New runner. Never done it before, help appreciated!

Options
Hello MFP Community :D
I've recently started a 'Couch to 5K' programme that lasts 9 weeks, I'm on my 2nd week now (but I'm re-doing week one's running exercises becaue of a leg injury).
I'm completely inexperienced and have no proper running gear or any idea of where to run. At the moment I'm running at a local recreation ground where I get slowed down by dog walkers and the occasional rude comment from some of the kids there, there has to be a better place to run than this haha!

I'd like to know, what running gear should I buy (I definitely need running shoes I know that much) and where the best place is to run. Also if you have any other tips I'd be thankful :D

I've just ordered a sports bra and a pouch/bag thing to store my phone as I use it for the pedometer, stopwatch and music.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP Community :D
    I've recently started a 'Couch to 5K' programme that lasts 9 weeks, I'm on my 2nd week now (but I'm re-doing week one's running exercises becaue of a leg injury).
    I'm completely inexperienced and have no proper running gear or any idea of where to run. At the moment I'm running at a local recreation ground where I get slowed down by dog walkers and the occasional rude comment from some of the kids there, there has to be a better place to run than this haha!

I'd like to know, what running gear should I buy (I definitely need running shoes I know that much) and where the best place is to run. Also if you have any other tips I'd be thankful :D

I've just ordered a sports bra and a pouch/bag thing to store my phone as I use it for the pedometer, stopwatch and music.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
    The only thing you really need is decent running shoes. You can find them $70 and up. For your first pair go to a running specialty shop because they have many diff make and models and they check your feet and gait to recommend the kind you need. A trick I use is when trying them on put one model on one foot, another on the other foot and get a step by step comparision. Dont go for how the shoes look or anything like that.

That really is all you need.

An optional item that I call a need is compression shorts to wear under regular shorts.

The couch to 5k is a great program. Challenge yourself and enjoy it. People love ot listen to music when they run, an I did/do as well.

but at times...UNPLUG and run naked. No, not that naked. I mean sometimes run without music, without a stopwatch, without a pedometer and just enjoy mother nature! I used to NEVER run wtihout music, but now I am about 50/50! At times you see people running with music, GPS (which I have and love..great way to track and see progress) their phone, etc. Go out and just enjoy it all sometimes!!!!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Thavoice's advice is great. All you really need are running shoes, shorts/pants, and upper body wear that doesn't chafe (Bodyglide is very useful if you experience chafing problems), and a good place to run.

Don't be cheap with the shoes. Heavier runners especially need good cushioning. I'd go to a running store and get advice on shoes; many stores have treadmills so the staff can watch you run and then make recommendations. Take your current shoes, too, since the wear pattern on them is useful information for the staff.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, running on softer surfaces is better than concrete or asphalt. I used to walk to the track at the local university to run, since track surfaces are more forgiving than roads. If you have gravel or dirt paths nearby, those are useful.

Take it easy to avoid injuries, and have fun! (I'm currently on a 2-week break from running, having aggravated an old knee injury by running too far and too fast - do as I say, not as I do!)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Good running shoes that fit properly..........everything else is secondary.

If you get a chance also check out runnersrworld.com - they have all sorts of tips on starting running and staying injury free and some great columns (one of my favourites has been Marc Parent's "Newbie Chronicles")

You're not alone, we all started off as new runners at one point or another.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Don't be cheap with the shoes. Heavier runners especially need good cushioning. I'd go to a running store and get advice on shoes; many stores have treadmills so the staff can watch you run and then make recommendations. Take your current shoes, too, since the wear pattern on them is useful information for the staff.

THIS.
    I am a beginner runner also, training for my first 5k next month. I went to a running store last weekend and got measured, put on the treadmill and they videotaped my running with an Ipad, then the staff showed me where my left ankle was rocking inward due to weak/over flexible bones/muscles I dunno the details, but it looked gross. They fit me for shoes (turns out my size is smaller than I thought) and then they fit me for arch supports.

