Need some advice

Options
Advice needed please... (please no negativity or sarcasm, thank you).

I was on maintenance using TDEE method for a while. I recently went on vacation, ate really healthy and walked, did some light running in the mornings. The amount of food eaten was over the top what with the resort being all inclusive with many delightful options. Anyway, upon coming back about a week ago I switched back to a low calorie low fat nutrition plan, counting my exercise calories. I feel that I need to drop a pound or two... a few ounces, etc. I have not weighed myself yet and plan to hold off until the end of the month. I am eating clean/healthy as evidenced by my diary and getting my regular daily exercise. However, I have found myself back into a cycle of having an extremely low daily net, which I know is not healthy. I have also found that once I get behind on my calories, it is nearly impossible to catch back up. For example, I was absolutely stuffed last night and could not eat anything more despite only having a net of around 376 for the day. Of course I was wicked hungry this morning and ate a really good and filling breakfast. Even though my belly feels full... my body feels hungry. I am not sure if that makes any sense but it's the only way I know how to describe the feeling.

So my question is this... How do I lose the vacation weight while maintaining a low calorie/low fat diet and still get my exercise?

Thanks!

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Are you confident in your exercise cal burns? They seem high. I don't have any trouble eating my cals so I don't have much advice.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason why you are low fat? And why 1200 calories but then calorie burns in 600-900 range? Is your maintenance really 1400 calories (how tall are you)?
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar but different situation. I've recently cut back from 1.5 pounds a week goal to 1. That extra 250 calories is turning out to be quite a lot. I am getting to the end of the day with most of that still remaining, as I haven't been hungry during the day and my dinner is filling.

So I've started doing what I've read others suggest here; high caloric density foods that help meet my macros. I've been low on protein, so I've started eating nuts as a snack. They pack quite a bit of calories per ounce and boost my protein. An ounce of those between lunch and dinner hits the spot.

If you are working out so much to be coming in at less than 400 net, you need to do something. Perhaps pastas or other carb-dense foods.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    it seems like all you need to do differently is up your cal intake. just try eating calorie dense foods, or drink some chocolate or 2% or higher milk which wont fill you up but give you a good source of calories while having a decent balance of carbs fat and protein. remember that dietary fat is much different than fat on your body, there is little reason to go low fat unless there are underlying concerns
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Why do you do LOW FAT ?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    To answer some of the questions posed...

I am 5'5" tall. I had switched to whole foods (not, not-fat) on maintenance and then back to low fat or no fat after vacation in order to lose the few ounces (fat) that I gained during vacation, no fat/low fat has worked for me in the past. I chose 1200 because that had also worked for me in the past. The 1200 is only intended for a few weeks to get back to my maintenance weight. The calorie burn, while seemingly high, is accurate within a few numbers. I usually do a quick "wake up" burn in the morning, do some cardio and/or weights in the afternoon and then my regular exercise session in the evenings. That along with my daily movement tracked via FitBit ends up being quite a bit of calories burned throughout the day. I have at times used the FitBit, my Nano and the calorie counter from an exercise machine along with with FitBit program and MFP program to estimate the number for any given calorie burn. They are all very close so I take an average and usually round down. I have no medical issues. I feel that my macro's are set accordingly as a high protein, low carb, lower than average fat intake works well for my body. I consistently go slightly over my carbs but not by too much and feel that I've found a pretty good balance.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but somewhere in my head I feel that if I eat more calories I'll put the weight back on... silly I know, but a mental block just the same.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds ridiculous, but somewhere in my head I feel that if I eat more calories I'll put the weight back on... silly I know, but a mental block just the same.
    its not ridiculous, is something alot of us have struggled with either currently or in the past. its just part of this whole weight loss game, mind over matter

if low fat works for you, then its more than fine, just start eating a little more so you dont do damage to yourself
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So my question is this... How do I lose the vacation weight while maintaining a low calorie/low fat diet and still get my exercise?

Thanks!

My advice is to stop eating low fat. Fat is necessary.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Ok, I put your info into Scooby's workshop TDEE calculator (45,F, 5'5", 110 lbs which I guessed from your profile) and 5-6 hrs/wk strenuous exercise, which is probably underestimating. I set it for a 5% reduction, and a message popped up saying "already underweight, consult a doctor." Obviously that is based on what I pulled from your profile, so your actual weight would be needed to calculate the numbers exactly. But if that's anywhere in the ballpark, I'm not sure I disagree with Scooby's assessment of the situation.

