AN Recovery: Night sweats, extreme hunger, meal plan...

Options
Hello,

I am just about 6 weeks out of inpatient treatment for my ED. In the beginning of my hospital stay I weighed in at 47.1. After about 3 days of eating almost nothing waiting to be moved to a ED unit, my lowest weight ultimately became 45.1kg. From then I was in hospital on a meal plan for a total of 3 weeks. During this time I made "pass" twice. The guidelines for earning a pass are weight recovery of at least 1kg per week. The morning of my discharge I was at a weight of 47.1.

I am 172.5cm. In hospital the last meal plan I was on was what I would estimate to be around 2300-2400.

Since being home I had been trying to follow the meal plan as close as possible. It's been a lot of trial and error as I am a very picky eater, vegetarian, and my Mom who is helping me through this is not the most educated in cooking vegetarian entree's. The month following discharge I estimated my intake to be hitting 1850-2000 everyday. During this time I was bouncing from 47.5 to one day 49.2(?!!):huh:, and back to 47.1... This made me believe I was eating enough, especially since I wasn't sitting around all day. It discouraged me from upping my intake.

For the past few weeks however, I've hit a bit of a slump and now find myself only having consumed 1000-1200 after dinner. I have still been hitting between a range of 1500-1750 only due to a "power bowl" for HS snack that consists of a lot of greek yogurt with granolas and cereals.

The past week or so I have been experiencing night sweats almost every night. Soaking PJ's, sheets, etc... In addition to this I've been finding myself incredible tired, and hungry. During/after breakfast I feel like I could just keep going. And immediately when I wake up in the morning I feel incredibly hungry.

I met with my outpatient dietician for the first time last week for a quick 1 hour visit. She gave me a new meal plan and indicated she wants me hitting 2400/day. I have been struggling since my meeting with her and won't be able to see her again until next Friday.

Has anyone else experienced the hunger and night sweats during ED recovery? Also, does anyone have any advice for a simple meal plan I can follow? The dietician I went to gave me a meal plan and booklet guide to follow that meal plan that may be for more of a weight maintenance/weight loss audience... It's been overwhelming trying to follow.

Replies

• hlm711
    hlm711 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Firstly, a big well done for choosing recovery, although it may feel like your being forced by family and professionals at times, you ultimatly have the final decision, so feel proud of yourself.
    When I was in recovery, and actually really started taking increasing my calories seriously I experienced night sweats alot. I used to wake up drenched in the middle of the night like someone had put a hose on me!
    But its completly normal, and a positive thing as it shows your body is coming out of its starvation hibernation and normal bodily systems and functions are beginning to kick in again.
    Although it can be a pain, try and see it as a positive thing. I used to feel very tired too, but again your body is putting alot of effort into healing itself with these new 'healing' calories, so again, dont worry it will pass as you continue to recover.

I cant really help with a meal plan, but I found the following foods very helpful:
    Peanut butter on bread/digestive biscuits/ oat cakes-It used to be a huge fear food for me but now I love the energy it gives me..especially with Jam on top too!
    Any nuts
    Scones/tea cakes/muffins
    Granola
    Breads (think outside the box and when you feel comfortable with them-explore more interesting types like olive flavoured or multiseed.
    Milkshakes

I know seeing a dramatic weight gain is scary, but remember this does not mean you've put on X amount of fat-during early stages of recovery your weight will fluctuate alot due to the changes going on inside.Its important not to restrict as you'll just yo-yo between this stage.

Feel free to ask any questions :) and best of luck for a bright and happy future. It really is possible
  • recoveryroad24
    recoveryroad24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Firstly, a big well done for choosing recovery, although it may feel like your being forced by family and professionals at times, you ultimatly have the final decision, so feel proud of yourself.
    When I was in recovery, and actually really started taking increasing my calories seriously I experienced night sweats alot. I used to wake up drenched in the middle of the night like someone had put a hose on me!
    But its completly normal, and a positive thing as it shows your body is coming out of its starvation hibernation and normal bodily systems and functions are beginning to kick in again.

Although it can be a pain, try and see it as a positive thing. I used to feel very tired too, but again your body is putting alot of effort into healing itself with these new 'healing' calories, so again, dont worry it will pass as you continue to recover.

