What am I doing wrong?!?

I lost about 30 lbs when I was affected with anorexia and was put into care. Now I'm being watched very carefully but I've gained about 60lbs and I'm ow at 170lbs take or leave a few. I really want to go back to 130!!!

I try to do Zumba for aerobic exercise for at least 20 mins every day, I eat around 1500-1780 calories a day depending on how much exercise I do and I try to eat lots of fish and beans for protein because I'm not a big fan of meat. However, I just seem to be gaining weight or staying the same. I'm getting very discouraged now and am possibly contemplating surgery. I'm 19 by the way.

Replies

• melaniedsm
    melaniedsm Posts: 55
    Add me and I will look at your food, hard to say without specifics
  • AnnJoyLee
    AnnJoyLee Posts: 4
    I do weigh everything I eat.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    My gut reaction is that you are eating too much and doing too little cardio.

On the protein side, try reducing the beans and increasing the fish. You said you dont like meat, but that means different things to different people. (To me, meat = beef, poultry, and seafood ... to others it means just beef, and then others its land critters) If you like chicken or turkey, they are a good source of protein and cheaper then fish. To that end, another good source is eggs.

On the cardio end, the biggest mistake people make is relying on MFP numbers for the calorie burns, or gym machines, etc. The problem with either is that they focus on gross calorie burns, and you've already factored gross into your day. You could use a calculator to alter the results, or just use a more generic formula.

Barring that, there are really really rough formulas that are arguably better then what MFP gives. For example.. here's an unscientific one that will underestimate your burn ... take your weight in pounds, divide by 150. Multiply that result by a value from 1 to 10 where 1 equals you're sleeping, to 10 is this is the most intense workout ever, you might do this twice a year, and should be under close supervision. Therefore, most intense workouts should be between 7-9. Then multply that by the number of minutes you worked out. That equals your net calorie expenditure. 20 minutes of Zumba for you under this model would likely be around 180 calories. Or close to the calories obtained from a 4 piece chicken mcnugget. You can relatively safely use the exact same formula regardless of what kind of cardio, or strength training you do. It's not a perfect formula, but its individualized to your intensity, and scales with your weight. But do realize, I'm not a scientist, doctor, or lawyer, and what works for me may not work for you. My point I'm trying to make here is not necessarily to rely on what the site tells you
  • SnatchPosse
    SnatchPosse Posts: 28 Member
    I lost about 30 lbs when I was affected with anorexia and was put into care. Now I'm being watched very carefully but I've gained about 60lbs and I'm ow at 170lbs take or leave a few. I really want to go back to 130!!!

I try to do Zumba for aerobic exercise for at least 20 mins every day, I eat around 1500-1780 calories a day depending on how much exercise I do and I try to eat lots of fish and beans for protein because I'm not a big fan of meat. However, I just seem to be gaining weight or staying the same. I'm getting very discouraged now and am possibly contemplating surgery. I'm 19 by the way.

I'm not a doctor but I went through a similar experience with anorexia at the same age you are now. Please try to be patient with yourself. I know how hard it is emotionally to gain weight, and for me, once I started eating, it came on quickly but eventually leveled off and dropped back to a normal weight, without me having to restrict too much. I don't know how long you were ill for but starvation can affect your metabolism. Counting calories, without getting too obsessive about it, is actually a good way to make sure not just that you're not eating to much, but to make sure you're eating enough. If you don't see the results coming, give yourself time. For me, I lost a lot of muscle and when I was eating enough, I was able to rebuild that strength, which allowed me to get lots of exercise, which of course helped me feel better.

I hope I'm not being presumptuous by writing this-I know I can only speak from my experience and your situation may be different. Please feel free to add me if you think I might be able to be helpful. I wish you the best in your journey to better health.
  • melaniedsm
    melaniedsm Posts: 55
    Posted on your wall