Yes, 1200 calorie diets work!

Options

Replies

• AlwaysBigSteve
    AlwaysBigSteve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Side note, I did 1200 and under for several months. I quit when my hair started falling out. True story.

I don't want to be a naysayer though, so good luck.

When I did this, my husband told me to just stay fat because it's better than me being a hangry b!tch all the time.

HAHA, "hangry" That's my new word.

No in seriousness to the OP, it was hard for the first 2 weeks. Then the hangry left, people commented on how happy I was, I felt more energy than ever before! It was amazing and the weight loss was like 5-6 lbs a week. I lost 92 pounds with this drastic diet and walking 30 minutes a day, I didn't have the energy to do anything else but work and walk. But I didn't feel hungry or lathargic like many people think (you are, you just don't realize it). Some friends said it was like I was in slow motion, but I thought it was the opposite.

Then the blackouts started. I would have crazy tunnel vision when standing up of sitting down and then the hair loss, the hair loss and one of my toe nails coming off is what scared me back into eating. Once eating I gained as fast as I lost. Hair grew back, and in the end I gained back 60 pounds.

But I have to disagree with most who have not done this diet, you feel energetic (even though you actually are not). You feel like you can move mountains (although I suddenly noticed how heavy a 40 pound bag of mulch was, for example), and you are happy as all hell. It's like hypomania in many ways.

Now I eat 2k and can lift serious iron off the ground. I think this is much better. I don't wish the side effects of a low cal diet on anyone. Some research has shown that you will live longer though on a 1200 cal diet. But it would be a miserable long life.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    So people speak from experience …. Just like your speaking to your experience of a whole 5 months. I’m glad your head didn’t get too big from losing that weight.. happens to some people and they think they know everything cause they’ve lost some weight over a couple of months…

Anyways if your happy with your life and your results then good for you, dance on roof tops go out and party bud. Your backhanded way of bragging, while trying to be supportive to a unhealthy way of losing weight, while looking for negative attention is hilarious to me.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    yay for you, OP.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a response. Some positive (Thank you!) mostly negative. Let me clear some air.

I usually work out. At least a LOT of walking. Usually Biking and racquetball. Do I eat back the calories? Sometimes but usually not. Do I feel hungry everyday? NOT AT ALL. The first week, going from 5000+ calories to 1200 was hard but then I adjusted and was fine.

I was on 1200 calories for 2 months, 1400 for the next two months and now on 1600. By end of summer, I will be at 1800.

I am not angry, cranky, moody, tired, etc. I get up at 5am and usually not in bed until 11pm everyday and I feel alert and great. I usually only drink water, occasionally passion tea but stay away from caffeine.

Seems like many people read the headline and then commented and actually never read the post. They would have seen that I STARTED at 1200 and increased, That I feel the best I ever have, etc.

The main take away. DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU! If you can not do 1200 calories, don't. But those of you who really want to lose weight and then gradually increase, do it. Don't listen to the naysayers. But just be focused on what is happening around you. (If you do become sick, tired, etc.)

Although I am getting a lot of back lash, I wish EVERYONE the best on their weightless, whether I agree with your methods or not. I just wish those of you who "know everything" could support everyone as well.

Off to work, I will defend my position later!

