food decisions.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    When using pen and paper and calorie book I would wait until the end of the day to log my food. This resulted in unintentional cheating by not logging everything. I would forget the condiments, sauces, oils used to cook with, or beverages. MFP has taken the PITA factor out of a food journal.
  • kbefit
    kbefit Posts: 116
    Options
    Well....I just started this week and my first weigh-in is tomorrow so I don't know yet if this will work for me but I have a nagging feeling that it will. I was just so sick and tired of paying for weight loss. I've always had the answers, I just need to put them to good use and I don't need a weight loss company to tell me that. And...with the money I save....I can but more skinny clothes! :laugh:
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    self monitoring works for me, as i hate being told what to do, i would rather tell myself what i have to do !
  • chrissic
    chrissic Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    it works......... but you have to journal all foods. Including the oils, butters, dressings, herbs etc you are cooking with.:sad: :tongue:
  • jabazure
    Options
    @tmcowan I was kind of like you- I totally underestimated the calories I was taking in. Also found that being quite active made me complacent but that complacency disappeared when I saw exactly how many calories I was needing to offset with exercise!