Personal Trainers... Sheesh

Options
Anyone have a bad personal trainer experience?

I workout at a popular gym and there is a personal trainer there that gives his resume every five minutes. You can overhear him throughout the workout area over-explaining to his trainees (and everyone else) how much workout experience he's had, body- building competitions he's won etc. Now, I'll admit- he has done his work. He is pretty built and has the best job on the planet (it seems he spends all day making attractive women do burpees and checking his smart phone). But I could probably recite word for word the number of years he's been working out, how many competitions he's won, what degrees he's earned etc.

He's not a bad guy, I've talked shop with him- but I've got to wonder: is he bragging? or reassuring himself and everyone else that he's the best personal trainer on the planet? Is he spamming for new clients by letting everyone know how awesome he is?

Maybe he's really that good and I should be honored to share the same gym with him.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    That sounds very obnoxious. Is he employed by the gym, or a member who is using that setting to get new business? I don't know much about gym etiquette but if it's the latter, I'd imagine the gym management would not be all that thrilled.

I know there are some amazing personal trainers out there, but honestly that job title sounds sketchy to me because it's one of those things I'm sure any rando person with workout experience could claim to be (sans training or other qualifications). Again, I have no personal experience though! Most people I know who employ personal trainers are the types who are not committed to getting fit or changing their lifestyle and they wind up stopping after 3-4 sessions.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    As a PT myself, I've worked where other PT's are more impressed with themselves rather than focusing on the client. The key thing though is are the clients getting results? If not, then he's just a mouthpiece. Bragging to an extent is okay. Men do it in sports all the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • eversmj
    eversmj Posts: 40
    Options
    Sounds annoying, but he's just background noise. Do your thing. And look on the bright side, at least he's not one of those guys who comes up to you mid-set with some awesome advice like "Hey bro, did you know squatting is bad for your knees?"
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sounds annoying, but he's just background noise. Do your thing. And look on the bright side, at least he's not one of those guys who comes up to you mid-set with some awesome advice like "Hey bro, did you know squatting is bad for your knees?"

Actually, he does do that! His first conversation with me went like this:

"You move less of the rest of your body- it will make you concentrate on the muscle better."

While I was doing combo-exercises with resistance bands- that are intended to use more than just "the muscle you are trying to work out" because they work multiple muscle groups. My response:

"I know what I'm doing. If I want help, I'll ask."

Later, we chatted, I told him what I do- he proceeded to give me his resume again...
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That sounds very obnoxious. Is he employed by the gym, or a member who is using that setting to get new business? I don't know much about gym etiquette but if it's the latter, I'd imagine the gym management would not be all that thrilled.

I know there are some amazing personal trainers out there, but honestly that job title sounds sketchy to me because it's one of those things I'm sure any rando person with workout experience could claim to be (sans training or other qualifications). Again, I have no personal experience though! Most people I know who employ personal trainers are the types who are not committed to getting fit or changing their lifestyle and they wind up stopping after 3-4 sessions.

He is a separate contractor who works out of the gym. You can pay an extra fee to tap into his infinite knowledge. However, if you keep your ears open you will get his instruction by proxy.