If 1200 calories is sufficient (your words) why are you upping your calories?
  • AmyMS86
    AmyMS86 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    No flames from me. Do whatever works for you. I generally ear around 1300 calories, but my food is usually pretty filling. If I were more hungry, I'd definitely eat more. I despise blanket statements - who cares what anyone else is eating. Eat what works for you and makes you feel the best. If you aren't feeling great, ask for opinions or tweak some things. I don't understand why people get so self-righteous about eating habits.:indifferent:
  • wordsandmusic51
    wordsandmusic51 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree that a 1200 calorie plan can work. That is my target daily calorie goal, and when I exercise I generally try to eat a bit more. Occasionally, I go a bit over, but as a rule, I find it pretty easy to stick to. I have lost 38.6 pounds in about 3 1/2 months, so it is working for me as well.
    Everyone's body is different, so for anyone to claim that they know the secret to weight loss and that it applies to everyone is just wrong. Use common sense. Use your food preferences to your advantage (and that includes ALL food, even stuff others may have fits about). Only you know what is working for you, what you can afford, what is available to you, and what you will stick to. If you don't like salads, you aren't going to lose weight on a salad based diet. If you have been eating junk food all your life, you are not going to change things overnight. When I began my journey at over 500 pounds, I could literally eat an entire cake. It would make me sick, I would get headaches, I had stomach problems, I was sluggish, etc., and I honestly did not realize just how much WHAT I was eating affected how I felt overall on a daily basis. When I really started losing and feeling the differences, I was able to cut out more and more, or choose healthier alternatives. I still love the junk, sad to say, lol, but I find ways to satisfy what has been a lifelong addiction my altering recipes, etc. People will say to eat fruit (which I do) instead of cake, but sometimes, you just want cake, right? I make mine with the diet 7Up trick, and it works for me. Once in a while, I have the 'real' thing. I am still losing, so I do what works and ignore nasty comments, and I don't try to preach to others to do things a certain way because it is what works for me.

We all have to sail our own ships...or paddle our own canoes, or bucket bail our own dinghies depending on our situations. Just do it. If you stumble, get back up and keep sailing, paddling, rowing, bailing...

Congrats on your success!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    It works due to calorie deficit for most.

BUT, one DOESN'T have to do this approach to lose weight. There's a difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    So in...

Okay OP..you are a 29 year old man eating less than 1200 calories of course you are losing weight but you are also losing fat and muscle...congrats to you.

In the long term you will notice the following as well...

Low energy
    Lethargy
    brittle nails and hair
    Hunger cues will diminish
    Your metabolism is going to slow eventually too

You will do damage to your heart and muscles
    You will not be able to exercise much

And then...you will break...you will eat a wad of food

Long term you become nutrient deficient, your metabolism will adapt and make it hard to lose weight, your bones will become brittle due to lack of muscle...

But hey you lost weight...good on you.

As for the will power...naw...my goal is to be healthy and happy not weak, lethargic, unhealthy and skinny with no muscle mass...

Self control means eating as much as I can while I still lose weight not as little as possible as a form of self punishment for gaining weight.

There is no way as a man at 1200 calories you are getting in adequate nutrition...1200 is the bare min for a woman ...

But hey do what works for you...flay yourself as much as you want, don't learn to eat all food in moderation and when you come off this 1200 calorie a day diet and go back to "normal" and gain your weight back because you didn't learn moderation in all foods only self deprevation you will understand why there are those of us who say no to 1200...

tumblr_lp4nq10fzQ1ql1a3no1_500.gif

Hey Sexy,
    Your adivce is very valuable, however is it really necessary to be so Sarcastic and Pessimistic to the OP? It may be more effective to offer your advice based on your experiences in a more positive manner.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I agree that a 1200 calorie plan can work. That is my target daily calorie goal, and when I exercise I generally try to eat a bit more. Occasionally, I go a bit over, but as a rule, I find it pretty easy to stick to. I have lost 38.6 pounds in about 3 1/2 months, so it is working for me as well.
    Everyone's body is different, so for anyone to claim that they know the secret to weight loss and that it applies to everyone is just wrong. Use common sense. Use your food preferences to your advantage (and that includes ALL food, even stuff others may have fits about). Only you know what is working for you, what you can afford, what is available to you, and what you will stick to. If you don't like salads, you aren't going to lose weight on a salad based diet. If you have been eating junk food all your life, you are not going to change things overnight. When I began my journey at over 500 pounds, I could literally eat an entire cake. It would make me sick, I would get headaches, I had stomach problems, I was sluggish, etc., and I honestly did not realize just how much WHAT I was eating affected how I felt overall on a daily basis. When I really started losing and feeling the differences, I was able to cut out more and more, or choose healthier alternatives. I still love the junk, sad to say, lol, but I find ways to satisfy what has been a lifelong addiction my altering recipes, etc. People will say to eat fruit (which I do) instead of cake, but sometimes, you just want cake, right? I make mine with the diet 7Up trick, and it works for me. Once in a while, I have the 'real' thing. I am still losing, so I do what works and ignore nasty comments, and I don't try to preach to others to do things a certain way because it is what works for me.

