To Newish C25K Folks (Big and Small!)

Options
Hello!

Today is a super exciting day for me! I tried to finish the C25K program last year, and I only made it through several repetitions of week 4. Today I finished Week 5, Day 1 like it was nothing! I was ready to keep on running when the timer went off. I credit some really great advice about form and pace that I have gotten from myfitnesspal buddies.

I happened to have noticed in some other threads that a lot of people have just started doing the C25K program recently, especially some bigger folks like me (I am 5'8, 250lbs). I'd love to have some of you as friends, so we can cheer each other on!

Feel free to add me as a friend, and if anyone out there has more advice for new runners, I'd love to read it!

One thing I've learned? Cell phones for music WILL fall out of your bra. Thank goodness for form fitting tank-tops! Time to dredge up that arm-band I gave up on last year... =D

Replies

• eclat80
    eclat80 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi,
    I am on week 5, and I have the non-stop 22 mins tomorrow and dreading it. Could you share some of the advice you think helped?
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

One thing I've learned? Cell phones for music WILL fall out of your bra.

prove it!
  • ilyahna2014
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen?!

How about a pic of what happens when you run in a sports bra that zips up the front with double D's? Then you have to hide in a bush to get it back on?

*giggle*
  • jenandfunkybunch
    jenandfunkybunch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Today is a super exciting day for me! I tried to finish the C25K program last year, and I only made it through several repetitions of week 4. Today I finished Week 5, Day 1 like it was nothing! I was ready to keep on running when the timer went off. I credit some really great advice about form and pace that I have gotten from myfitnesspal buddies.

Can you share some of the advice? I too gave up around week 4….. : (
  • ilyahna2014
    Options
    Hi,
    I am on week 5, and I have the non-stop 22 mins tomorrow and dreading it. Could you share some of the advice you think helped?

The advice that made the most difference for me was that if you cannot carry on a conversation while you are running, you're going too fast; so concentrate on stamina rather than speed.

Additionally, there is a form that works better for me in which my weight comes down more toward the front ball of my foot, rather than the back - I bet if you googled 'proper running form' you would find the way to set your feet. When I began running as my cross-country trained friend suggested, I found I used my muscles in my legs in a different way, and it really helped take the strain off my cardiovascular system.
  • ilyahna2014
    Options

See above.

Also, keep repeating it if you have to, but it WILL happen! I promise! :)
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I can attest to the advice you gave about running more towards the front of the foot and about going for stamina and letting the speed build up gradually at a natural pace. That's what I've been doing and I ran for 2 miles straight for the first time last month with no walking breaks. Also, proper shoes! I got new shoes that fit me properly and that helps immensely - no more toenails turning colors or arch pain in my feet. Always happy to have some C25K pals to keep me motivated :)
  • ilyahna2014
    Options
    Do you recommend any running shoes?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

One thing I've learned? Cell phones for music WILL fall out of your bra.

prove it!

So THAT'S how you get the ladies.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I started c25k about a month ago. Right now I am running 25-35 min a session, as I ran 5k on W5D3 (felt good after the 20 min so just kept going) in 42 min. I also skipped week 3. I must credit this to an increase in my cardio endurance from cardio training at physio. My PT focused one day per week on cardio... Jumping jacks, butt kicks, high knees, even kick boxing to get my heart on better shape. I also hike a lot of hilly terrain and that helped too.

As for running form though, I looked at a lot of you tube videos to see where my arms, shoulders, head should be and learned I have a mid foot strike. Breathing came pretty easily to me, which propelled me through the program. It's my legs that seem to always want to quit first and I blame that on my weight (207 lbs).

Running shoes and socks took away the bit of ankle and knee pain I experienced early on. The improvement was immediate.
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My right knee really started bothering me when I tried week 4 day 1, so I've gone back to week 2 for now until I sort out this knee stuff out, but I'm not giving up. I think my body needs a little more time to get used to running, and I need to get some good running shoes. In a few weeks I'm going to give week 4 a try again. I made it through the first day of week 4 though which I was really happy about. I'm 5"8' 215lb.

Keep up the great work.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

take a look in http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k discussions, lots of advice in there
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    congratulation :) i did week 5 day 2 last night, if i'm honest im genuinely looking forward day 3, i can't wait to see if i can do the 20 minuet run

the best advice i can give to anyone that i've learnt so far is get shoes fitted properly, when i started i had some cheap £15 sport direct shoes, i got to week 2 and had to stop for weeks because i got shin splits so badly, as soon as i get fitted properly for good shoes running got so much more enjoyable

the only other big tip i have is go slowly, i was suffering from side stitch on my runs until the good people of this board told me to slow down, ever since i've been on a roll :)
  • niftylibrarian
    Options
    I can attest to the good shoes too! I traded in my old cross-trainer, almost hiking type shoes for some really light running sneakers ( I only wear Kalso Earth due to some foot problems) and it made a BIG difference. I too repeated week 4 a couple times but just finished the program on Tuesday and will run an official 5K on Saturday. I had NEVER run more than maybe half a mile straight in my entire life prior to the program. It feels amazing! Sadly I didn't lose a single pound through it, but I can tell I am much stronger in my legs as well as my heart and lungs!