What is your "day"?

Options
I was wondering what everyone considers to be their "day" as far as the calories you track. I work an odd schedule and sometimes most of my calories are consumed after midnight. I was just wondering if I should be adding them to current day or the following day since it is technically the next day. Hope that wasn't too confusing!!

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I would say track a "day" as from when you wake up, until when you go to bed.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    My day is from when I wake up to when I sleep. Unless I've been up for 20 hours or more, in which case I move on to the next day for logging.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would say your "day" is from wake up to bedtime. The problem is that MFP is not going to record it that way. So, you might have to pre log or post log your food.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    AHHHH... My brain hurts... lol jk.

if it's after midnight it is technically the next day or the day after today, or tomorrow.... or is it the day before the next day or the day after that.... or, now see what you did... :laugh:
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My day starts when I get up, around noon. It ends around 4am when I go to bed. (I don't get home from work until 2am.) The only time I start my next day's calories before I go to sleep is if I do a double shift. Then I start the next day at 4am, because I always need something to eat to keep me going.

Everyone has their own schedule so you have to work your meals/calories around what is best for you. I know I always have to leave 200-300 calories for when I get home because I am always hungry. Then I eat whatever I need to meet my macros.
  • rayhet78
    rayhet78 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have been tracking my day from wake up to bedtime so I think I will keep doing it that way. Sorry for the brain pain!!! lol :laugh:
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Everyday!
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I'm an insomniac, so there's rarely a time when I get to bed before 3-4am, and in those hours before I go to bed I often have a snack. I just log when I eat at the time I eat it, so sometimes it's before midnight and adds on to everything else I've eaten that day, and sometimes it's after midnight so the snack is added onto the 'next day' (most of the snack category food you see in my diary is eaten some time between midnight and 3am.) The lack of sleep isn't exactly great of course but I've suffered insomnia since I was a small child, so I'm pretty used to it; so long as I'm accurate with my logging then I'm happy. Sure, eating cookies in the wee early hours can limit me sugar-wise in the day-time, but most importantly I keep within my calories in each 24 hour period, and I'm losing weight, so it works for me.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't get a chance to go to sleep til around 7am. I just track a day from the time I wake up til the time I go to bed.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am awake at night and sleep too in the day so I understand. Come up with a tracking plan and be consistent. That's all.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I USE THE JULIAN CALENDAR.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I do the "from wake up til bedtime" logging. Day shift is no problem, but night shift is a little different. When I'm on night shift, I wake up about 3pm and go to bed the next morning about 730am. Workouts can be anytime between 11pm and 4am...if after midnight, I log them on the day before. It can be a little confusing sometimes!! :huh:
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what everyone considers to be their "day" as far as the calories you track. I work an odd schedule and sometimes most of my calories are consumed after midnight. I was just wondering if I should be adding them to current day or the following day since it is technically the next day. Hope that wasn't too confusing!!
    does not really matter. i go from 8pm to 8 pm as that is my fasting cycle. ultimately it is a cummulative number that adds up over time