Tired of the same old things...

Options
I am tired of making the same old things over and over. Going grocery shopping tonight and thought i would ask if anyone has some things that are a favorite in your house. We eat a lot of ground turkey and chicken. Not too sure about fish, cause i don't really know how to cook it. lol thanks in advance!

Replies

• VeggieTart
    Options
    Take a look at Eatingwell.com. Lots of yummy looking things there. We've already tried a few that were really good.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I buy extra lean hamburger and use it in whole wheat spaghetti. We eat a lot of chicken...there is a great Southewestern Chicken recipe on the recipe section here. I'll see if I can find it. I love it and it makes a lot so you can either it for two days or take leftovers for lunch. I'm not good with fish either...thought I might try again....it may be a disaster.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Here it is...sorry had the name wrong...Salsa Chicken

Number of Servings: 6

Ingredients:
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup salsa
    1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
    1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
    1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions:
    Add chicken to slow cooker.
    Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
    Pour salsa and soup over chicken.
    Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
    Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
    Serve with rice.

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 157.2
    Total Fat: 3.3 g
    Cholesterol: 63.4 mg
    Sodium: 654.2 mg
    Total Carbs: 6.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.9 g
    Protein: 24.3 g
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    go to allrecipes.com you can set up a recipe box and look for any recipe based on ingredients. after you add to your recipe box you can pick the ones you want to make for the week and it will create a shopping list for you.

It is a free site.
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    what's ground turkey and chicken - is this like mince?

I make up standard recipes with lean meat, low fat cheese and I weigh out my portions so I know how many calories i'm eating. I try make things that my 2 girls can make too (like pizza, simple pasta meals or chilli con carne)

Every now and again we get takeaway food but I never have the chips (not keen on fried food anyway) and I have a small burger or a chicken wrap to try stay within my calories for the day!

I used to do the slimming world plan so i still follow their recipes - they have a basic plan and recipes online if you want something different to try.

goodluck with the shopping
  • LindaReInDE
    LindaReInDE Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Wow...You're almost at your goal...only 2 lbs to go??? Awesome!! (They need a high-five smiley on here!! :smile: )
  • marniehodges
    Options
    Another great web site is skinnytaste.com. Some amazing recipes and most are easy to make. And each recipe lists nutritional content for you so you don't have to figure it out. Good luck in your eating dulldrums!
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    my fave ground turkey recipe is a really thick, meaty bolognese with your choice of pasta, it's great hot or cold the next day and freezes well too.

makes about 8-10 servings

One 20oz package of ground turkey (leanest you can get)
    4 medium Carrots
    2 cloves garlic
    approx 4 cups chopped Onions
    2 large cans crushed tomatoes
    2 tbsp Canola Oil
    1 cup red or white wine
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    dried oregano
    salt & pepper to taste

• chop onions, garlic and carrots and sautee in canola oil in a large pan or dutch over over med-high heat until softened and starting to brown. Salt & pepper
    • Add the ground turkey and mash it about as it cooks to break up the large clumps
    • once turkey is cooked through add the wine and cook stirring often until liquid has cooked off
    • add the 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, oregano & nutmeg and bring to boil then
    • reduce to a low simmer and cook uncovered for approx 1 hour stirring occasionally until sauce is thick and no longer watery at all. should be thicker than chilli
    • taste and add more salt & pepper if necessary.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    hungrygirl.com is really good too...and fish is easy to cook, slap it in the oven for 25 minutes at 350 degrees...put a little lemon pepper on it and Ta Da!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I should mention that it's done when you take a fork to the middle of it and it flakes
  • vicster9727
    Options
    broiled fish - very easy.... just spice up with Lemon Pepper Seasoning and broil on High
    tilapia filet - 7 min
    catfish filet - 6 min
    haddock filet - 9 min
    salmon - depends on the thickness...

The first three are "white fish" and will turn opaque/solid white when it cooks, should "flake" easily with a fork.
    You can also grill fish... try it in a foil bag with onion slices.
    You can broil one side only, or flip if you like
    don't waste calories on butter, just use seasonings
    Best tips I got from the person at the fish counter.

I use ground turkey or chicken in place of ground beef all the time. My family loves "Chicken Spaghetti" and Stuffed Peppers using poultry ital sausage - check the label because some grocery stores sell poultry sausage with different fat contents....

We had tacos the other night - my son's turn to cook. I made white chicken chili last night.... going to be fish tonight.

Good Luck!