You can't buy 10% body fat with a credit card...

Options
Our culture seems stuck in a mentality where were don't need to save up for something we really want. We just pull out the credit card and get what we want NOW. I'm generalizing, I know, but I think it's safe to say that a lot of Americans think this way.

I've been treating my fitness this way. I want to be 10% body fat RIGHT NOW. It's very hard for me to remember this is something I'm investing in, and slowly saving up for. Every day I'm losing a tiny bit of fat, but it's hard to see the end goal. It's going to come. Some day I will be the little kid who saved up his allowance for a year to buy that shiny new bicycle. I just need to be patient. There's no miracle "credit card" for fitness.

Replies

• GunterRose
    GunterRose Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love the way you put this! I know the feeling. "I ate healthy today, why haven't I lost all the weight?!" But I know it is long term, life long change that will end up with the best results. I wish it was as easy as having a % of my paycheck diverted to a savings account though!
  • vickish76
    vickish76 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this... You're right!
  • curvycavelady
    Options
    Love this! I really struggle with instant gratification, which is why treating myself with food instead of waiting until I can relax for self care has ended me up where I am, 100 pounds overweight (not to mention loads of credit card debt). Thanks for the awesome insight!
  • eversmj
    eversmj Posts: 40
    Options
    Great attitude. Being successful at something that's difficult has positive impact on all areas of your life.
  • mucirl
    mucirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is sooo true . I have spent a fortune on every sort of diet hoping for a quicker result but slow and surely is the only way to loose weight and I can pay no one ( unfortunately :wink: ) to do it for me.

I hope I have enough patience and will power to get to a healthy weight and then the strength to maintain it .

Perhaps it would have been better if I had saved for the nice shiny bike and not spent all the money on penny sweets ( yes I am that old)
  • amyj514
    amyj514 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Exactly! And instant gratification is never as satisfying as something you've worked hard for!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    agreed. i find that people try and buy better results, especially in the sport of triathlon. i've passed many people riding their $5,000 triathlon bike on my discount fuji road bike.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    That is my problem with my mother, she tells me that I still look fat, that she does not believe me or the scale and instead to get this pill or that diet, this company or even a gastric bypass, she's been doing this since I was a kid and it knocks me down since I am really trying to do this the right way. :frown:
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    That is my problem with my mother, she tells me that I still look fat, that she does not believe me or the scale and instead to get this pill or that diet, this company or even a gastric bypass, she's been doing this since I was a kid and it knocks me down since I am really trying to do this the right way. :frown:

Just like when you used to be a kid and your parents wouldn't give you money because they thought you would have wasted them... to keep the comparision used by the OP. That's why you grow up and become independent, both economically and mentall y :bigsmile: but you already look awesome! Don't let anyone put you down, even if it's a long process it's all going to be worth it!
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Good post. It's true, and evident when I looked on Groupon for some fun things to do (paintball, go karts, etc) and easily half the deals are this kind of injection or that kind of electric treatment to get rid of fat. Heck you walk into GNC even and a lot of products are loaded with stimulants just designed to make you burn fat or increase your metabolism like you can pop a pill every day and suddenly you'll be fit. I don't think any of this stuff is healthy, and it's pointless anyway. Even if there was a magic injection that would make your fat go away, it's all just going to come back if you haven't made a lifestyle change.
  • perfectlytrained
    perfectlytrained Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    absolutely agree... it can be discouraging in the immediate sense when an absolutely on target day doesn't manifest itself into a magically slimmer/more fit me...that's why I take monthly photos for progress reports. Day to day, I see little change in my body as I keep on keeping on with my lifestyle change, but when I do my monthly comparison photos I am always thrilled with my progress.

thumbs up to you :)
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Such a great post.

I've eaten well for days and even got some exercise. Why am I still fat? :sad:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Anything that's worthwhile having, takes time and effort to achieve.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Very true. Every day I have to remind myself. This isn't a DIET, it is a LIFESTYLE change, and it's not going to happen overnight.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could pull out a credit card to pay for Lipo-Suction.
  • helenarriaza
    Options
    Such a great post.

I've eaten well for days and even got some exercise. Why am I still fat? :sad:

My thoughts every morning before coming into this site.
  • helenarriaza
    Options
    I suppose you could pull out a credit card to pay for Lipo-Suction.

My mum actually said this to me, but having high blood pressure, prediabetes and others at 24 is kind of a wake up call.

You could be thin with liposuction but it won't do you any good if your body is still sick from carrying 285 pounds, your veins are clogged, your sugar spiked and your breathing heavy.

Why lose only the shell when you can be brand new again?
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I love this post. Thank you. :)