Calories burned on the job

Options
I just got hired for a job and worked for about 4 hours and 40 minutes. Some of this time was walking, but most of it was standing. Would standing for that long burn any considerable amount of calories? And if so, how should I log it in my diary?

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I would set your activity level to lightly active, rather than count it as separate exercise. I teach on a large campus, so I walk a lot and am on my feet, so I just set the MFP activity level to lightly active, and that raises the calories I would need. If I take an extra walk -- I usually walk a mile and a half briskly around my neighborhood every day -- or do something at the gym, then I log it as exercise.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Dead serious?
  • lorrennon
    lorrennon Posts: 43
    Options
    I just set mfp to sedentary and let my fitbit zip keep track. Anything I do that doesn't get logged is just a bonus towards losing weight. If you try to track everything, you'd join me at the funny farm. The goal is losing weight, not finding excuses to eat more, which is usually the case when we look to add relatively minor things to our calorie burn count... just my 2 cents.
  • rsilverlining
    rsilverlining Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Really, I think it depends on what you do. I'm a waitress, so my job can go anywhere between standing, staring at the wall and bolting across hallways with 30 lbs of dishes in my arms. Use your better judgment. Set it at lightly active, as has been suggested, and then on days when there's a heavy workload, go ahead and give it your best estimate.

You may also consider investing in a pedometer, so you can get accurate data.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I just set mfp to sedentary and let my fitbit zip keep track. Anything I do that doesn't get logged is just a bonus towards losing weight. If you try to track everything, you'd join me at the funny farm. The goal is losing weight, not finding excuses to eat more, which is usually the case when we look to add relatively minor things to our calorie burn count... just my 2 cents.

Same here, except I use a Bodymedia. It takes all the guesswork out of your daily burn. I highly recommend it for anyone who can afford it.
  • aal254
    aal254 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Any other day I really wouldn't care to log it, but I felt bad that I drank a milkshake I had to make when I was training haha, so I was hoping to just find out how much exercise I'd need to help offset it.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Coming from the UK the title of this thread had me thinking something VERY different..

Umm wouldn't worry too much about the milkshake OP. And if it was a one off burn don't bother resetting anything. Just take it as a little extra boost for the day :drinker:

My job can also have me running about like a loon for 10/12hrs or just bum parked in a chair. If you cant guarantee which it'll be then go with sedentary.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Coming from the UK the title of this thread had me thinking something VERY different..

Same LOL!!
  • lorrennon
    lorrennon Posts: 43
    Options
    Any other day I really wouldn't care to log it, but I felt bad that I drank a milkshake I had to make when I was training haha, so I was hoping to just find out how much exercise I'd need to help offset it.

i was right again :tongue: just write it off and try not to do it again.. We all fall off the wagon. The key to success is to get back on it before the wheels run us over.:smile:
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill desk at work. Today I burned 305 calories while I worked. :)
  • aal254
    aal254 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Haha oops I didn't think of that... but I this was the first time I've really "fallen off the wagon," I guess I'm trying to just find a way to make up for it, haha. Thanks, everyone.
  • SirNewfie
    SirNewfie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well Said!
  • SirNewfie
    SirNewfie Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Well Said!