How far is too far

Options
First-I need to comment that I know in my soul that I am not there however I am not sure if I would know how far is too far with my health journey.

I am getting close to my goal (5-8 pounds) and it has taken me about a year. My max weight, which is not logged here because I never tracked or even really weighed myself then was around 195ish (the highest weight I remember seeing). I am down about 40 pounds which I know is not much compared to many on this site.

In January, I started including a gym routine that I love 5-6 days a week and have seen results that are measureable (inches, etc.).
I am now hearing comments and concern for my health and safety. My current weight is the in 150s-not all that low. Apparently my face is starting to look hard. I eat really clean by following the paleo diet-which I also love.

When should I start to be aware of too far....

Replies

• AprilJane1522
    Options
    Know one on here can really tell you for sure but if you are very concerned you can speak to a doctor and see what they have to say.

At the end of the day as long as your happy and healthy then don't worry to hard about others. Some people just have narrow faces and the change when losing weight can be a bit shocking.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    As long as you are in a healthy weight range and are happy with what you see then you are fine. I think people get so used to seeing you bigger that it is a bit of shock at first when they see you slimmer, especially if they don't see you everyday.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

At 5'5" and 150Ibs I'm still classed as overweight. I mean, that's using BMI which isn't great but it's a decent enough guideline if you're fairly average.

You can find some ideal weight calculators online that will give you a guide weight/BMI. Just bear in mind the restrictions of BMI (e.g. doesn't account for large amounts of muscle mass etc).

I think a lot of responses from people register the shock of the change in people, so be aware there's probably a degree of that.

Additionally, a lot of the components of ED's (which I assume is what you're worried about other people worrying about) are psychological....that never ending drive for "perfection", the obsessive nature of food logging/getting things just so etc. BMI of these patients is just another diagnostic thing.

Like the above poster - go to the doc if you're concerned but so long as you feel like you have decent control, aren't being ruled by your dieting and are happy with your results you're probably ok.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?
  • One_Last_Time
    Options
    If your BMI is close to underweight and you still want to lose, it's to far. IMO.
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    OP would have to be very tall indeed for a weight in the 150s to be below a healthy BMI.

I'm 5'7" and still 9lbs away from having a healthy BMI, and already I'm getting this from the in-laws. Sometimes if people are used to seeing you overweight, they just see the loss and not the actual end product, and it looks like a lot/too much to them. I always think if they met me for the first time, would their reaction be 'she's too thin'? I don't think so!

That said, I have a large frame and am quite muscular, so I don't expect I will need to go too far into the 'healthy' range to achieve a healthy-looking physique. If OP is similar then it might be nearly time to stop, but that's ultimately OP's choice so long as she's healthy.
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding. I am 5'7-5'8ish... My BMI hit healthy within the last two weeks. I am a big boned girl and what I mean by that is even my wrist at its smallest point needs extra for fit. I cannot wear stretchy bracelets even now at 157.

I do not think I have an ED but continue to be shocked at the almost daily response from friends, family, and work colleagues. Some that I have seen everyday. I have been on this journey since September and now they are noticing (which is fine) however it is beyond me how comments are under handed and even cruel.

My first big/major goal is 150 to get healthy but my real goal is 135ish and the friends and family are verbalizing concerns about my weight now.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I guess it's just the change in your appearance. I get those comments too and I've just crossed the line overveight-healthy.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    As long as you're healthy that is completely up to you. People started telling me to stop losing weight because I "look sick" for 20 pounds now lol
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    You can ignore those people or be snarky with them, but remember that they are incorrect about your having lost too much weight. My hypothesis is that people didn't lose weight on purpose 10000 years ago, so if you're losing weight, the evolved response is to check to see if the person losing weight is hurt or sick.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I have gone through the same BS! My family, friends, etc. All overly concerned with my weight loss. I have heard it all with even my own mother telling me I look like I have Aids! Can you believe that? Anyway... as long as you are fit and healthy and going about your weight loss the right way, it's of no consequence to you what others think or say.

What struck me as funny was when one of my friends, who is quite obese, started sharing her concerns basically telling me I was anorexic and would most likely die in the night due to malnutrition. Talk about harsh!

I just smiled and kept assuring folks that I knew what I was doing. Tearing it down to re-sculpt my body, that it is a process and they should basically shut up until I get to my goal and final results. Recently I hit one of my goals and started a new path to really tone and sculpt my body and even put a few pounds back on so that my body would have something to work with (building up again). Now most of those naysayers who were overly concerned are pretty amazed at the results.

My thoughts were that I would have preferred trust in my process and ability vs. concerns about organ failure in my future!

Really!

Just ignore them. Most of the time folks hide their jealousy with concern. Not in all cases, but some cases...
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    everyone goes through this. im still over 200 lbs and i hear that crap all the time, people just arent used to seeing you that way. i guarantee there is quite a few people that your friends know that have lower bf% than you yet they wont say a thing to them because they arent gaining or losing weight. just ignore it and keep trekking, but do be conscious about the potential to become underweight
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what others say. I'm 5'8" and got down to 135. When I hit the 140s people kept saying I had to stop. I had one asking if I knew what my healthy weight was and I said yes I wasn't there yet. I wasn't at the time. I have learned I.have a small frame.

Ignore what people say and go with what you feel is right. If you want to lose more.then do it. If you are happy where you are stay there.

People are used to you one way, they will get used to the new you as well. Just keep firm.in your convictions.
  • awomaninsane
    awomaninsane Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think how far is too far will be different for everyone. For me it would be if i felt the need to constanty lower my calorie intake (which is never going to happen cos i love my food!)

I know how you feel about the comments though. A woman at work asked me if i had lost more weight recently and i proudly acknowledged that i had, feeling chuffed that my weeks of hard work were noticeable to others. Her response? "Don't lose any more or you'll start to look gaunt." I wonder, if i had gained a lot of weight, if she would have said, "Don't put any more on or you'll look really fat"?

As someone else said to me, ignore the haters, they're only jealous.
  • RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Do what you love and ignore the naysayers.

If that is not working, make new supportive and inspirational friends ;)