calories and exercise ...

Options
If i had some excess calories left from days and gone over to much one day can you go back and take them of the day where you have excess left or will it not work that way ?

Replies

• siobhansmart
    Options
    There seems to be controversy over this one.... i am new to MFP but have succeeded in the past with WW. i guess if i did what you had done i would def cut down the next day and adjust and see what happens one week. If it works great - i think it probably will.
  • Inpjs66
    Inpjs66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP as well, but I would leave it as it is. Either way, it will wash in the end. You over did it one day and less some others. In the end, it is all the same, isn't it?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    It all comes out even in the end.
    There is also a method called zigzagging where you take your number, lets say 1500 for example, and eat 1500 one day, but 1200 the next, and 1800 the next, and so on. As long as you AVERAGE the 1500 over time it's all the same.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think of it like this... each day is equivalent to a fresh, new slate. If you are lacking nutrients the day before, eating them the next day isn't going to send them back in time. On the flip side, if you go way over in calories (as I've done before), it doesn't hurt to take it a little easy the next day. Or hit the gym a little harder :)
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "new slate" idea. It's going to really be hard to keep track over time. (I know, I've tried to do this in the past when attempting to lose weight). Just go on a day to day basis and move on when you go over. It's no biggie, as long as you get right back on track!:-)

Shannon
  • amycrims
    Options
    I asked a professional about this, and this is what she said: As far as your regular calories, you really shouldn't be too much under each day. That being said, no don't save and use on another day. On the other hand, the calories you earn during exercise are a different thing. She suggested only applying them to the next day so you can use them more evenly throughout the day instead of using them all the day you earned them- especially if you do exercise at the end of the day and then have to hurry to fit in an extra 500 calories or something. Do not save them and use 2 days later or something like that. hope this helps!
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    thanks amy :-)
  • trainerleslie
    trainerleslie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Remember that a pound equals 3,500 calories. I look at my calories on a weekly basis, not just a daily basis, because it typically takes more than 1 day to lose/gain a pound. Plus, if I strength train (i.e. lift weights), then I know my metabolism is going to be boosted for the next couple of days and that helps me out even more. Of course, this calorie counter doesn't account for that, but it is something to keep in mind on days that you know you're not going to eat as well (dinner out/bday celebration, etc), it's important to workout on that day and strength training would be the best thing for you.

If one day you eat your goal calories and the next day you're over, then going under the next day does in fact help you out. You want to try your best to be consistent, but any restaurant meal will quickly show you that, if you eat out at all, you're probably going to be over that day.

The more aggressive your goals, the more aggressive you're going to have to be looking after each day. : )