Sugar Consumption and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If your diary is correct, your calorie counts are very low. If it were me, I'd stop worrying about sugar and start worrying about the lack of protien and fiber.
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank You! I thought of that as well, sometimes your never really sure if the estimates are quite right, the days you see the 900 calories are what I am doing now... MFP has me set at 1200 so now I am trying to eat only 1000 to lave room for errors and I am no longer eating back my exercise calories.... so hopefully that will do it!
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Some days are right some are not.... I try to stay around 1200, but I will add in more protein and fiber!
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    I eat 400+ grams of sugar a day.

Sugar doesn't make you fat, excess calories do.

Stop tracking sugar, seriously the dumbest thing to do unless you are diabetic.
  • isp3986
    isp3986 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic, pre-diabetic, or have a reason to watch sugar intake, then there's no reason to track sugar. Instead track fat, protein, carbohydrates, sodium, and fiber. Total carbohydrate intake is far more important than sugar intake.

Unless you have kidney issues, tracking sodium is not necessary either. The current RDA recommendation is what doctors put hypertensive patients on. It is woefully low for people who work out a lot or do manual labor in the sun.

Ditto on the sodium intake. I am very active and can't get through the day on the RDA.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Unless your doctor has put you on a very restrictive sugar diet, don't worry about them. If you decide that you want to cut your sugars a little and don't want to go to artificial sweeteners, how about substituting some veggies for the fruit? They may help your fiber too.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I haven't it seen it myself yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Go see the movie "Fed Up."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    I haven't it seen it myself yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Go see the movie "Fed Up."
    Xmen is much more exciting to watch.

It's not a "movie" it's a documentary. And like most food documentaries, it's biased towards whatever belief the writer/promoter follows.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I actually heard about the documentary (which IS a movie, by the way) on Good Morning America.
    It had nothing to do with Joanne said.

Sometimes people go to movies or documentaries to educate themselves, not just for pure entertainment.

I did see Days of Future Past, and liked it.

Why take the topic away from what the OP wanted to know? The more she researches on her own, the better off she will be.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Thank You! I thought of that as well, sometimes your never really sure if the estimates are quite right, the days you see the 900 calories are what I am doing now... MFP has me set at 1200 so now I am trying to eat only 1000 to lave room for errors and I am no longer eating back my exercise calories.... so hopefully that will do it!

This is wrong!

eat more food!

1200 is too low as it is, eating less than that is not healthy in anyway
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I actually heard about the documentary (which IS a movie, by the way) on Good Morning America.
    It had nothing to do with Joanne said.

Sometimes people go to movies or documentaries to educate themselves, not just for pure entertainment.

I did see Days of Future Past, and liked it.

Why take the topic away from what the OP wanted to know? The more she researches on her own, the better off she will be.

Everyone already gave perfectly sound advice b stating that you do not need to fret over sugar consumption unless you have a medical condition which requires you to keep tabs on it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Join the group "The Skinny on Obesity" for more information.

Added sugars are the primary cause of many health problems today.

I love sugar too, but I feel much better when I stay below a certain amount.

Don't join this group

Unless it's for the lulz

Honestly I thought all the members were there for the lulz.

OP I've never even tracked sugar. I keep my carbs in check and make sure to get in my veggies, protein, and fats. Baking is my hobby. A lifestyle without baked goods would be very unsustainable to me. I've lost 44 lbs and kept it off for going on 2 years. It seems to be working for me.

eta: oh I forgot to add that my lupus has gone into remission.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Don't do this either. Eat up to your calorie goal and eat back at least half of your exercise calories. As for accuracy, read this:

http://www.fitnessfactreview.com/the-art-science-of-calorie-counting/
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    For my birthday My wonderful wife got me a 5lb bag of Trolli - Sour Gummy Worms (6 = 60 Calories) and they're basically pure sugar. I keep these in my desk drawer and enjoy them from time to time. Having self control allows me to only have 6 at a time and put them down. I keep the 5lb bag here at my desk to help teach myself self control.

Sugar is not the program, self control for many is.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    I went over my sugar target...

...just about every day.

Somehow I managed to lose a bit of weight.

Maintain a consistent calorie deficit.

Eat a balanced diet that gives you adequate macronutrients and micronutrients.

Eat enough - don't starve yourself.

Don't fret the sugar so much.

Please don't join that group.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/mfp-101-calories-macros-and-micros-617211
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Don't do this either. Eat up to your calorie goal and eat back at least half of your exercise calories. As for accuracy, read this:

http://www.fitnessfactreview.com/the-art-science-of-calorie-counting/

^This. Eating only 900 calories can lead to health complications and hormonal issues. You should do more research and go about this the correct way.
  • jimgatewood
    jimgatewood Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Truth is fat doesn't make you fat. Sugar does. Learn to lower your sugar intake and be accurate with calorie in and calorie out. It is that simple. The best to you.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Truth is fat doesn't make you fat. Sugar does. Learn to lower your sugar intake and be accurate with calorie in and calorie out. It is that simple. The best to you.

If sugar made me fat...how did I lose still eating it? Am I magic?