I just want to give up for heaven sake!!!

Options
I'm so frustrated! According to BMI calculators, body fat calculators and anything I read anywhere I am in the obese category. I workout 5-6 days a week doing weights or cardio and watch what I eat and I still just can't get down into a normal weight range. I've struggled my entire life just to get down to a normal weight for my height and I just can't, I feel like such a failure. I've been wearing size 12 jeans since high school (I'm 28 now) and I just want to be able to wear a 10 for heaven sake! Do any of you have any insight as to what is going on here?

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    You seem to switch between 1,300+ days and 1,800+ days, what are you basing your calorie consumption on?

Drink water, I drink a gallon a day, eat more protein, lift weights if you really want to change your body.

Your macros look like they could be better to me, I think sugar and fat should be lower, and protein should be way higher, although really you lose weight based on total calories. Protein fills you up more than carbs, it also takes more energy to digest than carbs or fat, which means you burn more calories.

I use TDEE -20%, if MFP's calculation works for you, great, if that is what you are doing, I don't know but I don't really get what you are doing.

You have to eat at a consistent deficit to lose.
  • daniel_parrett
    daniel_parrett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with perseverance- you honestly don't look like someone that has a 2k calorie goal......

im 320, at 2 lbs/wk goal, and I get ~2k calories...

I would recommend putting yourself at sedentary and tracking workouts separately, then eat ~half your workout calories back and try that for a couple weeks and see how that works...
  • Tatyanne
    Tatyanne Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm so frustrated! According to BMI calculators, body fat calculators and anything I read anywhere I am in the obese category. I workout 5-6 days a week doing weights or cardio and watch what I eat and I still just can't get down into a normal weight range. I've struggled my entire life just to get down to a normal weight for my height and I just can't, I feel like such a failure. I've been wearing size 12 jeans since high school (I'm 28 now) and I just want to be able to wear a 10 for heaven sake! Do any of you have any insight as to what is going on here?

Do you want to change your lifestyle?
    Cause your diary says you don't...fries, milkshakes, lots of processed food... Where are the veggies and fruits?
    It's not enough to be in caloric deficit, you need to make correct choices

This are just suggestions, don't forget that :)

- reduce your sodium intake
    Maybe readjust your macros (reduce carbs and increase proteins %)
    - if possible, exercise in the morning. If you choose an exercise up to 40min, you don't need to eat anything before, that way the exercise will use the stored "fat"
    - you can eat bread, but forget the processed white bread and choose the dark one (1 to 2 slices a day, preferably at breakfast)
    - you can eat cheese, just need to choose the lean one...parmesan its not a good choice
    - try to avoid pre-prepared food. Cook your food, cause it will have less salt and not healthy things
    - don't skip any meals (at least breakfast, lunch and dinner)
    - log your water (at least 8 cups a day - 6.7 oz each cup)
    - avoid fast food (it will reduce bad fat)
    - forget the sweets 6 days a week (deserts, cakes, ...., ) and one day a week indulge in ONE thing, preferable until 2pm, so you have some time to burn those calories (it will reduce sugar)
    - introduce more fruit, vegetables and nuts in your diet (it will provide fibers and proteins, good to help maintaining lean mass and guarantee that what we loose is fat not muscle)
    -log correctly (quickly add calories don't make you accountable. Try to log as precise as possible).

Kisses
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    If you want to give up, then go for it. No one can help you unless you have the right attitude.

Only thing is to just keep going, try something new.

oh and not worry about BMI and stuff like that.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Looking at a solid month of entries. I have the following suggestions. Time your carbs around your workouts (before and after) and then don't eat them for the rest of the day unless you have an active job. Looks like a lot of empty carbs and sugar (graham crackers, crackers, pie filling, white bread, cookies). I also see a lot of processed foods, low protein and almost no veges. You need to be consistent with your diet and exercise. It takes time, dedication and patience.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Your profile says "When can I stop hating myself?!"

I think that's the first place you should start. Being successful at weight loss highly unlikely to happen when you come from a place of self loathing.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Cause your diary says you don't...fries, milkshakes, lots of processed food... Where are the veggies and fruits?

- if possible, exercise in the morning. If you choose an exercise up to 40min, you don't need to eat anything before, that way the exercise will use the stored "fat"
    - you can eat bread, but forget the processed white bread and choose the dark one (1 to 2 slices a day, preferably at breakfast)
    - you can eat cheese, just need to choose the lean one...parmesan its not a good choice
    - try to avoid pre-prepared food. Cook your food, cause it will have less salt and not healthy things
    - forget the sweets 6 days a week (deserts, cakes, ...., ) and one day a week indulge in ONE thing, preferable until 2pm, so you have some time to burn those calories (it will reduce sugar)
    - introduce more fruit, vegetables and nuts in your diet (it will provide fibers and proteins, good to help maintaining lean mass and guarantee that what we loose is fat not muscle)
    -log correctly (quickly add calories don't make you accountable. Try to log as precise as possible).

