Dieting without a gall bladder?

Options
My body processes things differently without my gall bladder. Anyone in the same boat? Add me!

Replies

• AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about 9 years ago - I just keep my cholesterol intake low. I haven't made any other changes, nor have I had trouble losing weight. Good luck to you!
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Had mine out about 15 years ago. No problems at all. Good luck!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    had mine removed about 19 years ago, no issues...
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I became a vegetarian, gave up caffeine and sugar and my body functions much better.
  • k5jackie
    k5jackie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mine was taken out 5 years ago. I still have trouble with really fatty foods. You would think that would stop me from trying . . . . Anyway, I absolutely can lose weight without it. I have to be careful around beef and dairy; I can consume it, just not tons, or I'm suffering later. Sometimes, though, it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, my body reacts quickly and negatively. I wonder if I do not have celiacs . . . .
  • k5jackie
    k5jackie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just foods with sugar in them? or anything with sugar? I assume you still eat fruits and such . . . I've thought about trying this. I am caffeine free because of migraines.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 11 years ago.No issues at all. Are you suppose to eat differently without one?:huh:
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I've never dined with a gall bladder.. just a handsome man every so often....

Sorry, I had to do it. :happy:
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed about 6 years ago. I only have issues with salad dressings and very fatty foods. Now That i'm eating a lot better I havent had any issues at all
  • gmhenry2014
    gmhenry2014 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi Jess. You can add me. Had mine out 10 years ago. No problems with weight loss. Some folks have problems digesting fats in their diet. Although I've had no issues. Basically bile doesn't reach the stomach, to aid digestion. If you're having problems, look into bile salts.
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about 10 years ago, I was only 17yrs old. I had a lot of problems with bloat, stomach pains, acid reflux, and eating certain things (leafy greens, broccoli, fatty things). I've been going to the doctor for a loooooooong time with digestion issues. I'm not sure if it's related to my gall bladder but it does seem I had sudden difficulties when it was gone
  • MCLigon72
    MCLigon72 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have no gallbladder. No right kidney. A bum left knee. No thryoid (cancer free for 5 years). Basically, all my "optional" organs are gone. AND...in one week, I will be having a hysterectomy. That will be surgery #19 for me.

It is a daily struggle for me to make the right choices and I have to concentrate on what I eat when. I try to have a positive attitude and a quick sarcastic mouth.

Good luck.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    My body processes things differently without my gall bladder. Anyone in the same boat? Add me!

I had mine removed 3 years ago (good riddance!!!). I have no issues since!
  • mom2aeris
    mom2aeris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am glad to hear all this information from people without their gallbladders, because I may or may not have to get mine removed in a while. The weirdest thing is that going from a low fat diet to a high fat, low carb diet over the last 3 1/2 months I have only had 1 gallbladder attack. I used to get them pretty much twice or three times a month, and now I really don't. The one time I did is cuz I ate french fries and 8 chicken wings in one sitting. >.< (Which... I should have known better...) My acid reflux has gotten a *lot* better too. Weird, right?
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Gallbladder removal is extremely common. No need to worry about it. It won't keep you from your fitness goals.
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 2 years ago, with a 12 or so inch gash scar and a second belly button where I had to have a tube coming out of me for 6 weeks. I don't know if it causes issues with weight loss, but I did gain weight after it came out. I think it was my diet for a while afterward and not moving too much, but it has been 2 years so all those issues are gone except the weight is still here. I get full really fast and have issues with certain things and cannot eat until my entire body is ready or I stay nauseous all day long. I feel bloated with any ingestion. I don't know if that has anything to do with my gallbladder being out though, as I had it before too.
  • tarak75103
    tarak75103 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out in 2007 and ever since I have had alot of issues with digesting things. If I eat anything with peelings like grapes I end up in alot of pain. I also have that lovely huge scar and no feeling really on my right side under my belly button. I have a hard time getting my tummy flat from belly button down but belly button up I am completely flat. I dont do good with anything that is high MSG anymore. If it is greasy I my body doesnt like it either or gassy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Had mine out 13 years ago. My biggest problem is if I don't eat enough, I produce too much bile that it ... well ... goes straight through me, which makes bathroom times super painful. I am having less problems with this since changing my eating habits, but I still have about a 45 second window of opportunity to find a restroom once my body tells me I need it. I have noticed that since cutting carbs per my endocrinologist's instructions that I am much more complicated while my body adjusts. I hope these problems do not stay around once my body balances out, because honestly, I just might stay obese rather than deal with all the bathroom awkwardness... (hugs) and positive thoughts to anyone else suffering!

Anyone interested, feel free to add me. Please just send a message, too!
  • mariepoole52
    mariepoole52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I had my gall bladder out in 1976 and have been on a diet for ever. the only thing I find hard is spicy food, full fat milk and to much cheese.:smile:
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Had mine out 13 years ago. My biggest problem is if I don't eat enough, I produce too much bile that it ... well ... goes straight through me, which makes bathroom times super painful. I am having less problems with this since changing my eating habits, but I still have about a 45 second window of opportunity to find a restroom once my body tells me I need it. I have noticed that since cutting carbs per my endocrinologist's instructions that I am much more complicated while my body adjusts. I hope these problems do not stay around once my body balances out, because honestly, I just might stay obese rather than deal with all the bathroom awkwardness... (hugs) and positive thoughts to anyone else suffering!

Anyone interested, feel free to add me. Please just send a message, too!

I do notice that when it is time for #2, I have to go NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, or I can possibly poop my pants. I have absolutely no control since my gall bladder is out.