ouch! advice please!

Options
mr_mitch
mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
OK. So I've never really done any weight lifting but I really want to work on increasing my upper body strength.

So I thought I'd give the 100 push up challenge a go...

http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

So I managed about 11 on the initial test before my arms gave up completely!

Anyway I've only done days 1 and 2 (of the middle column)

....and my shoulders are now absolutely killing me! Every time I move them! Things that involve moving my arms are now quite painful! (Eg putting on a jacket)

Now... What I want to know is..... Is this normal? Am I OK?

Does it mean I'm doing it wrong? Or does it mean I'm doing it right?!

Am I OK to carry OK?

I don't know if I'll be able to increase the number of reps, as it suggests... But I'm willing to give it a try..... As long as I know I'm not doing myself any damage!

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Did you go straight to doing typical push ups? Or did you start upright and go down?

By upright-->down I mean push ups against a wall, then a sturdy chair, then knees, then typical as you become accustomed/strong enough to each level.
  • mr_mitch
    Options
    I just did what the website said and did "good form" pushups.... On the ground. (So typical ones)
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Stop whatever you're doing and do a real routine. Stronglifts 5x5 is good for beginners. Start with the bar, or lower if need be.
  • mr_mitch
    Options
    Hey thqnk you both for replying.

I was just reading up on that actually!

The problem is that I can't afford all the stuff needed / a gym membership!

Which is why I thought bodyweight exercises would be a good starting point.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Those 30 day challenges are a bad idea either start a proper weightlifting routine or proper body weight circuits.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's just DOMS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

Day 1 and 2 are the worst, it will get better after a few days. Some light exercise can actually help.
  • LazSommer
    Options

Planet fitness is like 10 bucks a month, but if you really can't afford that - yes, after the first time working out muscles (a real work out) they will feel like death for a few days. It will pass. Don't stop.
  • mr_mitch
    Options
    Those 30 day challenges are a bad idea either start a proper weightlifting routine or proper body weight circuits.

Well its a 6 week challenge, but thanks - taken on board, I will look into other options.
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch beforehand. When I do stuff like that I stretch a couple times a day. Good luck!
  • mr_mitch
    Options
    It's just DOMS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

Day 1 and 2 are the worst, it will get better after a few days. Some light exercise can actually help.

Thanks for the link. I read the whole thing and it sounds pretty spot on :)
  • mr_mitch
    Options

Planet fitness is like 10 bucks a month, but if you really can't afford that - yes, after the first time working out muscles (a real work out) they will feel like death for a few days. It will pass. Don't stop.

Thanks.

I'm from the UK my local gym starts a about £35 - £40 - I'm on a student budget so its a lot for me but it could be do-able.... I might readjust my finances!
  • mr_mitch
    Options
    Make sure you stretch beforehand. When I do stuff like that I stretch a couple times a day. Good luck!

That's good advice. Thanks. Can't you tell I'm a total n00b!

PS, sorry I can't work out how to multi-quote, hence all the individual replies.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Thanks.

I'm from the UK my local gym starts a about £35 - £40 - I'm on a student budget so its a lot for me but it could be do-able.... I might readjust my finances!

Do you not get student membership?! My gym does half price for students.
  • mr_mitch
    Options
    Well there is a good gym on campus which I could get at a good discount!

But I don't live on campus I live an hour away and I carpool with people, otherwise I could go after classes!

Maybe my local gym does a student discount I'll have to enquire.

I have to admit tho, I am kind of scared of gyms I find them really intimidating!!!

I love working out... On my own... But I wouldn't be comfortable exercising in public. I'd feel so self conscious! Not because I'm overweight, (I'm not) I just don't think I'm that fit!

Maybe this is something I'm gonna have to overcome!
  • LazSommer
    Options
    Well there is a good gym on campus which I could get at a good discount!

But I don't live on campus I live an hour away and I carpool with people, otherwise I could go after classes!

Maybe my local gym does a student discount I'll have to enquire.

I have to admit tho, I am kind of scared of gyms I find them really intimidating!!!

I love working out... On my own... But I wouldn't be comfortable exercising in public. I'd feel so self conscious! Not because I'm overweight, (I'm not) I just don't think I'm that fit!

Maybe this is something I'm gonna have to overcome!

Just a tip - most people in the gym are too consumed with themselves to worry about you.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Stop whatever you're doing and do a real routine. Stronglifts 5x5 is good for beginners. Start with the bar, or lower if need be.

What are stronglift 5x5? Sounds interesting...:smile:
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    When starting a new exercise don't go for 100 of them all at once. Do a variety in small sets and work your way up. This should prevent injury. Also, a gentle warm up of walking, biking, jumping jacks etc and a bit of VERY light stretching, more like moving in range of motion rather than holding and stretching the muscle. Cold muscles should not be stretched. Save that for after when your muscles are warm and more pliable.
  • LazSommer
    Options

What are stronglift 5x5? Sounds interesting...:smile:

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It could be muscle soreness, but it is easy to mess up your shoulder joint with push ups. I've done power yoga for years, and have had both shoulders go out from too many high to low planks. It is a difficult move that you should be coached on from a form standpoint.
  • mr_mitch
    Options
    Thanks. And yes, it has eased off considerably overnight.

I am guessing I've been working muscles that I've never really used before.

And yeah I've been eating more protein to help them recover!