At what calorie level is starvation mode?

Options
Hi All,
My daily calorie goal is 1200 calories. Some days that seems easy to achieve, other days it's hard. I'm usually within that by +/- 50 calories. I should preface this by saying this is my first week on plan. So far I've seen a loss. But my big question (or fear) is at what point does your body go into starvation mode? Is 1200 calories enough? I feel like maybe I should take one meal or one day "off plan" just to mix it up a bit and keep my metabolism guessing. I've heard it's not good to stay at 1200, 1200, 1200, 1200 day after day. Am I okay at 1200 and starvation mode is for anything significantly less than 1200? I should also point out I'm not an exerciser, but on the days I do exercise I try to eat more as the posts here have instructed.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Replies

• BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    1200 is abosolute minimum for calorie intake.

There really is no set amount of calories where you suddenly drop into starvation mode.

Starvation mode happens when your body is telling you it's hungry and you don't feed it then your metabolism slows down to compensate. This is why it's important to eat small portions and eat frequently and to eat when you genuinely feel hungry (not just bored and got the munchies) even if you might go over your calorie goal for the day.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    1200 is not a strict number as starvation mode is at a different caloric level for each person. a shorter or more active person will have a lower caloric count for starvation mode than a taller or less active person. the best way to see if your daily calories is working for you is monitoring your weight loss. stalled weight loss is can be an indicator of metabolic stalling. also, if your body is still hungry at only 1200 calories, listen to it and eat more.
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    Agree with Ziaki 100%
  • michelleoelkers
    Options
    Hi there

What I have always been taught is never to drop below 1200 calories and what I have recently been researching is that women need more lean protien to lose weight and maintain your lean muscle mass which helps or metabolism speed up and keep running....we need a minimum of 75-100grams of lean protein a day, and we can get that from plant based, dairy based products also it's not just animal protien that is out there....
  • misskimlilac
    misskimlilac Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer but I can relate....I started one Wed with ww point plus (very loosley, I didnt join but am following with a friend) they say I should be 30 points but the closest I have come is 19. Then I started MFP on Friday and haven't hit 1200 cals yet either. I certainly feel like I am eating all day though and have only felt like I was starving once yesterday ( but I think I was bored~and that is not a good thing). Curious to see what others say...Thanks for posting :wink:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Occasionally going under the 1200 is ok. You don't want it to be the norm though. Try to keep above 1200 net calories per day to keep your body working properly. After your body gets used to the 1200 and weight loss slows, you may need to bump it up a bit to keep the weight loss moving steady. I found my body does best around 1400 net per day for steady weight loss. Trial and error.
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the base for weight loss without any activity but with activity you can eat more. The more you exercise = the more you can eat (and still lose weight). It sounds irrational but it works.

If you go less than 1200 calories your body goes in to starvation mode, so it is VERY important to eat back your exercise calories. If a person was eating 1200 calories and exercising burnt 500 calories you would only be running on 700 calories to feed your body. But eating those 500 calories puts you back at 1200 for feeding your body. So in actuality you have eaten 1700 calories for the day.

Hope this helps.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't start at a calorie level. Starvation mode can start at more than 1200 calories if you require much more. I can definitely attest to that from firsthand experience! Just keep reassessing your goals on MFP so you make sure your calorie intake is what it should be and eat as many of your exercise calories as you can.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    1200 is used as a good base and should be followed, but I'm short and much smaller framed than average. I've been told that my starvation mode minimum calories is more likely around 700-900 calorie range. Either way, I try to consistently hit 1200 and eat back 50-80% of exercise calories, but I certainly don't freak out if I have a day or two when I'm lower.
  • TootMama
    Options
    I am working hard to lose weight. When I followed Weightwatchers pretty stingently, I lost 5 pounds. I had been doing body pump (a weekly weight lifting class usually taught and attended by women offered by Gold's Gym) and saw a huge difference in the inches lost. I vowed not to get frusted by the weight not coming off as I believe that muscle weighs more than fat. Does this mean that perhaps I should try to eat more protein as opposed to carbs? Does anyone have a similar experience or know what to do if you tend to gain muscle weight instead of losing fat weight?
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Hi there!

Let me say this: While slipping below your calories for the day once in a while isn't going to send you spiraling into starvation mode, making it a habit will. In my experience, its too easy to say oh I ate 1150 today, I can eat 1100 tomorrow. I'm sure I will see more of a weight loss if I eat at more of a deficit so I'm going to eat at 1050. 1200 is THE minimum. In my weight loss journey it eventually got to a point where when I plateaued with my weight loss, I realized that I needed to start eating more. Sounds backwards but its true. If I had my weight loss set at 2 pounds a week I would then set it to 1.5 pounds a week. It gives you more calories to eat. When this happens, up your exercise as well if only by a little bit. So I guess my bottom line is, do not eat below 1200. THAT is the mark to not fall below. Way too many times I did and completely plateaued. I remember when I finally made the connection between that and my weight loss. I lost 5 pounds in a three day period when I upped my calories. You have to find what works best for you. :o) But what works best for everyone is not eating below 1200.
  • hurley87
    Options
    Like people have said there is no same starvation mode for everyone depends on person.I used to eat toones and tonnes through my pregnancy.My daughter is 11 weeks old and i started my diet jan 1st ive been eating under 500 cals and working off atleast 100 a day everyday and in 9 days i have lost 7lbs.I have noticed a big change to my tummy, ive lost alot of water weight and tonnes of bloating and i feel good.But ive got to the point where i can eat that few and still be active with my kids and not feel wasted away.I eat plenty of fruit and veg and doing great so for me 500 cals is starvation mode for me, although i dnt recommend it for anyone as its unhealthy .