40 days without a proper workout and I feel . . . better?

Options
That sounds so very wrong - I ought to feel worse! However, for the first time in years my joints (knees and hips especially, where I have deteriorating cartilage) have stopped hurting and I feel fantastic!

I haven't been inactive - I'm one of those people who has a hard time sitting still - I just haven't been working out. (I had been doing Turbulence Training 3X/week for about 8 months. Before then I did cardio and ordinary strength training on free weights 4-5 days/week.)

I'm 45 and (considering the absence of agreeable alternatives) continuing to age - but I'm not ready to give up the gym for yoga and water aerobics just yet! So, I'd love to hear from others who've successfully modified their workouts to reduce joint pain, but without giving up the gym/lifting.

Replies

• JJY888
    JJY888 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    High reps, low weight, and work the muscle to fatigue... You will continue to grow muscle.:tongue:
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    Actually, working yoga into your weekly workout routine might help. And trust me, it's a work out if you do it right.
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    What are you doing in place of 'workouts'?
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options

Playing (which might loosely be called "exercise" and (spring) cleaning, which is activity, but not "exercise."

I've two boys, ages 6 and 7, who are always happy for hiking, biking, skating, frisbee playing, creek wading, nerf fighting, ball throwing company and I engage regularly.

I also clean house, A LOT. Even though I work, I am so particular that I've given up on hiring help, and my family members josh me about being OCD. (I am not OCD, but I may have the superhuman ability to see dirt that other people can't, and I have a lot of restless energy. It's hard for me to sit still.)
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Actually, working yoga into your weekly workout routine might help. And trust me, it's a work out if you do it right.

I'm not opposed to adding yoga - I do some already, and maybe should do more. Thanks.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    That sounds so very wrong - I ought to feel worse! However, for the first time in years my joints (knees and hips especially, where I have deteriorating cartilage) have stopped hurting and I feel fantastic!

I haven't been inactive - I'm one of those people who has a hard time sitting still - I just haven't been working out. (I had been doing Turbulence Training 3X/week for about 8 months. Before then I did cardio and ordinary strength training on free weights 4-5 days/week.)

I'm 45 and (considering the absence of agreeable alternatives) continuing to age - but I'm not ready to give up the gym for yoga and water aerobics just yet! So, I'd love to hear from others who've successfully modified their workouts to reduce joint pain, but without giving up the gym/lifting.
    I inadvertantly took about 50 days off this past winter.
    We had a very, very hard winter here in the midwest united states with record snow. I usually love running in the snow and did again this year...for awhile. I just got sick of it and stopped running for awhile. Didnt put any weight on really, but my body this spring is feeling refreshed after running 5X/week for 6-7 years. I think I just needed a break from all the pounding on the roads
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    High reps, low weight, and work the muscle to fatigue... You will continue to grow muscle.:tongue:

This works everywhere but the knees and hips. I'm beginning to wonder if, when my orthopedic surgeon told me "no squats, lunges, or leg extensions," he meant "NO squats . . . " and not "MODIFIED squats . . . " :ohwell:
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Playing (which might loosely be called "exercise" and (spring) cleaning, which is activity, but not "exercise."

I've two boys, ages 6 and 7, who are always happy for hiking, biking, skating, frisbee playing, creek wading, nerf fighting, ball throwing company and I engage regularly.

I also clean house, A LOT. Even though I work, I am so particular that I've given up on hiring help, and my family members josh me about being OCD. (I am not OCD, but I may have the superhuman ability to see dirt that other people can't, and I have a lot of restless energy. It's hard for me to sit still.)

Cleaning is a workout if you ask me! Hey, if you want to burn even more cals come on over to my house! Great job finding an alternative to 'workout's that leaves your body not sore or achy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'll be 40 years old in a couple of months...I can't go the way I used to go and I don't recover the way I used to recover. I can't go balls to the wall 7 days per week...I have to have properly scheduled rest days...generally two rest days per week.

My primary cardiovascular work is cycling with some swimming thrown into the mix during the summer months. I don't do much in the way of high impact aerobics or running or anything like that as they just do a number on my joints.

I started back in the weight room about 18 months ago with Starting Strength which was beneficial in bringing back a reasonable base of strength and then moved on to Wendler's 5/3/1...but ultimately, I'm not a power lifter and ultimately, I have recovery issues with lifting like this so I've recently started on New Rules of Lifting Supercharged which runs you through cycles of metabolic circuit type training with lighter weights and higher reps and some hypertrophy stuff and strength...but you're always switching it up so it's not always "heavy". I'm also reading New Rules of Lifting for Life which I recommend for ideas when you need to supplement certain movements due to injury or other health issues...it's geared more towards the 40+ crowd.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options

Cleaning is a workout if you ask me! Hey, if you want to burn even more cals come on over to my house! Great job finding an alternative to 'workout's that leaves your body not sore or achy.

Funny you should say that. Sometimes I do feel the urge to clean OTHER people's houses, but I refrain because, in most cases, I think it would be rude.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I'll be 40 years old in a couple of months...I can't go the way I used to go and I don't recover the way I used to recover. I can't go balls to the wall 7 days per week...I have to have properly scheduled rest days...generally two rest days per week.

My primary cardiovascular work is cycling with some swimming thrown into the mix during the summer months. I don't do much in the way of high impact aerobics or running or anything like that as they just do a number on my joints.

I started back in the weight room about 18 months ago with Starting Strength which was beneficial in bringing back a reasonable base of strength and then moved on to Wendler's 5/3/1...but ultimately, I'm not a power lifter and ultimately, I have recovery issues with lifting like this so I've recently started on New Rules of Lifting Supercharged which runs you through cycles of metabolic circuit type training with lighter weights and higher reps and some hypertrophy stuff and strength...but you're always switching it up so it's not always "heavy". I'm also reading New Rules of Lifting for Life which I recommend for ideas when you need to supplement certain movements due to injury or other health issues...it's geared more towards the 40+ crowd.

Fantastic! Thanks.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Boy this thread is depressing - You guys make it sounds like it all goes to Hell when you're in your 40s. :noway:

I just turned 40 in January and am working out as much if not more, lifting heavier than I ever have, and feel absolutely incredible. Sure I get sore from time to time, but you just suck it up. If I took 40 days off from training I would go nuts, and would probably lose a lot of the muscle that I've worked so hard to build.

As you get older it becomes more important than ever to continue to lift and exercise. I understand that some may not be able to do it like they did 10-15 years ago due to injuries, health issues etc., but as you get older bone density goes to crap, and your joints, tendons and ligaments get weaker unless you do something about it.
  • ronbo62098
    ronbo62098 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If I had a nickle for every time an MFPer told me this would NOT work I could retire early. I personally don't know if it will work or not, butt the consensus of heavy lifters on this site is a definite "no".

To the OP: at 48, I'm definitely feeling your pain (quite literally). I'm a cardio guy with just light lifting, but basically when the knees start to hurt I back off a bit. A little sore is OK, but if it's real pain, it's not a good thing and needs to be addressed.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am 49 andI work out a lot, six days a week. By the sound of it you have not given up exercise....hiking, playing ball with your kids...are all exercises! Cleaning your house is not sedentary either, sitting on your sofa would be.

Stef.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i don't think there is anything wrong with doing more intense style workouts as you get older, you just have to be real about how much time you need to adaquetly rest in between
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Boy this thread is depressing - You guys make it sounds like it all goes to Hell when you're in your 40s. :noway:

If I had a suitable alternative for you, I would advise you NOT to age. Unfortunately . . .