Only one in family wanting to make the change! HELP.

Options
Hi Everyone,

I have started my journey over and over. My biggest problem is no one else in my household is willing to do the same. I don't think its fair they need to change just because I am over weight. I also don't have the budget to buy 2 separate meals for every meal of the day.

Does anyone else have this issue? How do I get past this, inexpensively.

I am in need of motivation/support and friends!! :)

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I just change what I fill my plate up with. I have a smallish portion of the main entrée when we are having things like spaghetti, casseroles,etc. I also stick to smaller portions of the carb-y sides (not that I cut carbs a lot, it just tends to be higher calorie). Then I fill up my plate with a lot of veggies. I also try to have things like grilled chicken or fish a little more often.
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just change what I fill my plate up with. I have a smallish portion of the main entrée when we are having things like spaghetti, casseroles,etc. I also stick to smaller portions of the carb-y sides (not that I cut carbs a lot, it just tends to be higher calorie). Then I fill up my plate with a lot of veggies. I also try to have things like grilled chicken or fish a little more often.

Same.
  • brieny
    brieny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, I have exactly the same problem
  • nesto610
    nesto610 Posts: 107
    Options
    Hang in there! I don't really have any advice as I am a divorced dad with a 7 year old and I make all of the meal decisions. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to make a change while others around you don't share in your aspirations.

As far as the expense of groceries, I feel your pain. My problem is that groceries seem to be packaged for families and not single people and I end up either throwing half of it away due to spoilage, or I am tempted to "get my money's worth" and eat it ALL!

Feel free to add me if you wish. FR sent
  • MABmom
    MABmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Portion size is really the way to go. I am the main chef in the house so I make sure we always have veggies with dinner so I can load up on that. I try and save calories during the day and really be sensible then so there isn't a huge difference between us at dinner. Plus I can decide if we eat less pizza and more chicken breast with broccoli. My family doesn't seem to mind because it isn't "diet" food at all, we eat regular stuff just less on the lasagna. I always make sure there is protein so no one feels deprived. My husband is big on meat so we eat a lot of lean meats. Plus loading stuff with other flavor, like over loading, helps with less fat, like I use lean ground turkey or beef and put in tons of herbs, garlic, stuff like that when I make burgers. My husband prefers it.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Oh yes families can be a problem, but you can get thru it. The key is just to do portion control. Don't eat the chips and the other snacks family members insist on having in the house. Buy yourself fruit, low fat yogurt, for your own snacks.

Stay away from second helpings, cut your bread intake in half. It works for me.

Eat less, move more.
  • Elizabeth42013
    Elizabeth42013 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. Really doesn't help when I am the one getting home from work late and the husband cooks. I am at his mercy, lol. I try to watch portion sizes, but he does often try to be aware of what I can/can't eat. My problem is snacking, and does NOT help when he brings home chips all the time, or, the other day, a box of gooey cinnamon rolls. REALLY SUCKS.
  • Shutter_bug03
    Shutter_bug03 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm the cook of the house. I do try and add in healthier choices for meals, but if i cook something that isn't so healthy, to please them, i just eat it in moderation and add it in to my log. I have 3 kids, ages 9,7 and 4.....and if i offer them healthier snacks instead of what they think they want, they eat it without complaint. My problem is my husband doesn't give a crap what he eats and he actually gets MAD at me if i don't buy him junk food, which makes it hard for me to avoid. But I've just had to stay strong against that stuff and make healthier choices for ME.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon!

I would love to help you lose the weight. I am a weight loss coach and I use the product Herbalife. It is really easy to use. 2 meal replacement protein shakes a day, 1 meal, and healthy snacks in between. I help you every step of the way. You don't need to exercise but of coarse it will speed up your weight loss process. If your interested email me at: lizthuer (the sign at) hotmail.com

Thanks for your time,

Liz

wow Liz, you have been busy - and you're so kind wanting to help folks out with their weightloss....

...or make money or something
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If you have control over the menu try to pick a few meals a week that are more friendly to your diet, like lean meats and more veggies. I eat what we eat, I am not on something special this is real life and these are changes I will need to live with for the rest of my life. So I take control of ME, I eat a low calorie lunch such as a huge salad, I have salad often with my dinner and not eat too much of things high in calorie, basically I make sure I eat a serving size not a generous serving that is 2 or 3 servings in reality! Eat what is there but control your portions.
  • ChelseyDAdams
    Options
    That's great Herbaliz!!

