The Importance of Protein?

Options
So I am trying to LOSE weight, and I bought a vanilla protein powder (which I plan to mix with water, not milk) that has low sugar and only has about 140 calories per scoop.

I am doing a lot of cardio (for example, I'm about to do my Just Dance 2 routine in a few minutes) and I am wondering if drinking a protein shake immediately after my exercise would be worth it? I'm trying to tone up, yes, but I'm not trying to bulk up AND I'm trying to lose weight, so would simply accounting for the protein shake in my daily calories and then eating accordingly the rest of the day be alright?

I just don't want to take protein and GAIN weight, I've seen that happen to people!

Replies

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    common misconception: its incredible difficult for a woman to "bulk up". not enough testosterone in your diet. unless you are spending hours at the gym lifting very heavy weights, you probably won't get much more than toned.

as long as you account for the calories, the protein shake won't make you gain weight. a post work-out snack should be about half of the calories you burned in your workout. it should be mostly carbs and protein. a protein shake is good as is something like chocolate milk, nuts, etc.
  • lmvolk
    lmvolk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Check your food diary and see if you are getting enough protein in your normal diet. Excess protein cannot be stored as protein, it is used for energy and whatever is not used for energy is converted to fat, just like all other foods. Cardiovascular exercise does not increase your demand for protein (unless you are Lance Armstrong).
    Protein packed foods, on the other hand, do take longer to leave the stomach, so they contribute to feeling full, and they take longer to break down than sugars, so they stay in the bloodstream longer.
    I guess my answer would depend on what you normally eat. Generally, I would say, if you LIKE protein drinks in place of meals or snacks, by all means have them. If you don't like them much, have a healthy snack that you DO like, instead.
  • nickeymhughes
    nickeymhughes Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I count it in my calories and I have 1 scoop and mix with water right after my workout.
  • lexistepps
    lexistepps Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback guys! Based on your recommendations I added 1 scoop of protein powder with 8 oz water for a post-workout recovery snack. I usually have a snack around this time of day anyway, so I figured I would replace it with the protein drink. Turns out the vanilla is delish mixed with water, I can't imagine it with milk!

Thanks again :smile: