no-impact aerobics to do at home?

Options
hmadrone
hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
A month ago, I was diagnosed with pes anserine bursitis and told that I need to lay off dance for a while. Dance and walking were my primary sources of aerobic exercise. I'm able to continue my strength training regimen. I've started up tai chi again, and I'm doing specific stretching and strength exercises to help heal the pes anserine bursitis. I'm still walking as well.

I'm really missing dance! I miss the community. I miss the fun. I miss the endorphin rush.

I'm looking for no-impact exercise that I can do at home without spending a lot of money on equipment. I'm 30 minutes from the nearest gym, so that's not a good option for me. I'm also at the height of pollen season right now, so outdoor activities like biking and swimming are not a good option for me. The local water aerobics class uses a lot of frog-kick motions that aggravate the PAB.

If I have to suck it up and wait for my knees to heal, I can do that. It's a long process, though, and I'm used to getting my regular doses of aerobic exercise.

Replies

• LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    sliders/ gliders under your feet. Can use furniture movers. That's what I do.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine - get one off craiglist if you don't want to spend much money. I got mine for $25 on there. It usually goes for $250 new.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    No impact aerobics.....not sure if either of these will work for you.....not sure if they will be inexpensive enough

Recumbent bike.....if you think this might work, check Craig's list or a thrift store. You may be able to get something second hand

Another idea.....if you like walking, you might "walk" on a mini-trampoline. Really inexpensive models (Gold's Gym, etc) will be pretty stiff to bounce on, walking may be fine. High end mini-tramps have much more give.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine - get one off craiglist if you don't want to spend much money. I got mine for $25 on there. It usually goes for $250 new.

If a rowing machine doesn't bother the bursitis this is a great idea. I used to love my rower for days when I couldn't get outside. Sadly, my wife relegated it to the deck and it rusted out, in spite of being covered.
  • akuaafriyie
    akuaafriyie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    checkout fitnessblender.com at their website or on you-tube they have over 500 free exercises for all levels of fitness. i bet you you wont regret it.
    on their website you can search for the videos by level of difficulty with 1 being easiest and the duration you would want to exercise
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Spark people.com has a lot of free exercises,from seated to full tilt.Google search is also a good place to find what you're looking for.BTW,I do water aerobics without jumping or breast stroke,no nos for me..
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Your aquafit instructor should be able to give you an alternative to frog kicking. My instructor always has other options for things that do not work for me.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Try shadow boxing. Like you're punching a bag or opponent, but without one. YouTube has shadow boxing clips you can follow.
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Gives me some things to research and try.