Post a pic if you lost 15% body fat from weight training

Options
Guys, people lose weight (body fat weight Im talking about) in lots of different ways.

People lose through cardio.
People lose weight through diet.
People lose weight through lifting weights.
People lose through HIIT training.
People lose weight with combinations of two or more of the above.

I don't see many people saying they dropped from 30%+ body fat to around 15% throught weight lifting and heavy weight training and diet alone.

I've done the cardio before and still do a bit now (mainly as HIIT training). I got a running injury in January and knocked it on the head for a while and picked up 5x5 stronglifts. I'm seeing great gains and am really enjoying it. Not to mention it's cut my workout time down. I'm eating a calorie deficit but have got so many questions about whether or not weight training and deficit eating alone will shed 15% of body fat. I'll probably want to lose more body fat but for now thats my goal.

Just wondered if you guys would be so good to post pictures up if you have successfully done what I'm hoping too.

I'm already squatting 97.5kg 5x5
deadlifting 120kg 1x5
Bench pressing 67.5kg 5x5
Overhead press 40kg 5x5
Barbell Row 67.5kg 5x5

I'm sure I'm going to have to change programms soon as my squats are starting to get hard. I'm wondering whether to continue with something like Mad cow or try something different. I don't want body building splits as I want heavy compounds. I'd like not to go back to cardio and running as I don't want my ankle issue to flair up again.

Replies

• rumple2014
    rumple2014 Posts: 79
    Options
    Hey there!

Medhi the stronglifts guy would say not to change program!

I follow the 5x5 training regime as well! I'm only 155 pounds and I struggle to add weight to my 72.5 kg squat! But I keep preservering!

Maybe eat more and gain more strength !

I'm gonna carry on with 5x5 and if I stall on a set weight for a while so be it!

The program is supposed to take u a lot higher than 92kg!

Go hard or go home ! Haha!

This isn't advice or information from a professional!

Just someone who wants to get fit like yourself doing compound movements!

Maybe eat more!? Who knows!

Enjoy!
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

I'm sure I'm going to have to change programms soon as my squats are starting to get hard.

They're supposed to be hard!
    Now go to the store and pickup a 6pack of MTFU
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    dropping BF is about diet...lifting aids in that because it help you maintain the muscle mass you have along with adequate protien.

And yes I agree with csman, SL is not suppose to be easy...if it is easy you are doing it wrong...add more weight to the lifts that are "easy" and push yourself to failure...that is what this is all about...

As a woman who has been lifting for 9months my current PR's are as follows:

DL 210lbs = 95.2kg 1x5
    Squat 180lbs = 81.6kg 5x5
    BP 128.5lbs = 58.3kg 3x5
    OHP 90lbs = 40.8kg 3x5
    Row 125lbs = 56.7kg 3x5

and not to be mean...but if I can OHP more than you...you haven't been pushing yourself hard enough...women in general normally have issues with the upper body lifts in comparison to men specifically with OHP.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    No guys, you've got me wrong!

I'm not about to stop I was just mearly saying that it's getting harder and at some point my squat is probably going to deaload. I'm hoping to get to around 130kg before that happens. I've just noticed that since I hit 92.5kg every lift since has been significantly harder than the lifts in the 80s. I'm not about to give up. I'm really enjoying lifting. I've not even reached a de-load yet. The only reason some lifts look lower than others is if I've struggled getting technique right I spent a while on the techniques so I didn't cause any early bad form patterns.

Stef, my OHP was rubbish for a while but I think I've got a better technique now.

I'm also fully aware that dropping body fat is about being in a calorie deficit. This is the bit that confuses me.

I need to loose body fat. I've chosen to go for strength/weight training but at what point does calorie counting be detrimental to my lifting?

Surley eating more is going to put weight on.

Currently eating 1996 calories. I weigh 119kg and 5 foot 10. So as you can imagine I have a fair bit of body fat to shift. I'm currently feeling ok on my calorie deficit but I'm worried about what happens when I start failing reps. More food? Surely then I'll not loose the fat?
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    This took me about 4 months, zero cardio.

3fde7063-2c33-407d-bc6d-a7eaa1af176c_zps30da508e.jpg?t=1401980127
  • miss_phat_booty
    Options
    Good job tquill :drinker:
  • tquill
    Options
    Thanks!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I need to loose body fat. I've chosen to go for strength/weight training but at what point does calorie counting be detrimental to my lifting?

Surley eating more is going to put weight on.

Currently eating 1996 calories. I weigh 119kg and 5 foot 10. So as you can imagine I have a fair bit of body fat to shift. I'm currently feeling ok on my calorie deficit but I'm worried about what happens when I start failing reps. More food? Surely then I'll not loose the fat?

When it become a detriment is different for everyone. It didn't for me until a couple months in and I hit major stalls on my OHP..imagine.

Then it wasn't an issue until about march of this year...and I deloaded to work on form etc. That was the first time I failed on squats.

Failing reps is not a big deal...with SL you do it again the next time and if you fail 3x you deload...not a big deal.

Mind you...1996 is not a lot for a guy to be eating...that is less than my maitenance...I eat 1900 atm working up to 2100.

But you have to pick a priority...lose fat or go up in strength because yes at some point your deficit affects you lifts..

I personally picked losing the fat first, I can work on my lifts now and get that bar heavier and heavier and be at my goal weight and eat all the food.
  • Guitarjon
    Options
    Great job there tquill, awesome for 4 months work.

Can I ask how much body fat you were to start with?
    Were you on a calorie deficit too?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

My bet is that he didn't worry about the #'s and just f***ing did it.
  • tquill
    Options

I didn't think to measure then... I wasn't sure I'd stick with it long enough to see results. Not only that, I don't think the free methods for calculating body fat are all that accurate or consistent. With that said, I do estimate my body fat using tape and a few equations (I average them together to get a decent number).

If I had to guess, my bodyfat then was probably around 25%. My recent calculations say I'm about 13% now.

Yes, I ate a deficit and did strength training 4-5 times a week.

I agree with LazSommer though, the first steps are to get started and stick with it. The numbers can be fun to play with later on, but don't get caught with analysis paralysis. I think I stalled a while trying to start with the most efficient method possible... when it would have been better just to start.
  • Guitarjon
    Options
    Love that saying analysis paralysis. Never heard that one before!
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options

I'm sure I'm going to have to change programms soon as my squats are starting to get hard.

They're supposed to be hard!
    Now go to the store and pickup a 6pack of MTFU

Having a slow morning. It took me a second to figure out what a 6 pack of MTFU was. When I did, I spit water on myself. :laugh:
  • huntergreene71
    huntergreene71 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good job, your pic makes me believe I can actually get rid of these "moobs" that my weight loss has left me with.
  • tquill
    Options
    Thanks. I've actually done it twice. Once in the avatar, and once again recently. I started at 200, cut to 170, bulked to 200, and cutting again now (currently at 182).