Too much fruit?

Options
Is there something such as eating too much fruit?? If I use the APP, I can easily reach 200g carbs with an overload of sugar, but it's almost all coming from the fruits I eat.

I don't want to lose weight, just get leaner (to about 14-15% bodyfat).

(118lbs/5'7/around 18-20% bodyfat)

Replies

• fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    In terms of fat loss, it definitely helped to lower my fruit intake. I would also try to eat most of my fruit at breakfast instead of late at night.
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Take it from me, you can eat 100% fruit and still get lean. Its not the fruit thats the problem, its all the *kitten* that comes with it ;-)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Is there something such as eating too much fruit??

No

The sugar threshold in MFP is pretty crude, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit & it's never impacted on my goals, however, I still eat a good amount of proteins & fats along with the carbs!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Is there something such as eating too much fruit?? If I use the APP, I can easily reach 200g carbs with an overload of sugar, but it's almost all coming from the fruits I eat.

YES; fructose cannot be eaten in excess. Fruit is glucose and fructose. Some fruits have more fructose than others. Fructose is not metabolized the same as glucose.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Yes you can eat too much fruit, some fruit is high in calories and eat enough you will spill over on your calorie target.

People can gain weight eating any type of food (if they eat in a surplus).
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit, too! So don't worry. Fruits and vegetables are perfectly fine.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    If you want to get leaner you have to eat at a calorie deficit. Too much fruit is only a potential problem if it comes at the expense of hitting your protein and fat macros.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

YES; fructose cannot be eaten in excess. Fruit is glucose and fructose. Some fruits have more fructose than others. Fructose is not metabolized the same as glucose.

Joanne Moniz

Nonsense...
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    That's a fairly low body fat percentage goal, going from your previous posts you are not into body building or an athlete is there any reason you are aiming so low?

Edited to add: your profile tracker indicates you have a goal weight of 110lb, that is fairly low for someone your height and would give you a BMI of only 17 which would put you in the underweight range from your height.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My first two meals of the day are usually fruit. A full meals worth of calories each sitting. I have not had any weight gain and my bf% went down .4% in the last month, without vigorous exercise (still healing from an injury).

There are many diets that work. If you enjoy fruit, include that in your meal plan. The recommendations that MFP gives are for added sugars, I don't worry about naturally occurring ones.

For body composition changes, diet is a key element but it needs resistance training too.

Have a fruitastic day!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz

Utter Nonsense!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Yes!

depends on your goals, and how much fruit!

I don't track my sugar, i found MFP has it set crazy low!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

Yes you can eat too much fruit, some fruit is high in calories and eat enough you will spill over on your calorie target.

People can gain weight eating any type of food (if they eat in a surplus).

I see what you did there :wink: