Help please! Negitive Calories...

Options
I'm gonna make this simple so I dont confuse myself or anyone else.. lol =)

GOOD OR BAD?? WHY??

Goal Food Exercise Net
1210 777 1144 -367

Goal Food Exercise Net
1210 767 1070 -303

This is what I had for the past 2 days. I have felt great, lots of energy, eating good just watching what I eat and how I cook it. Sleeping better, waking up better. I just feel great! But I wanna make sure I'm doing this healthy also!

Replies

• mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    of course you can lose weight by starving your body...

is it healthy? no
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It is definitely bad. Simply put, you are starving your body. While this may help you lose weight for a little while, your body is going to go into panic mode, and store every calorie you give it as excess fat. You'll stop losing weight, and it's just not healthy for a number of other reasons.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said....bad bad bad.

Might feel good now, but you'll soon crash. And hard.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    700 calories on food per day is not enough..im not one to push eating the excercise calories but you definately need to eat at least 1200-1400...
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Ahhh... be careful. I lost weight tooo fast at first and next thing ya know I was losing HAIR too. I felt fine, plenty of energy, ignored the hunger pangs because I was determined, but I paid for it with hanks of hair coming out in the shower like I was on chemo or something. Better to keep as close to those nutrition goals as possible! A few days of being under here and there shouldn't be a problem but I did it for months and yeah, it was a problem. (My hair has grown back since I've made extra efforts on nutrition, thank goodness, LOL!)
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    No, it's not good. This thread should explain why ---->
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • lsiberian
    Options
    A deficit of 500 calories and no more for losing weight is best I would even caution some people to 300 calories.
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Wow, what are you doing to burn that many calories a day??
  • GorgeousMani
    GorgeousMani Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    that is not healthy what so ever...and when u start to eat normally u will gain it back....

and then some more!

not good at all...this sight what this site is for
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping that common sense prevails and you start to do some serious research on your nutrition. It would be very simple to google "nutrition, calories, exercise" and a host of other topics and you would find a plethora of information. The boards here are packed full of information, questions asked and questions answered.

Another MFPer posted this a short while ago (and I saved it because it was a very good explanation).

"I wanted to break it down a bit for newbies and maybe a few long timers that have questions regarding calorie deficits. I see a lot of people on here just setting a 2 lb goal and not thinking about it again, I wanted to explain a few things.

INTRO:
    OK so you're a newbie (or maybe not so new), you go through the goals wizard, and of course, you set your weight loss goal to the maximum. Everyone does it, but is it right? Maybe, maybe not. Moving to a healthy lifestyle with diet is trickier than just lowering your calorie deficit, there are things to consider, and work to be done. You need to make some hard choices along the way, and do some self-analysis to see where you really fit in this plan. Everything we do should be tailored to our individual needs. While there are general concepts that will work for everyone, results WILL vary. With that in mind, here's what I've come up with, boiled down to the important stuff that everyone should be able to digest. For a more detailed explaination of our metabolic process, please read this post:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

How your body thinks on calories:
    Our body uses calories as energy. There are 3 main types of food out there called macro nutrients; they are carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. ALL macro nutrients are vital to good health, and while the body may subsist in the absence of one (namely carbohydrates) for most of us, living a carb free life is difficult at best, a serious commitment for sure, and untenable for most.
    When the metabolism is in balance between energy taken in and energy expended (Total Daily Energy Expenditure or TDEE) we maintain our weight. When we create a REASONABLE deficit, we lose weight, when we create a calorie surplus, our body converts any unusable extra energy to one of 3 types of fat (none of which are good generally speaking). While we need a certain percentage of body fat to be healthy, over that amount is unnecessary, and when that fat percentage begins to become high (around 18% for men, and around 28% for women), it begins putting stress on other parts of the body (heart, lungs, joints, muscles ...etc)

What happens when the deficit becomes larger than the body likes:
    The human body has evolved from a state where food sources were either abundant or scarce. Evolution has built mechanisms into our body to deal with this. The process commonly referred to as "starvation mode" is a response to less calories than the body needs to sustain full efficiency over an extended period (usually begins after 3 to 5 days of lower than required energy). Without going into the details of hormone responses, basically what happens during starvation mode is that the body recognizes a lack of fuel, and in order of importance it begins to shut down, or slow down organ function and brain activity. Because of the time involved, and that it takes extremes for organs to completely shut down, we may or may not immediately notice the changes that occur.

Why does this concern you? Because the TDEE goes down in starvation mode. This means that what you THOUGHT was your maintenance calories, and what any calorie calculator will say your TDEE is will be wrong, it will be lower. That means less of a deficit than expected, and sometimes none at all (surplus is even possible).

What else happens: as a secondary effect of starvation mode, our body begins fat conservation and muscle deterioration. These processes are symapthetic. When the body sees a calorie deficit, it will begin the process in earnest of breaking down existing muscle tissue to convert the amino acids into glycogen for fuel, it will also store any calories deemed non-vital as body fat. Muscles not being used are broken down, muscles in use will still be scavanged, but at a lower rate.

Caveats:
    The above is all true for people with normal levels of fat. By that I mean someone who has a slightly low percentage of body fat, to someone who has a slightly high percentage of body fat. People who have abused their body and are considered very obese or morbidly obese (starting somewhere around 35% body fat) have a different set of rules. Starvation mode generally doesn't apply, or applies less to these people because the extreme availability of extra fuel resources blunts the body's need for extra energy, and while people who are morbidly obese can still have a stunted metabolic rate, they can still generally sustain a large calorie deficit (over 1000 calories below TDEE) without further lowering their metabolism.

