Couch25k Anyone?

Options
I think i'm going to give this a shot..anyone who hasn't tried this yet and has strongly thought about it please feel free to post a comment here and/or add me as a friend. :)

Replies

• WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about starting tomorrow since its a start of a new week.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I did my 1st 2 days of week one only this week - started on Tuesday. But, saying that, count me in!!
  • byebyechubbybunny
    Options
    Sorry, but what is a couch25k ? thanks:)
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    It's a 9 week program to help beginner runners run 3 miles or 30 minutes (in 9 weeks) I think its 3 days a week 20 minute sessions..(forgive me if im incorrect)
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am also starting this tomorrow, can't wait to get going now that I have the proper shoes to actually run in. I am sending you a friend request, we can do this together and compare as we go.
  • cmitte
    cmitte Posts: 1
    Options
    I completed couch 2 5k last summer and ran my first 5k on September 11th. It was an awesome program. I highly recommend downloading the podcast from itunes onto your ipod. It made all the difference in the world. I finished in under 36 minutes. I am going to do it again next summer. Too cold and snowy here to run outside. Good luck! You will love it.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I just started back up last week. I got up to week 7 a while ago and had to stop because of my plantar fasciitis. There are AMAZING apps for the droid and iphone that make it so much easier. You can even listen to your own playlist. Other options are to google Robert Ullrey's version which you can download for free. They all tell you when to walk or jog so you can just focus on your workout.

I've since got the Reebok Runtone shoes and have been using those while I run. The extra cushion gives my heel the break it needs and surprisingly.....my calves and hammies are sore the next day so there is something to be said about the shoes.
  • pgp_protector
    Options
    Sorry, but what is a couch25k ? thanks:)

http://www.c25k.com/

I'm also looking at trying this, Hated running though when I was in the Military (20 Years ago), so it will be a bit harder for me :D

They also have a iPhone / Android app for helping you keep track (downloaded & installed, but not used yet )
  • christenapanzone
    christenapanzone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been doing couch25k for a week and love it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 3 today. :smile:

I "cheated" a bit during week two and ran two minutes instead of 90 seconds, because I was worried I couldn't do the three minutes required today. And it was easier than I thought. Depending on how it goes today, instead of two reps of run 90 seconds, walk 90, run 3 minutes, walk three, I might push for three reps.

There's a Red Cross 5k coming up at the end of March that my brother and his daughter are doing, and I'd like to be able to do it with them. And we're getting a huge gang of people for the Warrior Dash in June.
  • alanmonks
    alanmonks Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have complete this and on the B210k (Bridge to 10k). I loved this program and made a real difference to me. I have never been a good runner but this really is amazing. Good luck to you guys doing it.
  • Manda1987
    Manda1987 Posts: 207
    Options
    I'm starting it tomorrow, now that I have my winter jogging shoes! No excuses now :)
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    W3D1 today! :happy:

I kept going after the required jog/runs, until I jogged a total of 20 minutes, finishing with 5 minutes. I know it's beyond what I'm supposed to do, but I had plenty of energy left.

I love this. I can't believe what a difference just 3 weeks makes.
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    I would love to join you!

I started last week and have only completed day one but the next couple of days I was soooo sore, that I was afraid to do day 2, just in case I couldn't do it. I though about just hitting the treadmill and doing fast walks for a couple of weeks to build my muscles up.

Have others felt the 'fear' and done what I did or just pushed beyond??

I have put in a friend request.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Honestly, I did day one and day two of the first week, then fell off the wagon. Day 3 would have been on Christmas Eve, and I just didn't have the time. Then the next day was Christmas Day, then the next it snowed, then... Then I joined Planet Fitness so I know I'd force myself to go. If it's costing me money, I'l gonna get my money's worth out of it!

Also, doing it on the treadmill at the gym was SOOOOO much easier than trying to keep track of the time in my head. I've seen a lot of suggestions to tailor it to your needs, and go slower if necessary. Either only run 30 seconds, or start with a lot of walking for a week or so.
  • MsMonny
    Options
    I got the app for my iphone and it is amazing (even if I only have done day 1 LOL). I used my own music and it faded the music out and told me to start running and then back again to walking. It has a timer on the screen as well. Much better than trying to keep track of the time cos I can just chill out and concentrate on the running and hopefully getting into the 'zone'!

I use to jog about 15 years ago and I loved it - except for the first 10 mins when my body was detesting to the jog. I too want to get back into it and maybe do a City to Bay run one day! :happy:
  • MsMonny
    Options
    I have complete this and on the B210k (Bridge to 10k). I loved this program and made a real difference to me. I have never been a good runner but this really is amazing. Good luck to you guys doing it.

Thanks for the info - I have saved this site on my computer for the future. :flowerforyou:
  • Fat2FitArmyWifey
    Options
    Starting this tomorrow as well! Can't wait!! :)
  • Manda1987
    Manda1987 Posts: 207
    Options
    Just did my first day! I've done the first day once before, but this time it was a whole lot easier and I was able to jog a lot faster (my previous jogging speed was actually SLOWER than my walking speed!). 1.5 miles covered this time!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    I did my first day today and survived..I don't think I exactly did what is normally in the plan..I just jogged for a minute, walked 2-3 minutes, jogged for 1 minute and so on for 20 minutes.