Swimming Laps to Lose Weight??!!

Options
Hi Everyone!

The pool for my condo complex is literally RIGHT BEHIND MY BUILDING! I used to swim competitively when I was younger until about Sophomore year of HS. I am a fish & LOVE to swim - I spent most of my childhood pretending I was Ariel :-)

Last week I swam 3 days and felt awesome! I've been managing 20-24 laps (after not swimming for almost 10 years I'm pretty proud of that!). I'm totally winded after the workout, but I'd like to switch it up with focusing on just my arms/legs.

So my questions:
1. Can anyone recommend a kick board and/or Leg floater thingy (my technical term for the foam piece you put between your legs so you can just focus on arm strokes)
2. Can anyone recommend a routine for me? I'm starting with 100 free warm up and then doing 50s of alternating free, breast, free, back, etc.

Thanks in advance & remember to Just Keep Swimming ;-)

P.S. I'd love to hear any success stories with swimming laps & getting in shape/ weight loss!

Replies

• a_frayn
    a_frayn Posts: 7
    Options
    No success story yet, but I love swimming. Sadly I don't have one in my building, so I have to use the local city pool, which isn't TOO local. It's a great workout. I feel so winded when done.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I was a swimmer in HS too!

I definitely would get a pull buoy (the thing you put between your legs). You get the best arm workout ever!

http://www.swimoutlet.com/pull-buoys-c9664/

And your routine sounds fine. We use to do a 500m warm up in practice, but I would probably die now if I tried that. I would also incorporate some sprints in there too. Like 50m sprint, 100m rest.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I was a competitive swimmer when younger... I wouldn't spend a good deal on a kickboard or a pull buoy (the between the legs thing)... they are just props.

Check this site out!! :)
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/swim-gear-c12157/

Also, a great beginner routine:
    100 yards crawl warmup
    (rest between laps if needed)
    4 x 50 yards crawl resting :30 between each lap
    (try to keep the timing the same for each lap)
    4 x 25 yards crawl changing breathing pattern
    (breath every 4th stroke on the first two, then every 2nd stroke on the last 2)
    2 x 50 yards your choice of strokes resting :30 between each lap
    (try to hit the same time for each lap)
    100 yards crawl warmdown
    (swim slowly and relax)

There is a website with TONS of suggestions:
    http://www.100swimmingworkouts.com/#beginner

That way you won't get bored. Just remember to limit your rest and push hard during your sprints. :)
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tips on the floaty thing, but my local pool is open mid-June through Labor Day and I always purchase an adult lap swim pass and aim to go 3 times a week. I was also a competitive swimmer growing up.

Our pool is Olympic size and they have adult lap swim three times a day where they kick the kids out, put in lanes, and only adults can swim laps.

For length/duration I start with 20 laps and I do 8 laps of freestyle, 1 of breaststroke, and 1 of backstroke. It helps me keep count too. Then I add 2 laps every week or so, and eventually I work up 32 laps which equals 2 miles. It takes me just under 45 minutes to complete that length.

So maybe figure out how long your pool is, do the calculations, set a goal and start to increase your distance. I think 20-24 laps is a good start and you will quickly build up. Keep it up!
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I AM NOT A SWIMMER. However the floaty thing I believe you are talking about is for pull workouts. Insert between the legs and focus on arms pushing thumb down and back (form for avoiding shoulder pain).

Also, look for opportunities to still compete. if you are a fish in the water I'm super jealous!!!! that is awesome. There are open water events, triathlons, I'm sure colleges host master swim classes that you can attend (doesn't matter if you go to the college or not).

I only mention the above, because as adults we forget that there are events for adults too!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I can't help much with your questions but join the Swimmers! group here on MFP. I've gotten lots of good information from the friendly people there.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    To preface, I swam at Florida State from 2008-2011 and coached my old high school from 2012-2013.

A few tips:

1. Give yourself intervals for whatever distance you are doing, i. e. 4x50s @1:30 this will force you to keep your heart rate up during a "set".

2. As far as equipment goes nothing is absolutely necessary, but a kickboard or pull buoy by speedo or TYR will allow you to isolate arms and legs. I would also recommend fins if you are just a beginner. These will strengthen your legs and help save your shoulders, allowing you to swim for longer.

3. Definitely mix up the strokes as you were because that will ensure you exercise every muscle in your body...literally.

4. Try and find a buddy...swimming is boring enough even with someone to help push you.

There really is no workout like swimming; when I need to lose weight quickly a couple weeks in the pool does wonders.