calories and work

Options
I have my activity level set to "Sedentary", when really i'm on my feet all day (like today i am working at least 11 hours).
I've checked many calorie calculators and they all say that standing for one hour burns 89 calories. I've set this up and i log it as "work".
It makes me feel good to see that i'm burning calories just being at work, but is this harming me in any way? Does it really count at all and should i just switch my activity level to the next one up and not log it?

Any feedback would be great, thanks!

Replies

• rjcactus23
    Options
    I wouldn't count it. It truly isn't "exercise". I posted on another topic that "health" is defined as being able to complete your everyday workday tasks and still have energy to participate in moderate intensity physical activity 5 times a week for pleasure and exercise.

It's probably going to help you to underestimate your caloric expenditure though, because you'll end up burning more than you think and therefore the extra weight lost will be a surprise :) that's just how I do it though. The important thing is to make sure you find some physical activity you enjoy and do it about 5 times a week if you can. Good luck!
  • marix27
    marix27 Posts: 28
    Options
    OK thanks, i'll switch it then. :)

Though i'll miss being able to log it, oh well.
  • daa5849
    Options
    As someone who has spent 8 straight hours standing at work, I would say that it DEFINITELY counts as exercise! The simple fact is that it takes more energy to stand than to sit. Expending energy= burning calories, simple as that.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    As someone who has spent 8 straight hours standing at work, I would say that it DEFINITELY counts as exercise! The simple fact is that it takes more energy to stand than to sit. Expending energy= burning calories, simple as that.

Well, others may consider that this is not exercise but daily activity level. There's nothing definite about it.