anyone been able to get rid of lower belly fat?

Options
Hey, was wondering if anyone has successfully managed to get rid of lower belly fat. And if you have, how did you manage to do it?

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Lose weight.

You cannot target fat. It comes off based on your genetic makeup. Some folks hold it in their bellies, some legs/butt, etc.
  • Fittie4Eternity
    Options
    Ok. I was wondering as I am very nearly underweight (apparently) and as I am a recovering anorexic, he thinks it wouldn't be a good idea for me to lose more weight. Thanks anyway :-)
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It is possible but something that is really hard and will have to work really hard for it. I'm in the process right now, I am eating as healthy as possible and doing the blogilates calendar. It's a mixture of calisthenics (pilates), HIIT, aerobics. Here's a link if you want to print it out or just keep it on your computer and follow it (of course you don't have to if you don't want to). http://blogilates.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/june-2014.jpg
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Lose weight.

You cannot target fat. It comes off based on your genetic makeup. Some folks hold it in their bellies, some legs/butt, etc.

Losing weight is good, but you can't just lose weight and hope for it. As you said some people hold fat in their stomachs. Losing weight is part of it, via healthy eating or calorie counting and exercise is the other part.
  • gmelody66
    gmelody66 Posts: 19
    Options
    well how much do u have to lose? cuz i lost 2 inches detoxing and my stomach went flat
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Rebuild your body. If you trade muscle for that fat, you'll still be in a healthy weight range, but you can banish the belly fat.

"Loose weight" is a very broad stroke that works as a description for many. Reduce body fat is a little more precise.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ok. I was wondering as I am very nearly underweight (apparently) and as I am a recovering anorexic, he thinks it wouldn't be a good idea for me to lose more weight. Thanks anyway :-)
    You can be a low body weight and still have high body fat percentage. As you have found, you can keep losing weight and still have bulge (even close to being underweight). I'd instead suggest stop trying to lose weight, and eat at maintenance and lift weights. You can also do bulk/cut cycles where you gain muscle and fat, then cut fat, then gain muscle and fat, etc. However, as a recovering anorexic, that may be difficult for you mentally.

Here's a good example of how more muscle can make you look leaner even at a higher weight:
    54b9d0ce-b8cb-4f82-b6b5-e2e17713d515_zpsc4e88b7e.jpg

You can read Staci's story here:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

There are also a lot of good threads in the gaining weight/maintaining weight section on women who have had EDs and are trying to get fit/healthy/lean without losing weight.
  • Luvs_Rage_Phish
    Luvs_Rage_Phish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Rebuild your body. If you trade muscle for that fat, you'll still be in a healthy weight range, but you can banish the belly fat.

"Loose weight" is a very broad stroke that works as a description for many. Reduce body fat is a little more precise.

I agree with this. Strength training can change the shape of your body dramatically. Start a lifting program - there are lots of good ones out there. Check out the New Rules for Lifting for Women group here on MFP.
  • gmelody66
    gmelody66 Posts: 19
    Options
    i didn't even know i could be that bloated lol but i do agreed with weight training cause the more i lift the more my abs r feeling tighter well everything feeling tighter really
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you are underweight, don't loose more weight, don't do cardio, do a lots, lots of abs, yoga or pilates to help with the belly fat. I try to eat more proteins than carbs.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Abs work, yoga, and pilates won't help if you're underweight and need to reduce % body fat. You need to start by gaining weight through building muscle.

Head over to the 'Gaining Weight' forum and ask for information there. Plenty of experienced folks there that can help you.