Oatmeal topping ideas?

Options
I've been having lots of oatmeal lately and need more topping ideas. I eat two Quaker Oats plain instant oatmeal packets (200 calories). I normally put half a banana sliced (60ish calories) ,a teaspoon of honey (20 calories), and two truvia packets or two mini boxes of raisins (90 calories) with two truvia packets. What do you guys have on your oatmeal?

Replies

• stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I put cut up nectarines, strawberries and blueberries. I also coarsely chop up some almonds as well.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My favorite: A tablespoon of natural peanut butter and strawberries.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You could try these:

* Berries - blueberries, raspberries, fresh or frozen

* Stewed - apple, pear, rhubarb (we bake fruit night before as a dessert with organic maple syrup, vanilla bean, orange zest) either as separate fruits or you could let your hair down and combine them.

* Yoghurt - we make our own Greek style yoghurt and add in various flavourings to that ie. Raspberry/Strawberry fruit jam, Vanilla bean and often the zest of an orange or lemon with a dash of Rum essence.

So there you are the combo's are amazingly tasty and refreshing.....you have many different ways of doing said toppings once you get into the mind set.

Have also seen Oatmeal topping ideas that use savoury flavours. I can't help with that but made my American pals can come to your aid. Think it was along the lines of Bacon/Maple Syrup.

Happy eating. :drinker:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Tablespoon of cocoa powder, scoop of vanilla protein powder, and sliced banana,
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I just saw a recipe yesterday that had pumpkin in it! Yum!!! Def trying that soon. A pinch of pumpkin pie spice too. And chopped walnuts and coconut... The possibilities are endless!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Pancakes, butter, and maple syrup. That always tops oatmeal. Come to think of it, IMHO, pretty much any other breakfast tops oatmeal.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i love mine with cocoa powder and peanut butter (soo yummy!!), sometimes with cinnamon too, and then occasionally add fruit to it (usually berries or banana).
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I like mine with two tablespoons of peanut butter, 1 tablespoon of hershey's cocoa powder, several sweetener packets (I prefer Splenda), and blueberries.

It's good with PB2, too.

Sometimes I'll do peanut butter and jelly, as well.

And then there's the hot cocoa mix. Which I do when I'm craving hot chocolate but it's too darn hot outside to drink it. Some say not to mix a marshmallow in it. I do and it taste delish like that. So, don't be afraid to try it with the marshmallow.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Pancakes, butter, and maple syrup. That always tops oatmeal. Come to think of it, IMHO, pretty much any other breakfast tops oatmeal.

Aw, come on! Oatmeal is awesome. :)
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Nutella!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Aw, come on! Oatmeal is awesome. :)

If by "awesome" you mean "awesome as brick mortar" then we are in complete agreement. Besties?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like it with PB2, with cocoa powder and brown sugar, or just with some vanilla and maple syrup... but it has to be cooked with milk otherwise it tastes like cardboard to me, lol.
  • tlynn141978
    tlynn141978 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like to add chia seeds and pomegranate seeds to packets of maple and brown sugar Open Nature Oatmeal from Safeway. My afternoon snack at work!
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Lately it's been a scoop of vanilla protein powder with PB2 or half of a Starbucks Via packet. Mmm . . . coffee oatmeal :) My old school fave is golden raisins, dried dates and brown sugar.
  • Debssssssssss
    Debssssssssss Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Maple and Almond Butter. Holy freaking yum! Or....... banana and almond butter. Actually. Anything with any kind of nut butter. :p
  • miss_stephanie
    Options
    I have my oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon. Sometimes a banana too. I always microwave with the raisins already mixed in because I love mushy raisins. No sweetener needed!
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    Raspberries, a bit of brown sugar and pecans is delish!

A small handful of butterscotch morsels are divine!

And real maple syrup and dark brown sugar is my stand by.
  • moraiwebird
    moraiwebird Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm all about the savory oatmeal! It's kind of a weekend thing here that I look forward to. Granted, we use steel cut oats, but maybe you could make it work for you.

Favorites:

mozzarella + green onions + garlic + top with poached egg

caramelized onions + handful of spinach + spicy curry powder + cinnamon

1 oz sharp cheddar (or I bet gruyere would be awesome, too) + medium apple (braeburn work well) + pinch of rosemary

tomato + jalapeno + chili powder + ginger + cilantro

turkey bacon + cheddar + onions

feta + sun dried tomatoes + kalamata olive + pinch of parsley + pinch of oregano

spinach + sweet potato + rosemary

red onion + crimini + parmesan + thyme

It's seriously endless.
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon+Splenda
    Pumpkin Pie Spice+Splenda
    Mixed frozen fruit cooked into the oatmeal when microwaved+Splenda
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I add 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1 Tbs honey, 16g walnuts, cinnamon, and fruit - right now fresh peaches are my favorite. Tastes like dessert!

I will often use bananas, blueberries (fresh or frozen), strawberries, raisins or craisins, but peaches are def my fave.