What this means:

For all you guys out there that are relatively active, and/or don't have extreme amounts of weight to lose, setting that goal of 2 lbs per week is usually a mistake. For all the reasons above, you need to temper your attempt at weight loss, give it time, and be consistent.
    Regarding exercise. Generally exercise is considered an add-on on the MFP site. That means that MFP allready gives you a calorie deficit. Exercising after should create a zero sum number after that deficit. That means that since you're already at a calorie deficit, any exercise you do should be balanced by eating that amount of calories to KEEP you at that pre-existing calorie deficit.

Figuring out what you SHOULD be eating every day to maintain (TDEE) and deciding how big your calorie deficit should be can be daunting, don't be afraid to query others on this site, there are many knowledgeable and helpful people on here. If you are still confused, seek out a registered dietitian and use their services. And by all means, check the general section of the forums for the sticky posts, which have lots of resources available to help you better understand.

hope this helps! "

-Banks
  • monis01
    monis01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Stick to the plan as close as possible... Sometimes I feel like I'm eating way to much. But if enough people say it's BAD, I would trust the majority!! :happy:
  • grumpz
    grumpz Posts: 30
    Options
    I'd be eating my right arm, then the left, then looking at my legs for dessert!!! Not healthy at all.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It's like when you are sick with the flu, like I am right now and you can't eat much, sure you will lose several pounds but once you start eating normally again you will gain back a couple of those lost pounds and yes it sucks but better to eat healthy at around 1200-1400 a day. If you burn some off, great but stay within normal calorie range.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. But eat GOOD food. Here are some websites to get you started:

http://www.glycemicindex.com/
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mediterranean-diet/CL00011
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/NU00195
    http://www.healthy-quick-meals.com/
    http://helpguide.org/life/fast_food_nutrition.htm

And not to scare you too much, but here are some ways that eating too little and exercising too much can affect your body, not just your weight loss:

http://www.healthtree.com/articles/eating-disorders/anorexia/health-effects/

Hopefully you can make some better choices and keep your body healthy and strong as you lose weight. Being skinnier is not worth trading one health problem for another. Good luck!
  • MomOfThree123
    Options
    Thanks to those of you who answered! I asked the question because I wamt to make sure I do this healthy. I have never ate alot and now that Im eatin more healthy I noticed my calories were really low!

Do, where it says calories remaining at the top of the phone app, do I need to get that as close to 0 as possible or just make sure my net is at 1200???
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    No, you need to eat at least your daily goal and then close to what you burn off with extra exercise. These people are right, i actually slowed my loss by not eatinng enough.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    It is easier, at least in the beginning, to try to get close to the "calories remaining". I usually try to leave 100-200 there, because I know I may underestimate some of my servings or to allow for a little treat (dark chocolate is a good one) if I get a craving. With exercising that much, you may find it hard to eat enough to reach the calorie goal. But that's why it's especially important to make sure you're getting LOTS of protein and good fats and good carbs.

Also, I'm NOT saying don't exercise but if you've just started exercising, don't push it too hard. I think one of the reasons I never could get into a good exercise routine is that when I started, I always went crazy and did it like crazy...for a few days or a week. Then I'd burn out or injure myself. Better to work your way up and get stronger gradually.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    "They" recommend 1200 net calories per day for a healthy female to function properly. If you have not been eatting that amount for a long time (as I did) your body responds by being efficient and holding calories and you gain weight any time you eat a tiny bit more. Get your calorie count up to the 1200, hold it there for a while and see if your body slows down on the weight loss (mine did at about 2.5 months). If it does slow down your weight loss you may need to UP your calories again...weird isn't it? lol I ended up at 1400 net per day to keep the weight loss going steady. You may gain a pound or two while your metabolism adjusts, but it will come right back off.

This is real life, and short days will happen when you just can't get the calories in. Occasionally it is not a bad thing, Don't want it to be the norm though.
  • MomOfThree123
    Options
    Well as far as exercises go. I'm mainly doing alot of walking, and lots of house cleaning. Like today I have cleaned for about 3 hours already. I'm a single mom with 3 kids so I dont have time to go to the gym. Therefore I just go walk a track while I push all 3 in a stroller (130lbs). I normally walk for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Then cleaning, with these kids, I have to clean alot to keep my house how I like it! I have always cleaned alot and have walked on and off but now I walk aleast 4 to 5 days a week. When I cant walk because of weather I ride my bike. I believe its called a stationary bike? And I do that anywhere from 30 mins to an hour.

Like I said before, I'm eating like I always have, just healthier choices! (besides the cinnamon bun this mornin lol)
    Its weird though because I will take a few bits of my food, then I'm full. But because I know my body needs food I still eat! For example this morning I took about 5 bites of toast with sugar free jelly and I was full. But to get some calories in I ended up eating 2 pieces of toast with the jelly and a cinnamon bun.

Samething happened yesturday. I went to Applebees for lunch, ate half my lunch then ate the rest for dinner. (like I have always done). And just yesturday I lost 2 lbs.

I kinda feel like I need to eat unhealthy foods (chips, cookies, etc) just to get calories but I dont wanna eat junk food. lol.. Uhhh why is this so darn hard. lol.. I'm losing weight fast, but also worried cause I wanna be healthy!! I remember before I had my children I did a diet kinda like this but didnt eat this healthy and lost 25 lbs in about 4 weeks. And never gained it back until I had my 3 kids in 3 years.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Might try breaking it up into 5-6 small "meals" per day, rather than 3. With lots of protein and good fats and some carbs in each. Then you're not feeling like you're stuffing yourself at every meal.