Substitute for margarine/butter?

124»

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    To Ang108:
    I've heard over the years that you shouldn't eat butter if you are trying to lose weight, and that margarine is healthier, and I guess it stuck with me.
    Thanks to the replies on this topic, though, I'm learning that the opposite is true. :laugh:
    And I suppose it would be good to start eliminating some foods and clean up my diet. Margarine/butter is the first baby step.

Edited because for some reason the reply function didn't work?
    OP, to make your post stand out in the little box, I hit quote, not reply.

As for butter, there's nothing wrong with it. When I clean up fats, I remove margarine and move back to butter, where I should have stayed all the time. Butter contains good stuff.
  • I use hummus instead of butter.

I am not against butter at all, but I tried a dairy free diet a couple of months ago (for a month), just to see if my body has any issues with dairy, and have gotten used to putting hummus on my toast instead of butter.

When I went back to eating dairy, I did not like butter on my toast anymore :)
    Hummus with smoked salmon is delicious!!!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    I Can't Believe its Not Butter (spray)

zero calories, zero fat, all the taste IMO
    It's not zero calorie, it's less than 5 calories, so they can put 0 on the label legally. And it's per spray. I doubt many people eat one single spray.

ETA: I'd keep the butter, it's plenty healthy.

oh, really? I was not aware... Well, even if it is 5 cals per spray, you dont need a lot. It will make your toast soggy if you use too much spray

Just curious, how do you know its less than 5 calories?

The FDA does not require any product that is 5 calories or less per serving to put any calories on the nutrition label. Other foods that are less than 5 calories that are reported as zerie calorie include coffee and pickles. Although, you're not likely to drink 50 cups of coffee like you could squirt 50 sprays of butter substitute.

oh trust me, 3 sprays and the toast is buttered. But again, how did you find out its less than 5 cals? Im really very curious on to find out this information.

Read this, scroll all the way down to N7:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064894.htm
    N7. When the caloric value for a serving of a food is less than 5 calories, can the actual caloric value be declared?

Answer: The caloric value of a product containing less than 5 calories may be expressed as zero or to the nearest 5 calorie increment (i.e., zero or 5 depending on the level). Foods with less than 5 calories meet the definition of “calorie free” and any differences are dietarily insignificant. 21 CFR 101.9(c)(1)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Butter
    marmite
    peanut butter (or almond, or hazelnut.....)
    Pumkin seed butter
    humous
    Cheese wedge
    jam or marmalade
    cottage cheese
    guacamole
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    If you put olive oil in the fridge it will become solid and can be used as a spread. You can add herbs or garlic, if you like.

Peanut butter is delicious on toast. So is a little jelly or honey.

Oh, snap! I do that!!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

It's not zero calorie, it's less than 5 calories, so they can put 0 on the label legally. And it's per spray. I doubt many people eat one single spray.

oh, really? I was not aware... Well, even if it is 5 cals per spray, you dont need a lot. It will make your toast soggy if you use too much spray

Just curious, how do you know its less than 5 calories?

The FDA does not require any product that is 5 calories or less per serving to put any calories on the nutrition label. Other foods that are less than 5 calories that are reported as zerie calorie include coffee and pickles. Although, you're not likely to drink 50 cups of coffee like you could squirt 50 sprays of butter substitute.

oh trust me, 3 sprays and the toast is buttered. But again, how did you find out its less than 5 cals? Im really very curious on to find out this information.

Read this, scroll all the way down to N7:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064894.htm
    N7. When the caloric value for a serving of a food is less than 5 calories, can the actual caloric value be declared?

Answer: The caloric value of a product containing less than 5 calories may be expressed as zero or to the nearest 5 calorie increment (i.e., zero or 5 depending on the level). Foods with less than 5 calories meet the definition of “calorie free” and any differences are dietarily insignificant. 21 CFR 101.9(c)(1)
    ^Yup. As for knowing if a food has calories or not, just assume if it's made for human consumption it'll have calories. For the most part, it's not going to add up to that much to throw off your calorie counts. But I have heard people using Pam spray and just holding down the nozzle until they get about a tbsp worth. It's oil, it has the same calories as oil. The only reason it's so low is the incredibly small serving size due to being turned into a mist.

Just be smart about how you use things like that and don't be unreasonable. Your 3 sprays of ICBINB is at most 12 calories, so I think you're good. 30 sprays, and you might have a problem...
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    I choose butter and coconut oil. I never use margarine. Coconut oil melts just like butter and it so good for you!
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Isn't toast meant to be buttered? :-o Just weigh out your portion and make sure your butter is soft so it spreads easier! I try to eat real food so stay far away from margarine. I say kick that ish to the curb and use buttah! :-)
  • shawtcake
    shawtcake Posts: 1 Member
    coconut oil tastes really good or zero calorie spray butter "I cant believe its not butter" is my fav
  • jar819
    jar819 Posts: 45 Member
    Earth balance...vegan spread...soy free...very tasty
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Toasted sandwich thins with real butter and a little orange marmalade. Delicious.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Yep, get some organic or grass-fed butter, almond butter, or coconut butter. Real butter is delicious (unless you grew up with margarine and your tastebuds are weird), and if you get it from grass-fed cows, you can reassure yourself that you're getting extra Omega-3 fatty acids, beta carotene, and Vitamin K2 (which helps regulate how your calcium is used and deposited). Almond or coconut butter are also tasty and full of good fats :) Adding them to your toast might help keep you full for longer, so you'll be more satisfied overall.

This ^

Organic Butter!!

yep this
  • Heatherybit
    Heatherybit Posts: 91 Member

Not for argument for clarity, it's 5 sprays or 1 gram per serving is "zero" calories as in less than 5.

http://www.icantbelieveitsnotbutter.com/product/detail/129811/i-can-t-believe-it-s-not-butter-original-butter-spray