I cant really help with a meal plan, but I found the following foods very helpful:
    Peanut butter on bread/digestive biscuits/ oat cakes-It used to be a huge fear food for me but now I love the energy it gives me..especially with Jam on top too!
    Any nuts
    Scones/tea cakes/muffins
    Granola
    Breads (think outside the box and when you feel comfortable with them-explore more interesting types like olive flavoured or multiseed.
    Milkshakes

I know seeing a dramatic weight gain is scary, but remember this does not mean you've put on X amount of fat-during early stages of recovery your weight will fluctuate alot due to the changes going on inside.Its important not to restrict as you'll just yo-yo between this stage.

Feel free to ask any questions :) and best of luck for a bright and happy future. It really is possible

That's what I am a little confused by... The past week that this has started happening I've actually been on the lower end of calories compared to what I was at 4 weeks ago just being discharged from hospital.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Now you have an idea of just how long and at what increase is required for the healing to really show up.

4 weeks sounds about average for metabolism to start speeding up.

Certainly doesn't happen immediately.

Sadly the body seems more willing to drop faster than speed up faster. So don't keep threatening it with too low of consumption.

You got it.
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i suffered with an eating disorder and i didnt have so much issues with the night sweats but the extreme hunger i did. i felt like i was hungry all the time and if i didnt get food i would get really irritable. This is normal though in recovery for eating disorders. it does improve after a while when your body gets more towards a healthy weight. The extreme hunger is usually down to not eating enough or not eating regularly enough
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The dietician I went to gave me a meal plan and booklet guide to follow that meal plan that may be for more of a weight maintenance/weight loss audience... It's been overwhelming trying to follow.

Would it be possible for you to take the meal plan that the dietician gave you and break it out to make it easier for you to follow? I know that it is hard to focus when in recovery due to the fatigue. Maybe you can take a page from the booklet and make a few notes in your own words and create an outline. As it becomes familiar, it will be easier. Baby steps.
  • uglyclub
    uglyclub Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I didn't experience night sweats while recovering, but I heard that's it's an indication of increased metabolism and it should stop once you reach a more stable weight. I did experience extreme hunger though. I was put on a 2500 calorie meal plan too, but always ate more than that. There were times where I'd freak out and eat less and it always resulted in me "binging". So I stopped restricting altogether and stuck to my meal plan (sometimes eating more than that). The extreme hunger went away once I reached a weight that was healthy for me. Good luck.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hope you find this easier to follow...

Here are some initial recommendations regarding diet for weight gain.
    Protein is an essential requirement for building muscle + a calorie surplus = TDEE+ (at this point that may seem near impossible hence the gradual increase in daily calories.)

Focus on the following:
    Fresh fruit and vegetables (raw and lightly cooked) - these foods are full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants which are important for reducing inflammation and repair.
    Choose whole foods. Avoid processed foods - that's foods containing white flour, sugar, and no fibre, usually found in the centre isles of the supermarket.
    Include healthy fats such as full fat milk, yoghurt, cheese, sour cream; butter, real mayonnaise, olive oil, nut oils, coconut oil, coconut milk and cream, raw nuts, nut butters and seeds (pumpkin, sesame, sunflower etc.) Use a combination of these on your vege's and at each meal.
    Good quality protein - eggs, cheese, baked beans, lentils, beans, tofu, nuts and nut butters, (and bacon, sausage, cold meats, tin tuna/salmon/sardines, pork, beef, lamb, fish if not vegetarian.)
    Carbohydrates - include a variety of complex grains included in cereals and grainy bread, brown/white/wild rice, pasta, and starchy vegetables (potatoes, kumera, yams etc.) These foods will fill you up quickly so take care how much you eat of these.

Aim for healthy calorie dense foods. These foods will have a higher fat content for a small volume. (Please note that fat is NOT bad for everyone, but remember to choose healthy fats as mentioned above.)
  • recoveryroad24
    recoveryroad24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I didn't experience night sweats while recovering, but I heard that's it's an indication of increased metabolism and it should stop once you reach a more stable weight. I did experience extreme hunger though. I was put on a 2500 calorie meal plan too, but always ate more than that. There were times where I'd freak out and eat less and it always resulted in me "binging". So I stopped restricting altogether and stuck to my meal plan (sometimes eating more than that). The extreme hunger went away once I reached a weight that was healthy for me. Good luck.

