Is this a realistic goal?

Hi all,

I'm a 5'6" 20 year old female weighing 148 pounds. I've gained nearly 20 pounds in the past year due to a variety of reasons, and want to get back down to my normal weight of 128-133 pounds. Is losing 20 pounds from 148 to 128 in three months a realistic goal? I would be eating around 1200 calories and running for around 35-45 minutes 5-6 times a week intermixed with light weight training and pilates here and there. This is the highest I've ever weighed, with 128-133 being my normal / resting weight, and lowest weight being around 118. I'm just curious if 20 pounds in three months is something that is achievable. Please let me know. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• It sounds really reasonable. It's always good to stay ahead of your weight, when I was 22 I gained 40lbs, than at 23 I gained another 40lbs. 10 years later I'm 120 lbs overweight. I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance. Stay on top of it and you will thank yourself later ????
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    No, because you are already a healthy weight for your height. A 1/2-1 lb loss per week is healthy and realistic. Also, eating 1200 calories a day and doing all that exercise is not healthy, unless you're of the mindset that impaired mental function, fainting, and your hair falling out is healthy.

Your best bet, imo, to get the body you want is to eat a realistic calorie goal, get plenty of protein, drink water, lift heavy weights, do some cardio, and eat back a portion of your exercise calories.

These links are very helpful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • I would hardly describe 148 as being healthy. I wouldn't describe it as being grossly overweight, but it is definitely overweight. The way I've been eating in the past year is absolutely not healthy (take out, take out, take out, sweets, processed foods, etc), all coupled with little to no exercise. So to say that 148 is healthy when I've been leading a super unhealthy lifestyle is a bit insane. When I was 128-133 pounds I was eating very well and exercising regularly. 1200 calories would be my net calorie intake after accounting for calories burned through running and light strength training (really not that many, only about 400). Additionally, when I was at my good resting weight I had a Pure Protein shake every morning with breakfast. 35 grams of protein, 150 calories, and </=3 as far as fat, carbs and sugars. I'm a long time vegetarian so I always have to make a point to get enough protein. And even then when I was not aiming to lose I was having around 1600-1800 calories a day, so I don't think 1200 is an unrealistic calorie goal.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I would hardly describe 148 as being healthy. I wouldn't describe it as being grossly overweight, but it is definitely overweight. The way I've been eating in the past year is absolutely not healthy (take out, take out, take out, sweets, processed foods, etc), all coupled with little to no exercise. So to say that 148 is healthy when I've been leading a super unhealthy lifestyle is a bit insane. When I was 128-133 pounds I was eating very well and exercising regularly. 1200 calories would be my net calorie intake after accounting for calories burned through running and light strength training (really not that many, only about 400). Additionally, when I was at my good resting weight I had a Pure Protein shake every morning with breakfast. 35 grams of protein, 150 calories, and </=3 as far as fat, carbs and sugars. I'm a long time vegetarian so I always have to make a point to get enough protein. And even then when I was not aiming to lose I was having around 1600-1800 calories a day, so I don't think 1200 is an unrealistic calorie goal.

So why did you ask for advice if you are already satisfied with your plan?

If I were you, I would listen to kgeyser, because that advice is great advice and those links contain very valuable information. With 20 pounds to lose, you should aim to lose no more than 1lb a week. You may not be happy at 148 pounds, but that doesn't change the fact that at 5'6", 148 pounds is considered a healthy weight. If you're unhappy with your body fat percentage, you'd be better off eating at a smaller deficit, getting in some regular resistance training, and practicing patience.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I would hardly describe 148 as being healthy. I wouldn't describe it as being grossly overweight, but it is definitely overweight. The way I've been eating in the past year is absolutely not healthy (take out, take out, take out, sweets, processed foods, etc), all coupled with little to no exercise. So to say that 148 is healthy when I've been leading a super unhealthy lifestyle is a bit insane. When I was 128-133 pounds I was eating very well and exercising regularly. 1200 calories would be my net calorie intake after accounting for calories burned through running and light strength training (really not that many, only about 400). Additionally, when I was at my good resting weight I had a Pure Protein shake every morning with breakfast. 35 grams of protein, 150 calories, and </=3 as far as fat, carbs and sugars. I'm a long time vegetarian so I always have to make a point to get enough protein. And even then when I was not aiming to lose I was having around 1600-1800 calories a day, so I don't think 1200 is an unrealistic calorie goal.

148 lbs is on high end of the BMI chart for a women standing 5'6" tall, but it is still within the healthy weight range. So no, it's not insane to say that it is a healthy weight for your height. And as I had no way of knowing what your lifestyle is like based on your original post, your response was uncalled for.

You asked if it was realistic, I gave my opinion and some links which are very helpful for anyone looking to lose weight. I'm not sure why you asked for opinions if you've already made up your mind, but as someone who has been around for awhile, here's another piece of advice you didn't ask for: threads like this never end well.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Actually, 148 pounds on a five foot frame is within the healthy range.

The advice given is not insane. Did you know you can lose weight on any type of food you want as long as you eat less than you burn? In other words, the reality is that whatever you were eating was unhealthy for you but is not unhealthy in and of itself. You gained weight because you ate more calories than you burned.

That said, 20 pounds is not much to lose, so to it quickly is unrealistic and not sustainable in the long term. I advise you to set your goals to lose .5 pounds a week, eat back a portion of your exercise calories, eat whatever you like in moderation, log everything you eat, stay at your calorie goals, and just enjoy the process. :smile:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

Ok.
    At 148 and 5'5 I have the beginning of abs - very active and very healthy. Around 150 is my maintainance weight and I am certainly not overweight at that point.