With the numbers I input, it gave me the following:

BMR: 1220
    TDEE: 2105 (but this is probably higher because I went conservative on the exercise count)
    TDEE - 5%: 2000

I'll be honest, I am concerned for your health from what you've told us about height, activity level, and diet, and what I am guessing is your weight from your profile. You should be eating a lot more than you are, and from your diary it looks like you have been eating a low calorie diet and overexercising for some time now. You're doing quite a number on your body and that's not healthy. I would encourage you to talk to someone to make sure you haven't damaged your body and to discuss your concerns about being afraid to eat more.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's just not water weight from your vacation? It appears you were relatively active during your vacation with walks and morning runs. Any way I would suggest just a slight deficit of around 250 calories, take your time losing the vacation weight since you are not in a hurry to weigh yourself. Are your clothes that tight? Or not fitting at all?

I'm just a little confused as to why you are in such a rush to lose the vacation weight and appear to be stressing yourself out over it. You went and lived life and that's great. Now you're home just get back into the regular routine, eat at a small deficit and the weight will come back off. No need for drastic measures IMO.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Thank you for your concerns. To be honest a while ago I was going about it in all the wrong ways, essentially starving myself and for no good reason. Live and learn... I also did my calculations in Scoobys and had my calories set at around 1475 or so for losing about a half a pound per week based on my weight at the time of between 115 to 120. As we know, weight and nutrition varies from day to day.

Yes, I find that a low fat diet does truly work for me... I just feel better in general.

My clothes are not tight, fitting the same but I can tell that I have some extra ounces. I can't determine if it's fat or if it's just lose skin.

I guess I am in a rush to lose the vacation weight because it's just in my nature to obsess and go about things full steam ahead.

It could be a combo of water/salt/sugar. I did eat a lot of sugar while on vacation and I don't normally do that :)
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    So to get this straight, you are worried about a few ounces???
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Yes, I worry about a few ounces that could potentially turn into a few pounds...
    To each their own.
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    Yes, I worry about a few ounces that could potentially turn into a few pounds...
    To each their own.
    yes but you do realize your body can fluctuate many pounds which is totally normal. To worry about ounces if your clothes fit the same and you look the same seems pretty silly if you really think about it. Maybe you should not weigh yourself for a while, if it causes you that much worry!!!!
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Yes of course I realize that. However, it's my body not yours and I know how I feel at my normal maintenance weight. A few ounces or pounds or clothes fitting or not, I am very attuned to my body and know there is a difference. Weighing myself does not cause me worry. In fact, prior to starting my journey a little over a year ago, I had not weighed myself ever. The only time I got weighed was at the doctors office. My mother never even owned a scale growing up, still doesn't.

But... I am not here to argue my personal feelings, thoughts or beliefs on the matter so thanks anyway.

For those of you who gave me legit thoughts and advice... thank you!
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I would drink a ton of water, you may already be doing that. I have found if I over do it and then get right back on track, it takes 3-4 days of getting back at it and drinking a ton of water. Things usually start to even out.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm fairly new at this and I'm still learning.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't stress yourself out over this because you don't even know if you actually gained any weight. Your fear of gaining weight during your vacation is probably effecting your undereating now. Since you aren't going to weigh yourself until the end of the month then wait until you have more facts before changing your routine. Otherwise, hop on the scale tomorrow and then make your decision if change is needed. Either way, you know the drill and should eat more food in order to meet your body's nutrient requirements. Your body knows it can consume more food and still lose or maintain. It's your mind that you have to convince.
  • Nireedk
    Nireedk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Cushman, cushman, cushman ... I can't believe as focused as you are, determined, successful, etc. that you are actually going to play mind games with yourself and not weigh yourself until some undetermined time. Go ahead, be strong, step on the scale and check out the damage. 1-2 lbs could probably be attacked with a lot of water. Even though you ate healthy, you were on vacation being served food and often restaurant food has extra salt, preservatives, etc. You may even find that there was no damage done per the scale, but a shifting due to water weight, etc.

And this may be silly, but my secret weapon in times of no exercise or eating the wrong foods is TRISCUITS!!! Well ... seems to work for me anyway!
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Hahahaha... Kay, kay, kay... thanks, you are 100% correct.
    But I am still not going to weigh myself until next Friday (not tomorrow), a week from tomorrow. :smooched:
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    I would drink a ton of water, you may already be doing that. I have found if I over do it and then get right back on track, it takes 3-4 days of getting back at it and drinking a ton of water. Things usually start to even out.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm fairly new at this and I'm still learning.

Thanks! Makes perfect sense...