Exercises (weight) to do at home

Options
I wanna start doing weights at home (don't have access to a gym) I have a pair of dumbells (well they are hubby's lol) but wanted to know what exercises are best for me to at home?? Also how many times a week should I be doing them??
Also dunno if it makes a difference but am about to start the 30 day shred again as didn't get to finish it as fell ill.
Thanks in advance ????

Replies

• eversmj
    eversmj Posts: 40
    Options
    Some really effective dumbbell moves you can do at home with no special equipment (bench, etc):
    DB Snatch
    DB Cleans
    DB Squat Press
    DB Overhead Press (standing)
    DB Row
    DB Lunge
    DB Step Ups

If you're able and willing to add some minor equipment to your set up you could really benefit from one kettlebell and one of those home pull-up bars.

If those movements aren't familiar to you, Youtube is chock full of demonstrations. Best of luck.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Check out Fitness Blender on YouTube, they have tons of workout videos using weights and body weight exercises.
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Some really effective dumbbell moves you can do at home with no special equipment (bench, etc):
    DB Snatch
    DB Cleans
    DB Squat Press
    DB Overhead Press (standing)
    DB Row
    DB Lunge
    DB Step Ups

If you're able and willing to add some minor equipment to your set up you could really benefit from one kettlebell and one of those home pull-up bars.

If those movements aren't familiar to you, Youtube is chock full of demonstrations. Best of luck.

Defo gonna try these out (although the db snatch looks a bit dangerous lol), how many times a week are you suppose to do weights??
  • eversmj
    eversmj Posts: 40
    Options
    Defo gonna try these out (although the db snatch looks a bit dangerous lol), how many times a week are you suppose to do weights??

That all depends on your goals and ability to recover from the previous session. A decent vanilla recommendation for someone using lots of compound movements like I mentioned is 3 days a week or every other day.

The DB snatch is surprisingly easy, relative to the barbell version. Just start light and get the movement details down before you add more weight. I will say lifts that require a lot of technique (like the snatch and clean) are meant to be done at lower reps. You should never do those kinds of movements to near-failure where your form starts to fall apart and you need to cheat to get the weight moving.
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

That all depends on your goals and ability to recover from the previous session. A decent vanilla recommendation for someone using lots of compound movements like I mentioned is 3 days a week or every other day.

The DB snatch is surprisingly easy, relative to the barbell version. Just start light and get the movement details down before you add more weight. I will say lifts that require a lot of technique (like the snatch and clean) are meant to be done at lower reps. You should never do those kinds of movements to near-failure where your form starts to fall apart and you need to cheat to get the weight moving.

Thanks for that will practise and then start doing them every other day ????
    My goals are to burn body fat and to build my muscles wanna look defined (if that makes sense lol)
  • DesertStar86
    DesertStar86 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sorry, nothing to add - keeping for future ref.
  • akuaafriyie
    akuaafriyie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Check out Fitness Blender on YouTube, they have tons of workout videos using weights and body weight exercises.

i totally agree!!! you will be spoiled for choice