Does anyone else's weight loss graph look similar?

Options
I've been at this for 31 days as of today. I weigh everyday. Not because I'm obcessed with the loss but it maintains my motivation and gives me a visual my body's changes. Has anyone seen this pattern before? I tend to lose overnight by 2+ lbs, then gain back 3 or so, till I gradually dip down again below the previous loss. I'm working out, have cut out regular soda, and eating healthy.

http://i57.tinypic.com/ve2pmt.png

Sorry I can't seem to get the graph to show up.

Replies

• Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Couldn't see your graph and have no idea how to post mine! But I can tell you it will be up and down. I call it a roller coaster. Can't tell you how many times I've lost the same 2 or 3 pounds. As long as over time, it's down, you're fine! Good luck!!!!!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for 31 days as of today. I weigh everyday. Not because I'm obcessed with the loss but it maintains my motivation and gives me a visual my body's changes. Has anyone seen this pattern before? I tend to lose overnight by 2+ lbs, then gain back 3 or so, till I gradually dip down again below the previous loss. I'm working out, have cut out regular soda, and eating healthy.

ve2pmt.jpg

Sorry I can't seem to get the graph to show up.

ETA: That is about what mine would look like if I included the peaks. I record losses only and then wait for it to come back down under where I was before.
  • smpleablissful
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting that for me! And that's good to know.
    I guess that brings up another question. Does everyone usually just record the losses?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Looks like a pretty normal graph to me. I don't even both to record anything other than a new low, so comparing to mine wouldn't be all that useful, but I can have long stretches (a week or more) between new lows, and often (but not always) the new low can be a big one.
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Mine is very similar over the last 90 days! Just need to have a downward trend. Unfortunately, I have not been going downward the last 30 days...too close to goal and the last 3-5 lbs are the hardest! Good luck!
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh yourself at the same time everyday? Do you go to the bathroom or drink anything first?
    I've been weighing myself first thing in the morning after I use the bathroom but before I drink anything. Until today I saw a steady drop. I don't weigh myself daily though.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you're like a lot of people and weigh in the morning after a tinkle, that is the lowest you are going to weigh that day, assuming you hydrate properly. So yeah, many people will gain and lose a gross of 5 pounds over the course of 24 hours. As far as day-to-day weighing goes, if you're strict and don't eat too much sodium, you aren't going to yo-yo much until you get nearer to your goal weight.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    That's perfectly normal. When you gain or lose > 1/2 pound on the scale per day, you're typically just recording non-fat weight fluctuations, usually water weight and undigested matter in your bowels. And for most people there's a lot of fluctuation in that. It's not as though fat goes back on that fast. It's actually pretty hard for your body to make fat, you don't make a lot at once.

(Edited for logic)
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I only record when I hit a new low. But if I did record every day it would zig-zag. I can go up as much as 5lbs in one day. biggest drop was 8lbs from one day to another. Weight loss isn't linear just as long as there is a downward trend you're doing good.
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've used MFP before. The first time I done it I done no exercise and stuck to the 1250 cals it prescribed and lost nearly a stone. Then I went away on a month long work trip and fell off the wagon.

This time round, I've execised and eaten back the calories but haven't lost so much so quickly. I'm not entirely fussed though as I'm losing inches which is a better thing in my opinion. I'm trying not to obsess over weight so much and figure it'll come eventually.
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't record anything but the losses. If I put in my weight every time I weighed in, my graph would be like a seismic recording of an earthquake! :laugh:
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    HOW TO POST A PHOTO, I found this on MFP! Hope this helps!

Hosting the Picture

1) Go to an image-hosting site (for example, photobucket or tinypic- photobucket requires making an account). Upload your picture. To do this, click the button that says "Browse" and choose your photo from there. When you have selected your photo and clicked "OK", click the UPLOAD button.
    2) Wait until it is completely loaded and shows you a bunch of different codes. We're going to use the URL that's called IMG (or Image) code. Highlight the entire code, right click, and click "copy".

Placing the Picture on MFP
    1) Get onto your favorite board or wherever you would like to post the picture, and start your message. Now, right click inside this typing/text box, and click "Paste", The code that you coped earlier should show up. You may notice that the code looks something like this: (without the spaces)

[ IMG ] http://i48.tinypic.com/qqebzq.jpg [ /IMG ]

Well, that's all fine and dandy, except that we can't have those capital letters in there.

2) Take the code that you have down, and change the capital IMG to lowercase img (on both ends of the code), so that it looks something like this: (without the spaces)

[ img ] http://i48.tinypic.com/qqebzq.jpg [ /img ]

3) Write whatever else you feel like writing in the space, then click the Post button, and you're done!!
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    I weigh every day. I get outta bed, pee and weigh in my underwear.

http://goo.gl/PFYM6p

What I find is that I have 2 week flat periods with a little bit of fluctuation.

Outta curiosity, I write down exercise performed and even going to the bathroom on the chart data in Excel just to see if there is a correlation to the drop. If there is, it's not easily visible. I try to think of it as a curiosity rather than an obsession since I know I am doing well to log it and stay in my deficit.
  • Smokey705
    Smokey705 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes this is totally normal. You may even find after doing new or more strenuis exercise and having really sore muscles especially leg muscles and or eating lots of sodium one day that you could go up by 5-14 pounds.

I have had this happen twice now and it is really shocking but you just have to keep eating good and it will go back down. Sometimes it takes me 7-8 days before my weight dips back down to where it should be...
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I don't record anything but the losses. If I put in my weight every time I weighed in, my graph would be like a seismic recording of an earthquake! :laugh:

I have learned the hard way to record all fluctuations!

When I was actively losing I just recorded losses. But that gave me no real data to figure what I needed for maintenance, and I have floundered about a lot and gained. Somewhere along the way I learned that if you keep meticulous intake and weight records, it will help in finding your true TDEE which you will need for maintaining.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Mine is SUPER similar. I, too, wait to record losses, just because I know recording increases bums me out and isn't reflective of what's happening or helpful to my mindset- though of course, YMMV.
    I also heard a great point made on here months ago- if you're a woman, monthly hormonal changes related to your menstrual cycle can mask weight gain or loss. The weight measurements I most trust are the ones I do monthly, at about the same time in my cycle.
  • cheliekayy
    cheliekayy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Mine follows exactly the pattern you describe. Ironically it did the reverse when I was gaining weight.
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Mine is even whackier . :D
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance mode and fluctuate 5-8 lbs depending on time of month, what I ate the day before, etc etc etc. If I'm on an upward trend for more than a week or two I'll try to clean up my diet a little, but I try not to sweat it too much otherwise -mostly water :)
  • smpleablissful
    Options
    thanks =)
    i weigh in the morning, fasting, after i pee. It's good to hear i'm pretty normal. I'm happy for any weight loss, water or not because that is less my body is having to carry around. I recognize the fat lost will be low and slow and I'm good with that. sorry for all the typos. I'm on my cell and it hates me.