Bread ideas??

Options
Anyone have any ideas on the best tasting low calorie best for you and affordable bread???

Replies

• kristirose2003
    Options
    I've been eating "earth song" thin buns. 100% multi-grain. Pretty good!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread is supposed to be amazing.
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I eat "healthy Life" brand. $1.98 at walmart. 70 Calories for 2 slices. They have whole wheat, white, and a couple other choices. They also have hamburger buns, they are 80 cal a piece I think.
  • middlegoss
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Kind of cool having all this help at my fingertips! LOL:flowerforyou:
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i eat natures own 9 grain, 35 cals per slice!
  • MrsRios
    MrsRios Posts: 56
    Options
    How about orowheat double fiber english muffin if you want to switch it up, they're less than $2
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Its not so much the calories as the effect the bread has on your insulin production.
    White flour is the worst. Whole wheat isn't that great.
    Sprouted grains is the best, like Ezekial bread-in the frozen food section. They make buns too.
  • bmramsey0614
    bmramsey0614 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I know the sandwich thins are listed in a book I have to eat them. I have the eat this not that book and it suggest eating sandwich thins when eating bread. I have also read that it is healthier to eat "whole wheat" products over "multi-grain" products.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I prefer thin buns over bread (just my personal taste) because they work for my "burgers" as well as sandwiches so I'm not having to buy buns plus bread... anyway- I eat Earthgrains multi-grain thin buns. I compared the sodium levels of all the brands at my store (Earthgrains, Arnold, Pepperidge Farm, Nature's Own) and Earthgrains by far had the lowest sodium... the calories and fat were comparable for them all- so I chose the lower sodium level!
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I love the sprouted grains. I have a trader joes near me but you can also get them at whole foods. Little pricey but oh so much better for you. I find that most 'whole grain' breads are really not whole grain. I was always told if it says 'flour' in the first 4 ingredients it isn't the best. Also watch for fiber fillers that have no nutritional value. Yes, I do get the other breads but when I can I get the sprouted grains. Good luck all!
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i have warburtons toastie bread 59 caories a slice (UK)
  • Calicoskies
    Calicoskies Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I also really like Natures Own, the 35 cal stuff. I don't eat much sliced bread but that works well when I do. I also like whole grain low fat English muffins in place of bread. They fill me more. I sometimes like Arnolds sandwich thins.
  • microshells
    Options
    I found the Orowheat whole grain sandwich thins at Costco. I think they come 48 to a bulk package divided into 4 smaller packages. I froze three and kept one out for my daughter and myself. I love them and have even given up my bagel thins in the morning for these.
  • etherethnic
    Options
    today i tried for the first time something called "flat out"- its like a flat bread but its more like a thick tortilla. i had it with veggies and tofurkey inside and it was SO good! i think its like 100 calories. LOTS of fiber! 9 grams in one piece, and you can roll it up like a wrap.
  • toribug
    toribug Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread is costly, 4.99 a loaf and you have to get used to it but once you do, you wont go back. It's in the frozen food section, I get mine at Kroger stores. They also own Kings Foods and several others
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    Ezekiel bread, while not the lowest in cals, is frequently on the #1 lists of what to eat while on a health plan. I invest in Ezekiel bread. It's so high in fiber that you'll be fine just eating 1 slice, you won't even want the 2nd one. And anyways, I prefer the taste of this bread.

:)
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy choice whole wheat bread....35 calories per slice....it's good!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat bread is the best, but you have to look at the ingredients. If it's "whole grain wheat" then it's good. But otherwise, sometimes it's processed wheat flour, which isn't really different than white flour in terms of fiber.