And I have a magic pill that will make you skinny while eating burgers and fries! Limited time offer, must pay in cash.............. :bigsmile:
  • Reyangi
    Reyangi Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You took the words right out of my mouth!! lol
  • nesto610
    nesto610 Posts: 107
    Options
    That's great Herbaliz!!

And I have a magic pill that will make you skinny while eating burgers and fries! Limited time offer, must pay in cash.............. :bigsmile:

HAHA!!! Chelsey, I would love some of those pills! Where should I send my hard earned money to so I can acquire these magic pills? Please respond quickly so I can get them before your limited offer expires.........:laugh: :laugh:

Hey Herbaliz, who wants to have shakes when all it would take are some pills...?... freaking troll..
  • Reyangi
    Reyangi Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As far as the family thing. I went through the same thing over and over again until the "skinny" people in my house finally decided to be a little more supportive. They love you and if you make them see how important it is for you and for them that you be healthy they'll make adjustments. I basically cook a healthy meal of meat and veggies then add a starch for them. I stay away from most starches but it makes them not feel so deprived and if you cook the meat and veggies with lots of flavor it should make the transition a little easier for them. And don't feel like you're making them suffer because you're overweight. In the long run, a healthier diet will benefit them as well. Hang in there.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I started shopping cheap so that I could afford both my food and my spouse could get theirs. A lot of focused ethnic stores are stupid cheap. Click my profile now for a free webinar and links to my budgetary shopping books! :)
  • halfpintpeggy
    halfpintpeggy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    SPAMMER
    Good Afternoon!

I would love to help you lose the weight. I am a weight loss coach and I use the product Herbalife. It is really easy to use. 2 meal replacement protein shakes a day, 1 meal, and healthy snacks in between. I help you every step of the way. You don't need to exercise but of coarse it will speed up your weight loss process. If your interested email me at: lizthuer (the sign at) hotmail.com

Thanks for your time,

Liz
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    SPAMMER
    Good Afternoon!

Thanks for your time,

Liz

Of COARSE she is.
  • Savannah1204
    Savannah1204 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thank you all soooo much! I cannot believe the support on here. With all this I may actually succeed this time! Minus the magic protein shakes and pills!! hahaha.

Portion size seems like something I can really try! My family too, NEEDS (think they need) to have the junk food in the house. The temptations are always going to be there, I just need to keep focused!

I finally got my garden in, I'm hoping to get my boyfriends 11yr old son interested in getting to pick his own veggies. Then maybe I can sneak in more healthy options!
  • AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
    Options
    I'm in the same boat all those the two other adults in the house do need to change too. But that's not my choice...

As for meals I don't always have different stuff than them. Most of the time I just eat more veggies or don't add more cals with butter, dressings and things like that. I do buy most of the food that comes in the house. So I try to make healthy choices for all of us. I don't eat "diet" food. I'm not on a diet. I'm trying to change my life habits forever! And since it's summer we have been grilling a lot. Now when the kids have hotdogs I have a turkey burger on skinny bread instead of a bun. Little things like that don't make my food bill much more. I may spend like $20 more a week on substitutes for me. But most of the time we eat the same things. I just eat more greens and less of the extra stuff.

I struggle with the constant snacking the other adults in my house do or the pizza they order or whatever. Drives me crazy! But it's not their probably it drives me crazy. So I try to distract myself with music and other stuff that I enjoy that doesn't have to do with food. I also vent on my profile here and try to distract myself with the success stories on here. You can add me if you want to.
  • ChelseyDAdams
    Options
    That's great Herbaliz!!

HAHA!!! Chelsey, I would love some of those pills! Where should I send my hard earned money to so I can acquire these magic pills? Please respond quickly so I can get them before your limited offer expires.........:laugh: :laugh:

Hey Herbaliz, who wants to have shakes when all it would take are some pills...?... freaking troll..

I'm glad you see the light!! Miracle weight-loss is the only way to go. Hey, after you buy these pills from me, I have a Persian prince who wants to sign you over his entire estate if you'll only send him $2,000!!

:drinker: :bigsmile: