Protein bars/shakes

Options
What are protein bars and shakes used for??
I am curious as have seen people posting about them but don't really know what they are for and if I should be using them ????

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    They're only useful if you have issue meeting your protein macro. If you can meet it without them, they're a waste of money. I occasionally use protein powder, etc on days I'm busy and are a but short on protein for the day
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I am going to take a wild guess...

To get more protein.....
  • littlebrownbat3
    littlebrownbat3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    To increase protein intake. Some people find it really hard to get as much protein as they need in their diet, so they supplement with bars and shakes. They can be an easy way to increase protein, but also can have lots of calories and sugar, so be careful. If you are consistently under your protein macro, you might want to consider them.
  • elyuma
    elyuma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I only use it to replace my dinner after weight lifting and if I feel lazy and dont want cook. :-)
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have a shake in the morning and a bar in the afternoon to help meet my protein for the day, without them I would come up about 70g short.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein after a workout (especially after lifting) is good; it helps to repair the muscle tear-down and is easily absorbed by the body.

Vegetarians who might otherwise struggle to meet protein targets other than via beans / tofu etc can use it to help. Generally, it's quite low in calories too for the 20-25g of Protein typically found in a single scoop (depending on the quality of the powder).

Whey Isolate is the one to look for....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    because:
    they need more protein than they are getting from food alone;
    They like the taste;
    shakes are less filling than food;
    Meal replacement;
    Snack;

essentially they are just another way to get protein. I find shakes cheaper than most food on a protein to protein basis, and bars are convenient to take and eat anywhere, and better option than a chocolate bar if you are having a craving and trying to get a lot of protein in your diet.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, to get more protein. My goal is 1 g protein per lb of bodyweight since I lift heavy, which is hard to do while eating on a deficit and not just eating chicken all day long. Shakes and bars help. I have a protein shake after every workout (whether it's cardio or lifting) and a protein bar before I lift.

Quest bars are the only protein bar I'll eat. The other good quality ones are horrible tasting and the really tasty ones are filled with sugar and not nearly as much protein as you might think. As for my shakes, I don't use pre-made shakes. I have a protein powder that isn't filled with useless carbs, fat, or sugar - just good ol' protein - and I make my own shakes with almond milk, spinach leaves, banana, PB2, cocoa powder, and ice. Yum!

I don't use either as meal replacement. I still eat breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner. It's just something else I eat/drink.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I like protein bars and shakes because they help me meet my daily protein goal.
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, at the min I am not allowed to eat too much meat (for medical reasons) so dunno if it's something I should try ???? how much protein should you have daily?? My diary is set to 20% is that enough??
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I eat meats, veggies, eggs, and beans. I easily get my protein in for the day. I do not see how one would come up short. 4oz of chicken has roughly 36g of protein. I do not like eating the processed protein shakes and snacks. Soy beans and regular beans are high in protein. The protein doesn't have to come form meats. A lot of wasted calories in shakes and bars in my opinion.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Oh, did I mention peanut butter. An awesome source of protein and healthy fats.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, at the min I am not allowed to eat too much meat (for medical reasons) so dunno if it's something I should try ???? how much protein should you have daily?? My diary is set to 20% is that enough??

Soy, whey, pea and rice proteins would be a substitute for a meat protein. Your requirements would be bsaed on a few factors like height, weight and activity level. Everyones is different. Mine is about 145 grams lean protein. Do I make that every day - no. Do I go over some days - yes.
  • chezzabelle82
    Options

Soy, whey, pea and rice proteins would be a substitute for a meat protein. Your requirements would be bsaed on a few factors like height, weight and activity level. Everyones is different. Mine is about 145 grams lean protein. Do I make that every day - no. Do I go over some days - yes.

Thanks ???? will do a bit of googling in a sec

Well looking at google I should be having roughly 40g a day (just done a online calculator)
  • erickirb
    Options
    Oh, did I mention peanut butter. An awesome source of protein and healthy fats.

Peanut butter doesn't have a lot of protein at all... excellent source of fat with a bit of carbs and protein, just like other nuts and seeds.
  • erickirb
    Options

Thanks ???? will do a bit of googling in a sec

Well looking at google I should be having roughly 40g a day (just done a online calculator)

That is probably the minimum protein for a sedentary individual that is at maintenance calories. When in a deficit trying to lose and exercising you require more protein in order to retain as much muscle as you can while losing fat.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Basically, protein bars and powder have extra protein if you are not reaching your protein goal. I don't use them as meal replacement, but I eat a Simply protein bar after a workout to replentish the lost protein from working out. It has 15 g of protein in it. I also usually drink a milk and fruit smoothie with 25 g of protein in mid afternoon. I still have a problem reaching my protein goals, but I have added protein powder (and nuts) to my oatmeal and I eat 2 eggs instead of one on those days. I've also started to increase the portion of fish I eat from 4 to six ounces per meal.
  • chezzabelle82
    Options
    Do you only have them on days you are working out??
    Might try making some protein bars have seen a few recipes online