Period & Constipation

Options
Hi- some of this information may be personal and so I ask that you be sensitive to my feelings.
I went to the doctor about a year ago explaining the irregularity of my periods. The doctor said we would reevaluate in the coming year, but not much as been resolved. My periods are not very often, they are about once every 3 months and last maybe 2-3 days.

The doctor believed it was related to my stress levels. However, the problem is not only with my period, but I also have constant constipation. If I go about three days a week that is a good sign. However, I constantly feel bloated.

So, overall, my issues are:
1. Constipation
2. Irregular Periods

Do you have any suggestions or thoughts as to why my body is like this...

Replies

• Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to find another doctor who will listen to your concerns and actively try to determine the cause. Hope you find the help you need.
  • gersloyal
    gersloyal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you on any medications that may be contributing to this?
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I would definitely seek out another doctor. There's not much info to go off of for us to offer much advice. I know while I was in high school, my period was almost non-existent so my doc put me on bc. It worked. For me, it was likely just my activity level and relatively low bf%.

As for the constipation, drink lots of water and make sure you get enough fiber everyday. If you don't get enough, there are powdered supplements you can buy.
  • joyful_fit
    joyful_fit Posts: 25
    Options
    I would definitely seek out another doctor. There's not much info to go off of for us to offer much advice. I know while I was in high school, my period was almost non-existent so my doc put me on bc. It worked. For me, it was likely just my activity level and relatively low bf%.

As for the constipation, drink lots of water and make sure you get enough fiber everyday. If you don't get enough, there are powdered supplements you can buy.

Great point- I should mention that I GENERALLY drink 80-100 ounces of water and eat 25 grams of fiber per day. Great advice!
  • ekmcdan
    ekmcdan Posts: 38
    Options
    Great advice in these posts!

You might also take a look at your macros -- I've heard eating low fat, under 15% or so, can contribute to constipation.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    There is a tea called Smooth Move. It does not taste great but, from my experience, works.
    I agree with the others...find a new doctor
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The advice above is great. I wanted to ask, is the doctor your primary or ob/gyn? The reason I ask is because some primaries ignore issues and think its no big deal, an ob would have told you because of testing all the things that its not, then if concern was still there would have looked into further. Weight loss can mess with hormones and if your bf% is low enough you can stop menstruating all together. If you haven't I would make an OB appointment.

ETA if your primary is ignoring your concerns, or if it was an ob, then find a new one.
  • joyful_fit
    joyful_fit Posts: 25
    Options
    The advice above is great. I wanted to ask, is the doctor your primary or ob/gyn? The reason I ask is because some primaries ignore issues and think its no big deal, an ob would have told you because of testing all the things that its not, then if concern was still there would have looked into further. Weight loss can mess with hormones and if your bf% is low enough you can stop menstruating all together. If you haven't I would make an OB appointment.

ETA if your primary is ignoring your concerns, or if it was an ob, then find a new one.

Thank you all for your concern. I eat roughly 30% of my daily food from fat every day. I also have about 25% body fat...