Do you mind me asking if you gained quickly on 2500? I'm so lost on my calorie requirements because the way my weight has changed since being home keeps messing with my mind. Yesterday I hit approx.1692.
  • uglyclub
    uglyclub Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Do you mind me asking if you gained quickly on 2500? I'm so lost on my calorie requirements because the way my weight has changed since being home keeps messing with my mind. Yesterday I hit approx.1692.

Well, I always ate more than my meal plan recommended, around 3000+ calories, so my weight gain was a bit faster than it would have been if I stuck to 2500 calories instead. But most of the weight I gained was water weight. I went up 10 pounds more than my pre-ED weight and freaked out, but within a few months of eating recommended amounts consistently (I didn't exercise during recovery - it's better if you don't), those 10 pounds vanished. The reason you're gaining weight "quickly" is because your body is retaining a lot of water, which is normal during recovery. Don't worry. It's better to gain on 2500 calories and fix your metabolism.
  • chene249
    chene249 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello. I too am trying to recover. But can I just ask with such a dramatic step in increasing your calories, how do you mentally/ psychologically/ emotionally cope with all your PHYSICAL body changes? Ie. like the fat you see coming back onto your frame... I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that my tummy will get bigger, arms and thighs flabbier etc etc - which is kind of preventing me from starting an increased calorie meal plan in the first place.

I'm sorry if I'm hijacking this post >.< should i make a new thread?
  • VeganEquestrian
    VeganEquestrian Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm in AN recovery and I am starving all the time! I'll legit eat a 700 cal breakfast and be starving an hour later! I wake up and can only think about breakfast. It kind of freaks me out. This probably isn't helpful but your not alone!!!
  • I'm not exactly in recovery and suffer another form of ED however I do know to the person asking about coping with bodily changes, the beginning will always be the toughest, but as your body adjusts to receiving adequate amount of nutrition it will shift and bloating will subside as your body gets adjusted. It's a matter of reminding yourself that this is necessary for your health. You will get there, just keep pushing through and striving for a healthy and carefree lifestyle. :smile:
  • hlm711
    hlm711 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend this blog to anyone over coming eating issues, really inspirational lady :)
    http://living-with-anorexia.blogspot.co.uk/
  • daniellekunkel1
    Options
    The past week or so I have been experiencing night sweats almost every night. Soaking PJ's, sheets, etc... In addition to this I've been finding myself incredible tired, and hungry. During/after breakfast I feel like I could just keep going. And immediately when I wake up in the morning I feel incredibly hungry.

I met with my outpatient dietician for the first time last week for a quick 1 hour visit. She gave me a new meal plan and indicated she wants me hitting 2400/day. I have been struggling since my meeting with her and won't be able to see her again until next Friday.

Has anyone else experienced the hunger and night sweats during ED recovery? Also, does anyone have any advice for a simple meal plan I can follow? The dietician I went to gave me a meal plan and booklet guide to follow that meal plan that may be for more of a weight maintenance/weight loss audience... It's been overwhelming trying to follow.

I'm also currently recovering from an eating disorder, and I have experienced those exact symptoms, except while I was in the inpatient treatment program, I discovered, because I'm a masterful, inconspicuous detective, that they had increased from meal plan from perhaps an original 1800-2000 calories to a whopping 3000 calories! I don't know about the original estimate, but I actually did come across that 3000 number on one of my documents they had on file.
    During inpatient and even now, I constantly feel bloated, nauseous, full, and lethargic. My food consumption seemed superfluous, especially initially. However, before that meal plan increase, I was experiencing the same early morning hunger pangs, but that problem was quickly resolved.
    As for the night sweats, somebody informed me that those are a result of an increasing metabolism, which may also explain why you're hungry in the morning and require a meal plan increasing.
    So, don't fret, because you're surely not alone! This weight restoration process is some scary ****, and I must say, I'm equally as terrified and appalled by practically everything about it. Still, I know that is only the ED voice inside my head telling me it's scary. My body, my muscles, my brain, ect. are thanking the heavens for this psychologically perceived "scary-****."
    Just keep fighting that damn ED voice inside your head, and you'll eventually triumph over it, including those mild physical discomforts. I believe in you and myself too. In a way, this advice I'm giving you has even opened up my own eyes.
    We have power, power to beat the ED!