I also lost weight at around 1500 net calories. I'm with kgeyser.
  • Yikes guys, slow down. I didn't mean to come off as sounding ungrateful for the advice or dismissive of it. I was just trying to explain why, for my body, 148 pounds is very unhealthy and why, for my body, 1200 net calories isn't going to lead to hair loss (this number was suggested to my by both MFP and Lose It! given my current height / weight / age). This is why I provided additional aspects of my lifestyle changes in the past year: to show how the +20 pounds was a result of eating crazy amounts and not exercising, and to show how, in the past, my healthy habits (and at what levels I set those habits ie. calorie intake / exercise) worked for me. This what not to say "You're insane with your advice go away u suck!!!" but to say, "That's insane for my body and wouldn't work for my body and here is why." Again, I didn't mean to write it in a way that was dismissive. I was just trying to give you the run down. Additionally, simply because I disagreed with two aspects of your post doesn't mean I'm disregarding your opinion on the whole. Not in any means set in my ways, which is why I am here. :blushing: For example, I have always been kind of opposed to lifting heavy but on your suggestions and links I'm going to try it out. Just because I disagree with some aspects of you input, doesn't mean I'm not seeking advice. Or is it accept all advice or nothing? :tongue: Anyways, thanks for all the input and links. I've found many aspects of it very helpful. Here's to a thread ending well? :drinker:
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    At 5'3.5, 130 it takes me exactly 3 months time and time again to lose 20lbs eating 1200 calories with little to no exercise. We're different but maybe this can give you an idea of a time frame. Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    Yikes guys, slow down. I didn't mean to come off as sounding ungrateful for the advice or dismissive of it. I was just trying to explain why, for my body, 148 pounds is very unhealthy and why, for my body, 1200 net calories isn't going to lead to hair loss (this number was suggested to my by both MFP and Lose It! given my current height / weight / age). This is why I provided additional aspects of my lifestyle changes in the past year: to show how the +20 pounds was a result of eating crazy amounts and not exercising, and to show how, in the past, my healthy habits (and at what levels I set those habits ie. calorie intake / exercise) worked for me. This what not to say "You're insane with your advice go away u suck!!!" but to say, "That's insane for my body and wouldn't work for my body and here is why." Again, I didn't mean to write it in a way that was dismissive. I was just trying to give you the run down. Additionally, simply because I disagreed with two aspects of your post doesn't mean I'm disregarding your opinion on the whole. Not in any means set in my ways, which is why I am here. :blushing: For example, I have always been kind of opposed to lifting heavy but on your suggestions and links I'm going to try it out. Just because I disagree with some aspects of you input, doesn't mean I'm not seeking advice. Or is it accept all advice or nothing? :tongue: Anyways, thanks for all the input and links. I've found many aspects of it very helpful. Here's to a thread ending well? :drinker:
    Really, you're the one who needs to slow down. :wink: the advice you've been given is accurate.

MFP and LOSE IT always set calories to 1200 if a person sets it to lose 2 pounds a week. It's their default.

With 20 pounds, it's too aggressive and is not sustainable. 148 pounds is not overweight.

The best of luck to you.
  • lol okay. Thanks for the advice. :smooched:
  • austeng12
    austeng12 Posts: 4
    Lol. Honestly you come off as a little rude/arrogant. Firstly, everyone carries their weight differently. Just because YOU are unhappy at 148 lbs does not mean that you should get on here and say that being 148 lbs at 5'6 means you're overweight and very unhealthy. I am the same age and height as you. My weight goes up and down, I was 130 at my smallest and maintained 140-145 lbs for several years. I've likewise been in the 148/150 range. When I was 145, I was definitely not overweight. I was actually pretty slim. I find it kind of insulting actually that you would say a weight in which I am currently aiming for and trying to get back to is "very unhealthy." The number on the scale is not what is unhealthy and it is not what you should be paying attention to. You could have ten different women who were all 5'6 and 148 lbs and they could all look completely different. I think rather than losing weight, you should focus on toning up and building muscle. If you're eating crappy food your stomach is going to be a lot more bloated among other things. If you think you have a flabby stomach or arms, tone them up. Don't just try to lose the weight. That is a perfectly healthy weight for the height. YOU may not be healthy, but it's not because of your weight, it's because of your lifestyle. Maybe think a little more before you post next time.
  • SLLRunner
    lol okay. Thanks for the advice. :smooched:
    You know, you do come across as dismissive. If you don't want advice why did you ask?
  • SLLRunner
    I am the same age and height as you. My weight goes up and down, I was 130 at my smallest and maintained 140-145 lbs for several years. I've likewise been in the 148/150 range. When I was 145, I was definitely not overweight. I was actually pretty slim. I find it kind of insulting actually that you would say a weight in which I am currently aiming for and trying to get back to is "very unhealthy." The number on the scale is not what is unhealthy and it is not what you should be paying attention to. You could have ten different women who were all 5'6 and 148 lbs and they could all look completely different.
    So true. I am 5 ft 41/2 and I range between 140 and 142 and am slender as well.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    20 lbs. in 3 months might be realistic for some but it's unlikely for someone your size. Why not just aim for 1 lb/week and see what happens? Odds are you'll lose less than you planned for and will get there eventually if you're patient. If you tie your goal to the scale and dates, you'll likely get discouraged when the scale doesn't comply on your time schedule and quit because you're miserable at 1200 and doing all that exercise, if that's all just for the scale's benefit.