Kisses

^ No, just no.

OP, try to ignore where you sit on the BMI chart. It's hard, I know. Log your food as accurately as you can (weigh with a food scale, measure liquids), keep a sane deficit (.5 - 1 #/week loss), and be patient.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Kisses

Oh god...ignore this drivel.
  • ACrowsDay
    ACrowsDay Posts: 66 Member
    Options

^ ^ ^ ^
    THIS

Kisses
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Kisses

Oh god...ignore this drivel.

I was just going to ask...what does any of this have to do with losing weight?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    To lose weight all it takes is a calorie deficit. Doesn't matter if all you eat is Twinkies, if you are in a caloric deficit you'll lose weight. Now I am NOT saying that you can get all your nutrients from Twinkies, but it's a fact. Calorie deficit no matter what the food = weight loss. Now body recomposition is a different story.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It is not a easy or fast process, don't lose faith. I have to work very hard to lose weight too so I know how you feel. I think you are eating too many calories, you have got to get a deficit going, maybe try droping to 1500 calories per day and see if that helps. If what you are doing is not working keep tweaking, there has to be something out of balance. If I were you I would cut back on the fast food and desserts and see how your body reacts.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    To lose weight all it takes is a calorie deficit. Doesn't matter if all you eat is Twinkies, if you are in a caloric deficit you'll lose weight. Now I am NOT saying that you can get all your nutrients from Twinkies, but it's a fact. Calorie deficit no matter what the food = weight loss. Now body recomposition is a different story.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

FTW
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    In...

... to read about the evils of "processed foods."
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Kisses

anyway....gif
  • Jeslefisch
    Jeslefisch Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Kisses

^ No, just no.

OP, try to ignore where you sit on the BMI chart. It's hard, I know. Log your food as accurately as you can (weigh with a food scale, measure liquids), keep a sane deficit (.5 - 1 #/week loss), and be patient.

I thought that was all really good advice.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Kisses

I thought that was all really good advice.

Ya...this was the only part that wasn't crap.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

Kisses

So I watch my calories and hit my macros. I also:

- don't look at my sodium...ever
    - exercise whenever I can fit it in, which is usually after my 1 year old is in bed at night
    - eat bread of any colour
    - eat cheese of any kind
    - eat things that come out of boxes and packets
    - have experimented with intermittent fasting
    - never log my water, though I do carry around a 1.5l bottle
    - eat fast food when I want
    - eat chocolate every.single.night
    - rarely eat fruit beyond a banana a day
    - does peanut butter count as eating nuts??

*looks at ticker*

You don't need rules and regulations. You just need to log accurately and honestly. Create a deficit. Hit your macros if that's what you wanna do.
  • JessieJaeg
    JessieJaeg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I have been on a diet since I was 12. I am now 33 and figured out I don't need a diet I need a lifestyle change. Have you ever considered doing a detox? I just finished one and lost 13 lbs in 21 days. Calories in vs calories out is a MYTH! It does matter what you fuel your body with. Go the see the movie Fed Up (www.fedupmovie.com) After a detox and watching this movie I am switching our whole families diet. The movie does a great job of telling you how different calories effect your body. Good luck, keep going, and no matter what the scale says remember you are getting healthier ever day!
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I have been on a diet since I was 12. I am now 33 and figured out I don't need a diet I need a lifestyle change. Have you ever considered doing a detox? I just finished one and lost 13 lbs in 21 days. Calories in vs calories out is a MYTH! It does matter what you fuel your body with. Go the see the movie Fed Up (www.fedupmovie.com) After a detox and watching this movie I am switching our whole families diet. The movie does a great job of telling you how different calories effect your body. Good luck, keep going, and no matter what the scale says remember you are getting healthier ever day!

Calories in vs calories out is not a myth. It's science.

OP, if you need some motivation to keep going, check out the Success Stories section of the forums. There are amazing stories of people who overcame hardships and worked long and hard to achieve their goals. Also, pay attention to the people who have big numbers indicated on their weight loss tickers. Those folks know what they're talking about.

As for the rest of it, if you're not losing, then you're making a mistake somewhere in your calories in/calories out equation. The links graceisjinxed provided are a good starting place to find where your mistakes lie.

Good luck to you!