Kneecap misalignment and arthritis- no more running/squats

Options
I've had knee pain off and on for awhile but it's been especially bad the last year. I'm in my 20's and I've been running for years! I've only been overweight for 2 years since I had a baby. I thought I might have runner's knee, I finally went to the doctor today and got x-rays. Turns out I have kneecap misalignment and arthritis in my knee. He said I was born w/ my kneecap turned out but running while being overweight probably made it worse.

Dr. told me to STOP running. :sad: Also, I just started StrongLifts 5x5 3 weeks ago and I've been loving it so much! He told me to stop doing lower body weight lifting too. He said for cardio I can bike and swim. Also I should keep up my weight loss since that will help take the pressure off my knees. (I've lost 10 lbs, have 40 lbs to go.) I'm going to do physical therapy, use anti-inflamatory cream on my knees.

I am so bummed right now. I know I can lose the weight without running so at least that will be ok. I just really enjoy running (hence my mfp name). When I first became pregnant (almost 3 years ago) I was training for a half marathon and that was my goal now but I guess that's out. :frown: I don't know if I'll be able to run again in the future if the physical therapy works or whatever.

Anyone in similar situation? Any experiences you can share or advice? I know I'll be fine losing weight and there are other cardio options (not as great as running but yeeah..) but what about strength training?

Replies

• healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bump- not looking for medical advice, mostly just coping. I've been crying lots since I got back from the doctor...
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    my sister currently has a strained back with back spasms. She had to stop our team cross training workouts (kettlebells, body weight lunge jumps, jump squats, med ball stuff), she had to stop weight training, can only do some blogilates (mostly stretching videos). You know what she does? she walks. She swims. She joined this master swim class. She watches her eating since she knows she cannot do mile run pacing.

Recently she did a hill repeat with me. She recognized that it was too soon and she is taking it easy. She is listening to her body.

It's tough. Getting off that road we trained ourselves to be on. However, during the healing process be extra attentive to PT, follow the advice your doctor gave, and most of all listen to your body. A lot of mistakes a person does is heal and then go right back to the injury because of the excitement and overdoing it.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery in January. When I went for a four month post up my doctor said I looked and acted like I was four weeks post op. Told me I was doing too much and causing my knee to not heal. No running and no squats for me either. Bike, elliptical, and swimming for me also BUT only if it doesn't hurt. Everything I do hurts!! I understand your frustration completely!
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I have to go relatively easy on my knee after I got hit by a truck, which knocked out my kneecap. My doctor said I had to strengthen the muscles around it to keep it in place and after several years of doing that I've just started to run myself.
    It hurts every so often still, like today, and I'm really worried about getting arthritis but in the meantime I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing...

I'm so sorry to hear that you can't run anymore, that's so sad. You have my sympathy. :c
  • healingnurtrer
    Options
    Thanks for responding guys. I definitely will listen to my body. (The "your knee hurts" voice not the "running feels fantastic- push through the knee pain" voice. ) Sorry about your injuries. It's frustrating- especially with being young and feeling like I'm limited now... like my body's broken or something. And it KILLS me that being overweight added to the problem! I wish I hadn't started overeating after having a baby. I didn't think it would lead to me ruining my knees.

I hope PT helps. And I'm going to keep food logging... I guess I'll need to lower my calories. I don't know if biking/swimming is going to be as much of a burn as running. Anyway... it'll be ok. Just a new challenge.
  • healingnurtrer
    Options
    I had knee surgery in January. When I went for a four month post up my doctor said I looked and acted like I was four weeks post op. Told me I was doing too much and causing my knee to not heal. No running and no squats for me either. Bike, elliptical, and swimming for me also BUT only if it doesn't hurt. Everything I do hurts!! I understand your frustration completely!

I'm sorry- I hope it starts healing!! Looks like you are doing a great job with weight loss!!
  • healingnurtrer
    Options
    I have to go relatively easy on my knee after I got hit by a truck, which knocked out my kneecap. My doctor said I had to strengthen the muscles around it to keep it in place and after several years of doing that I've just started to run myself.
    It hurts every so often still, like today, and I'm really worried about getting arthritis but in the meantime I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing...

I'm so sorry to hear that you can't run anymore, that's so sad. You have my sympathy. :c

Thank you!