Am I eating too little?

Options
I don't eat a lot, I know technically it's too little but It seems healthy to me... This is what I ate today:

Breakfast (7 am): 2 egg whites (50 cal), 1/3 avocado (77 cal) on a piece of toast (45 cal) and half a cup of 2% milk (61 cal)

Snack (10 am): 1 medium banana (105 cal)

Lunch (1 pm): Protein shake (100 cal), 2 cups of kale (36 cal) with a cup of strawberries (53 cal)

Snack (5 pm): 2/3 cup of 2% cottage cheese (130 cal) and 5 almonds (29 cal)

Dinner (8 pm): 2 egg whites (50 cal), a multivitamin (0 cal) and an Emergen-C packet (20 cal)

This comes to a total of 756 calories...
70g of protein, 83g of carbs, and 19g of fat. People always tell me I eat healthy so I don't know who to listen to, any advice? Should I just eat some ice cream? hahaha I wish...

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes you are eating too little.
  • AnnJoyLee
    AnnJoyLee Posts: 4
    Options
    I think that calorie-wise that is a bit too little. You may loose weight rapidly, but then eventually you will hit a weight loss plateau and begin gaining weight. Believe me, I learnt this the hard way.
  • Flipomaniak
    Options
    ok... What do I do though? My meals seem normal to me, I'm eating every few hours and eating snacks, not skipping meals, etc...
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Now eat double of that and you'll be good to go.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options

This ^^
  • Omsy828
    Omsy828 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Why are your lunch and dinners smaller than your snacks!
  • AnnJoyLee
    AnnJoyLee Posts: 4
    Options
    double that and you'd basically have a normal calorie load. Try to keep above 1200, calories.
  • Flipomaniak
    Options
    I'm not usually hungry at night/morning so my snacks seem to be bigger...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you doubled it then it would be healthy.

Healthy isn't just about food selection. It's about eating an appropriate number of calories. It's about getting enough protein and fat. It's about hitting your micronutrients. Without all those things all the kale and egg whites in the world still won't be healthy.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Short answer: yes. How to improve? Maybe if you had 50 almonds. And a whole avocado. And a full cup (or two!) of milk. And maybe keep some of those egg yolks.
  • riness78
    riness78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the exact problem. I do my best to eat more but never seem to be able to meet my calorie needs since I don't really have much of an appetite. I'm scared that it might backfire, since i'm trying to gain more muscle and tone up. I eat at least 1200 but my recommendation is 1800. Any tips on how I can increase my calorie intake? Or do you think I will be able to gain muscle with my 1200 calorie diet?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    If you doubled it then it would be healthy.

Healthy isn't just about food selection. It's about eating an appropriate number of calories. It's about getting enough protein and fat. It's about hitting your micronutrients. Without all those things all the kale and egg whites in the world still won't be healthy.

This is what I was thinking but could not articulate.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Start by eating the whole eggs, not just the whites. Don't be scared of fats. You need them.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Why such a limited menu?
    Can I ask what your plan is when you get to goal weight?
    There is no need to eat nothing but egg whites to lose weight. Your "diet" is setting yourself up for failure in so many ways. Eating like that for any length of time is not going to be easy but even if you do manage to do it long enough to reach your goal, how will you transistion to maintainance. Do you plan to eat this way forever? How will you deal with holidays, family gatherings, etc?

I highly suggest reading this thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?

And for the love of God, please eat the yolk. Most of the nutrition of the egg is in there. With the calorie intake you are at, you can afford to.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I have the exact problem. I do my best to eat more but never seem to be able to meet my calorie needs since I don't really have much of an appetite. I'm scared that it might backfire, since i'm trying to gain more muscle and tone up. I eat at least 1200 but my recommendation is 1800. Any tips on how I can increase my calorie intake? Or do you think I will be able to gain muscle with my 1200 calorie diet?

You will not gain muscle while eating at a calorie deficiency and certainly not on 1200 calories day. You either eat at a calorie deficiency with strength training to lose weight and preserve lean muscle tissue or eat at a calorie surplus, lift heavy weights, and gain muscle.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    where are your veggies, good fats, grains,proteins other than egg whites. OMG eat the yolks they are good for you .
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you can't fathom eating more volume, try eating more caloricly dense foods- olive oil, avocado, nuts, ect. But you should definitely up your calories. To lose weight/gain muscle, one must properly fuel their body. Look up your BMR to get an estimate of what you should eat based on your measurements. Good luck
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    where are your veggies, good fats, grains,proteins other than egg whites. OMG eat the yolks they are good for you .

^THIS
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot, I know technically it's too little but It seems healthy to me... This is what I ate today:

Breakfast (7 am): 2 egg whites (50 cal), 1/3 avocado (77 cal) on a piece of toast (45 cal) and half a cup of 2% milk (61 cal)

Snack (10 am): 1 medium banana (105 cal)

Lunch (1 pm): Protein shake (100 cal), 2 cups of kale (36 cal) with a cup of strawberries (53 cal)

Snack (5 pm): 2/3 cup of 2% cottage cheese (130 cal) and 5 almonds (29 cal)

Dinner (8 pm): 2 egg whites (50 cal), a multivitamin (0 cal) and an Emergen-C packet (20 cal)

This comes to a total of 756 calories...
    70g of protein, 83g of carbs, and 19g of fat. People always tell me I eat healthy so I don't know who to listen to, any advice? Should I just eat some ice cream? hahaha I wish...
    I think the minimum amount of calories is 1200. I would suggest adding a string cheese to your morning snack and even a handful of almonds. The two egg whites for dinner is probably another change. What about adding some fruit and toast, or a veggie? Do you feel hungry?
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Winner winner chicken dinner