That afternoon I ran and guess what? Completed 3.1 miles and felt great!
  • samanthafinnie
    samanthafinnie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes i am in the process of completing a program similar to couch to 5km with my local running room.One week left!! I highly recommended if you have a running room in your area to go to it. The people there are usually great and supportive. They also have beginner running classes that help get into running and stay motivated. It also gives you people to run with. For this you need-- a good pair of shoes if #1. dont be cheap on your running shows, go to a specialty store (like the running room) and splurge a bit. Make sure they look how you walk/run so they can fit you in the right type of shoe. They are probaly going to set you back $100+. Also i cant run without my music so i would recommending having something for your music, but its not necessary. I use an app called Runtastic and it is fanatastic-- i would highly reccommend!!! You can do interval training on it, it plays music, GPS your route, your average speed/time , and much more!
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K and wasnt a runner before it. my advice, you dont have to buy the most expensive shoes, i bought a pair of rebook sublites running shoes for about 45 bucks at dunhams after trying a bunch on, they are very light and comfy. I also recommend moisture wicking clothes.
    As far as actually doing the C25K, just remember its NOT a race and it's not about speed, its about finishing it. if you're out of breath while running, slow down, it will make your life a lot easier after week 5.
    One last thing, dont be discouraged by whats coming up in the program. I looked ahead and thought i couldnt finish do the weeks because i could barely run 60 seconds at that point, but i finished the program a week early and now 8 weeks after i started i'm running 5k 3x a week, which is what i have to get off here and go do now. good luck!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Performance (wicking) socks with arch supports are good, too.
  • thavoice
    Options
    Thavoice's advice is great. All you really need are running shoes, shorts/pants, and upper body wear that doesn't chafe (Bodyglide is very useful if you experience chafing problems), and a good place to run.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, running on softer surfaces is better than concrete or asphalt. I used to walk to the track at the local university to run, since track surfaces are more forgiving than roads. If you have gravel or dirt paths nearby, those are useful.

Take it easy to avoid injuries, and have fun! (I'm currently on a 2-week break from running, having aggravated an old knee injury by running too far and too fast - do as I say, not as I do!)
    agree with not going cheap. Personally I dont even look at the price tag of the shoes until I have decided on hte ones I want.

IN the grand scheme of things it is inexpensive, especially for beginning runners who dont lot as many miles. I go through 2 pair a year so that is just over ten bucks a month.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE START RUNNING! YAY! Good luck, have fun and welcome to the Runner's World!! ;)

I run long and short distances, and have done so for about 7 years or so. IMO, shoes are top priority ( I run in Saucony exclusively because they just do running shoes better - and this is after spending hundreds upon hundreds on Asics for years) as are anti-chafing clothes. Whatever that is to you. To me, that is running pants that go just above or below the knees, good socks to wear in shoes that will prevent slippage as much as possible and lots of water on hot days.

Also agree with poster who mentioned costs overall...running is the cheapest sport I have ever done because one you are geared up, you are good to go for a while. I also go through 2 pairs per year, roughly $200.00. My daughter plays competitive sports and it costs us roughly 2k per year, to give you an idea...
  • Natsumegu
    Natsumegu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow I never expected so many replies! Thanks everyone! :D:blushing:
    Ok, I'm planning to take a trip to the sports shop some time soon and have them fit me some running shoes, and I'll probably invest in some socks and shorts while I'm there.
    My current running gear consists of; old tennis shoes/trainers that I've noticed tend to make the sides of my feet hurt sometimes unbearably, so new shoes is a priority at the moment, tracksuit bottoms and a cotton vest shirt. I really need some decent running gear haha! I wasn't aware of the whole moisture wicking thing until today and I've just had to make do with what I have.

Thanks for all your help you've all been great!
    :heart:
  • thavoice
    Options
    Wow I never expected so many replies! Thanks everyone! :D:blushing:
    Ok, I'm planning to take a trip to the sports shop some time soon and have them fit me some running shoes, and I'll probably invest in some socks and shorts while I'm there.
    My current running gear consists of; old tennis shoes/trainers that I've noticed tend to make the sides of my feet hurt sometimes unbearably, so new shoes is a priority at the moment, tracksuit bottoms and a cotton vest shirt. I really need some decent running gear haha! I wasn't aware of the whole moisture wicking thing until today and I've just had to make do with what I have.

Thanks for all your help you've all been great!
    :heart:
    Of course I/we dont know your financial situation but dont feel like you have to get all that extra stuff when you are at the running store. Some places will try to sell you alot of stuff that you "need" as add-ons. Just make a note of what they are saying and if you feel you need them after running a bit then make the purchase.

The dri-fit/moisture wicking things are nice, but heck even I will still go out and run in old tshirts over my compression gear.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    remember, once you know all the stuff you like and want, you can shop online, like at the runnignwarehouse, and save lots of money

welcome to running, and good luck
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to the shirts you get. Some materials and cuts are more prone to cause chafing. Unfortunately I think that's a trial and error thing. I personally hate running in a tee shirt of any sort, I am guaranteed to chafe. Under arm chafe is no fun.
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Would like to just welcome you to running = )

Shoes are most important (you got that info)

I do love the running socks, I have one pricey pair (for long distances) the rest I got at Target, they are like the sneakers and are breathable keep your feet from getting to sweaty.

Other then that just make sure you are comfortable that is most important you want to enjoy the running the be fiddling with your clothes all the time
  • iwannabinnarnia
    iwannabinnarnia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I will echo what most everyone else has said.. a good pair of running shoes that you had professionally fitted. I lost a toenail after my first half marathon because I just went to a shoe store and bought a pair of 'running shoes'. I now have a professionally fitted pair and have run four 5ks in them.. and have used them for countless miles on my treadmill and no more black toenails! Wicking material shirts/socks are also great.