Running your first Mud Run this year?

Options
124»

Replies

• moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first ever Spartan in less than a month! I'm super excited but also freaking out inside. I'm terrified I wont be able to complete any of the obstacles (like climbing rope, 7 foot wall climb, ect...) I've been trying to train my upper body and grip for it but I'm not really making much progress. arg!

It's easy to freak myself out but I AM really excited. :)
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    - What race(s) are you running?

Warrior Dash a week from Saturday. What started out as a fun thing to try with two friends had grown to a team of at least six. Excited and nervous at the same time.

- What are your concerns?

Obstacles requiring holding my weight with my arms. I can't can't do a pull-up yet so any obstacle requiring 100% of my weight on my arms will be an issue. Also protecting my knees while on the ground. Any time I'm on the ground crawling my knees bruise up. I'm planning to wear knee pads to help with this. Wondering how to keep them on through the mud.

- And what are you doing for training?

Cardio is in pretty good shape since I've been running/jogging. I've done a handful of 5ks so I'm not to worried about that. I've also been lifting weights regularly. I would like to have more strength but don't have much time left for training now.
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Rugged Maniac in July. I had never run before a few months ago, so I've done Couch to 5K, and can now run about 2 miles, but at a slow pace, so I'm nervous about the running portion. Actually, I'm a little worried about the strength portion as well, although I've been doing lots of strength training, as well as squats and lunges. I still can't do a pull-up, but I started using the assisted pullup machine at the gym.

Nerves are setting in as this draws nearer, but I'm also really excited!! I was always unathletic, and my gym teacher in grammar school even used to tease me and tell everyone to move in when I got up to bat. And I always got picked last for teams. I feel like I'm finally going to be able to prove myself as an athlete!
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I did 3 last year. Signed up for 3 so far this summer - Spartan Race, Merrell Down and Dirty, and Hit and Run. Probably will do one or two in the fall also.

Have to up my running a little. Planning to mainly do intervals of say 1/4 mile runs in between walking as far as training for first one I have coming up in a few weeks. Along with lifting that is.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Ruby, don't worry about the running, except for the elites and those who are really pushing themselves a lot of people do a lot of walking. Go out there to give everything an attempt and have fun!!! One of my biggest pet peeves in OCR are people who simply skip obstacles, rather than giving them a go.

Sculli, I would increase running to at least half a mile, if not a mile. The cardio endurance will only help you with the course.

I had an excellent run/walk at True Grit, I teamed up with some other volly's and didn't run all the course, conquered all the obstacles although not as well as I would have liked (Love to have room for improvement)
    I would love my next race to be next weekend, but the budget isn't allowing for that, so my next is a Spartan Super & Sprint on the same day!!! I'm gonna be trashed, not much different from running a Spartan Beast. At least I'll know what to expect for my Beast/Ultra Beast later this year if I get there.
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    Ruby, you got this. :)

Taeliesyn, where are you running the super and sprint on the same day at?
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Perth, Western Australia.
    Originally was going to be Super on Saturday & Sprint on Sunday, but there wasn't enough interest to make a 2 day even viable, so they are giving people both options on the same day. With the choice of doing both if your a bit loopy like me.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

Sculli, I would increase running to at least half a mile, if not a mile. The cardio endurance will only help you with the course.
    I think I'm good. I ran / walked 5 miles yesterday after doing legs. Wasn't too bad actually except my feet got blistered (didn't wear socks like an idiot). lol