How often should you work out?

Options
Hello everyone - newbie here
*waves*
I expect this has been asked before but I could not find the relevant thread. I have just started working out at my local gym (cardio only, no weights yet). I was wondering whether it is OK to train every day, even if your muscles feel tired, or whether it is best to alternate on and off days (with maybe swimming or walking on the off day). Currently feeling all fired up and keen, but I don't want to overdo it too early and burn out. Then again...I don't want to become complacent either and I do find that having a daily routine helps. You thoughts please.....

Thanks in advance

Cathy x

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If you want to train every day, then there is nothing wrong with that as long as you have some variety in your plan; run, cycle, swim, resistance training.

The main thing as a new starter is not to over-tire yourself so it can be worth planning one or two rest days per week, as opposed to just taking an ad hoc rest day when you're tired.

I would suggest building some resistance training in now, as it's complementary to CV work.

When I started training more seriously I was running 3 days per week and swimming or cycling three days per week. Now I run 4-5 times per week, cycle or swim once or twice and do a couple of resistance training sessions. I usually have one rest day per week, although in part that's driven by diary considerations as it's near impossible to fit a session in on that day.
  • Cathalicios
    Cathalicios Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @MeanderingMam

Thank you so much for your reply.

I think I agree with you that variety is key and I shall be taking that advice on board and mixing it up a little. I also like the idea of "planned" rest days rather than "OMG I can't be bothered" rest days. I currently take Sundays off but I may add in a mid week rest day as well.

I am not really sure where to start with the resistance training, but I guess my local gym instructor can give me some pointers. Right now I am mainly focused on calorie burning to get rid of some of my flab, but I don't want to get all saggy so I shall see about adding some weights next week.

Congrats on your progress, you sound very fit indeed! Good luck with your running, do you run competitively or just for pleasure?
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    5-6 days a week is great, and I would alternate workouts. IOW, I don't like doing the same workout 2 days in a row. But that doesn;t mean you can't vary your activity. If you run, do a flat road for a longer distance one day, and do hills in sprints the next or something like that.

Congratulations on your new life =) Go kick some butt.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Depends on how heavy you're going. I used to do more than I do now on my off days (biking still gets me to work, etc) but I started pulling back on the stick for those off days when I realized I was packing on a good three to five pounds of water weight for part of a week after a long ride and why.
  • lauranelson779
    lauranelson779 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert myself. I worked up to working out more. When I started I walked 40 min 5 days a week (on my lunch break). When I wasn't seeing results that I hoped for I bumped it up to 80 min total (20 before work, 40 lunch, 20 after). Gradually I'm adding more things. I took up women's casual soccer and roller blading. The gym closest to us is 40 minutes away so I am doing what works for my and my family. Now my schedule looks like this...
    Sat swim for an hour during kids swim lessons
    Sunday roller blade while pushing kids in stroller for resistance
    Monday walk for 80 min
    Tues soccer for an hour
    Wednesday roller blade with kids
    Thurs I play kids soccer with my son then have my own after
    Friday rest day

So I work out most days I work out but it's different muscles every time. Let me tell you, today is Friday and I am hurting from the soccer, roller blade, and soccer. I may have to switch out to rollerblading.
  • Cathalicios
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input - gosh, what an active lot you are!

I went to the gym today and spoke to the on site fitness instructor. He spent over an hour with me working out a program that involves both cardio and weights and suggested that I alternate gym days with swim days, so I shall be doing 3 days a week of each (with Sunday off for good behaviour).

I am very inspired by all the different activities the people on here do - especially the roller blading which sounds like great fun! (though possibly murder on the ankles). I have to say that I have never really enjoyed running - I am a little too...ummmm...."bouncy" for such activities.

I would love to get back into kick boxing again, however, as that was something I very much enjoyed when I was younger. Sadly my fitness levels are not high enough for that yet. But in a few months....who knows?

Thanks again for sharing your advice and inspiration - I wish you all good luck on your personal journeys x
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Why "no weights yet"? (please dont' say you think you'll bulk up :frown: )

There's no reason you can't incorporate strength training from the very beginning....it helps build lean muscle faster, which burns more fat!

To answer your question...do as much as you can, but be careful not to burn yourself out too quickly. Some people set unsustainable workout schedules for themselves, then get tired and give up.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I do strength training 3 days a week in a circuit format. Beyond that I will intermittently jump rope for 10-15 minute sessions if and when I feel like it, not following any set schedule.
  • ldarlener
    ldarlener Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread. I always wonder what to do.
    I started just counting calories and doing my elliptical at least 3 times a week.
    I lost 30 lbs. But after being sick and a lot of stuff happening, a little crept back on.
    I'm 54 with poor joints in knees and ankles.
    I have had shoulder surgery.
    I want to do strength now, but not a clue how to start.
    I am considering paying for 4 private sessions with a trainer at the Y.
  • Cathalicios
    Options
    Why "no weights yet"? (please dont' say you think you'll bulk up :frown: )
  • Cathalicios
    Options
    I was unable to use the weight machines as I was unfamiliar with them and did not wish to cause myself an injury. Happily my gym offers a free induction service from a qualified fitness instructor who showed me how to use them safely. I think the weight machines can be a bit daunting if you have not used them before.

@ldarlener: I hope you find someone not too expensive who can show you how to train safely - good luck with your continued journey x
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I was unable to use the weight machines as I was unfamiliar with them and did not wish to cause myself an injury. Happily my gym offers a free induction service from a qualified fitness instructor who showed me how to use them safely. I think the weight machines can be a bit daunting if you have not used them before.
    oh good....and glad you're taking advantage of that. I do agree about it being daunting, and nobody wants to end up on youtube because they did something terrible wrong and made a fool out of themselves! A lot of women tend to think they're going to get huge if they lift some dumbells though....:laugh:
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Train 24/7 constantly.

Only way.
  • Cathalicios
    Options
    A lot of women tend to think they're going to get huge if they lift some dumbells though....:laugh:

lol - well I am huge now - hopefully the dumbells will help get me smaller ;P