hungry at night??

Options
hi everybody!!...

I can do good in my diet all day long but when is time to go to sleep BOOM I need to eat something I don't think I am even hungry I just feel the urge to eat... any suggestions of what can I do that has helped you deal with this?? sometimes I just go to sleep and wake up later in the night finding myself in the kitchen looking for something to eat I think im going crazy for food lolol,,, please help..

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Banana
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am on psych/sleep meds that increase my appetite at bedtime. Incredibly so. A few weeks ago, I decided to keep a Tupperware container filled with pre-measured (and logged) Cheerios on my nightstand. When the appetite kicked in, I would sit and and eat them. It has seemed to help a great deal. It keeps me from going downstairs to the kitchen where I usually gorge on hunks of havarti cheese and 12 pieces of Hershey's miniatures, at the very least. Hope this helps!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Do good all day and as soon as I get home I am starving!!! I just try to minimize the damage.
  • scarlet717
    scarlet717 Posts: 14
    Options
    thanks that's a good idea...
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?
  • ravenmiss
    Options
    I just save 40-45% of my calories for dinner/nighttime. I know people say you shouldn't eat late, but it works for me. When I don't eat much at night, by morning I'm ready to eat everything in sight, lol.

Doesn't matter what time you eat, your body has no idea what time it is :)
  • scarlet717
    Options
    yes! it happens to me even if I am not on a diet.. sometimes I think is in my mind like is something Im used to and I have to do.. I use to work until 10 pm 11 pm and use to eat at that time now im a staying home mom but stll going to bed at the same time..
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. Usually I'll just have a bowl of soup with a slice of bread. Usually works out around 300cal and gets rid of the munches. I just plan it in as a 4th Meal
  • scarlet717
    Options
    I just save 40-45% of my calories for dinner/nighttime. I know people say you shouldn't eat late, but it works for me. When I don't eat much at night, by morning I'm ready to eat everything in sight, lol.

• Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I split my calories across six 'feedings', the latest one is usually 90 min before bed. I try to keep it balanced with some carbs, some protein, and some fats. Currently hooked on Peanut Butter & Banana smoothies made w/ Greek yogurt.
  • scarlet717
    Options

can you tell im new on this posting thing lol...
  • scarlet717
    Options
    I split my calories across six 'feedings', the latest one is usually 90 min before bed. I try to keep it balanced with some carbs, some protein, and some fats. Currently hooked on Peanut Butter & Banana smoothies made w/ Greek yogurt.

that's sounds yummy thanks
  • Janlo26
    Janlo26 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If your answer to the previous poster is "yes, you are eating enough", then try taking some calories from other meals to devote to a satisfying evening snack. The banana idea works for me, also a small (and I mean small) bowl of cereal. Just a few calories to carry you through 'til morning. The cereal satisfies that crunchy chewing urge some of us get, too.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem as i always leave myself with at least 500 calories after dinner...not sure if it's good to do this but it's never done me any harm in the past year. Also if on an off day i have eaten all of my calories and i am hungry i just eat whatever i want to. If you really feel like you need food, then you need food :) hope this helps
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Protein shake at night, protein keeps you more full and burns more calories to digest.

That helps me.
  • scarlet717
    Options
    Protein shake at night, protein keeps you more full and burns more calories to digest.

That helps me.

thanks
  • ravenmiss
    Options
    If your answer to the previous poster is "yes, you are eating enough", then try taking some calories from other meals to devote to a satisfying evening snack. The banana idea works for me, also a small (and I mean small) bowl of cereal. Just a few calories to carry you through 'til morning. The cereal satisfies that crunchy chewing urge some of us get, too.

Yeah, I'm still curious how much the OP is eating and if it's enough. Shouldn't being hungry on a reasonable deficit but I know it can happen.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Knowing I am munchy at night I pre log my snack in the morning so I know I wont go over...shouldn't go over...
  • scarlet717
    Options

Yeah, I'm still curious how much the OP is eating and if it's enough. Shouldn't being hungry on a reasonable deficit but I know it can happen.

that's why I said I think im not even hungry but just want to eat something.. like an addiction
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    me, too. what i do is i eat 5 160 to 250 calorie per day meals, averaging 1000 calories, and at night i can have a bowl of cereal and non fat milk or a yogurt or something and stay within my target calories. it's working fine, as i'm losing weight steadily.

one other thing - i find it very helpful to know what i'll have as a before bed snack. i plan around 160 to 200 calories, and i make sure it's something i really like so it's satisfying. if you decide in advance, you won't have to wander through the kitchen looking, which for me tends to mean finding something either less satisfying, which makes me want to eat more, or something that doesn't fit my calorie or protein goals for the end of the day.