We all have to sail our own ships...or paddle our own canoes, or bucket bail our own dinghies depending on our situations. Just do it. If you stumble, get back up and keep sailing, paddling, rowing, bailing...

Congrats on your success!

You're also a 56 yr old female, compared to a 29 yr old male...

Your caloric/nutrient requirements are going to be just a.......tad...........different. Can't really throw a 1200 calorie blanket on everyone.

Of course a 1200 calorie diet will work for OP. If logging is spot on they're probably running a 1500+ daily deficit, along with not meeting macros or micros.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Don't let the detractors trick you, 1200 calories totally rock. This is a shot of me when I did that in my twenties.

b46m93.jpg

I especially like the collarbone definition and my elbows were especially pointy. The neat thing, even though I was stupid light, I still had a roll of fat around my midsection because of my total lack of upper body strength.

I was going to do the same thing again this time around but I decided I would opt for a plan that didn't have people asking me if I had AIDS or cancer all the time instead.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Of course they will work.

The issue is that you posted that you lost 55lbs in 5 months doing this. Well, I lost 75lbs in 8 months eating 2000 calories a day and basically started with very similar stats than you (I actually had a bit less to lose). So sure, you can eat 500 calories a day if you want and lose some weight, but why?
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I truly wish people would stop spreading this GARBAGE!

And don't call me a troll, because it's the "1200 calorie diet" that gave me an eating disorder.

"It's hard the first few weeks cause you go to bed hungry" Think about what you just said, seriously. Why in the hell would anybody want to go to bed hungry just to lose an extra 1 pound a week.

I speak from experience, this is NOT healthy and it is not sustainable. 2 years ago, I went from 140 pounds to 105 or so in VERY SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME, I was eating 1200 calories a day, some days even less, working out like a mad women. The result? Sure I was skinny, but I looked extremely unhealthy as I lost all my muscle, I was what you call "skinny fat". I had loose skin everywhere, I was hungry, I wasn't sleeping good, I was cranky, my hair was getting thinner. I became anemic as I wasn't getting enough iron. And I couldn't stop, I loved that i lost the weight so fast that I kept going. 105 was no longer good enough for me, I wanted to be 95 and so on.

And wanna hear the best part? I gained all of it back when I started to to eat normally again because I could no longer go on the way I was going. You can not live off 1200 calories a day for the rest of your life.

This time, yes, it's taking me longer and I've messed up a few times, losing 2 gaining it back. But this is a process for me. I want to be HEALTHY, I don't just want to lose weight.

Stop spreading this *kitten*.

I'm tired of hearing this works, IT DOESN'T. It works at first, you lose 2 pounds a week but your putting your body under stress and once again THIS IS NOT SUSTAINABLE.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

So before you all chastise someone for asking about a 1200 calorie diet, troll someone who supports the 1200 calorie diet, or even worse, name call (eating disorder, stupid, unhealthy) those who use the diet, take a look in the mirror. Why do you hate the low calorie diet so much? I think if you are honest with yourself, you will realize that is comes down to will power. Doing 1200 calories is the hardest diet out there.

I learned long ago that it is better to work smarter, rather than to work harder. Harder doesn't necessarily make for better. To each his own, but I would rather not have to deal with hunger, misery, restriction and a Special K bar for lunch.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    SO you did 1200 cals for a whole two months then raised your calories, haven't yet met your goal and haven't maintained at a reasonable calorie amount.

I don't think you can claim that they work without causing issues.

Of course you lost on 1200, nobody says they don't you'll lose on 500, doesn't make it healthy- what they say is that they aren't healthy and you'll do damage to your body and find maintaining at a good calorie level difficult, not to mention the large % of weight loss that will be muscle.

This is the type of misleading thread title I expect from trolls.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    1st of all, OP doesn't know what trolling actually means

2nd...
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    soooooooo you're *not* on a 1200cal diet.

cool.

Thumbsup-alec.gif
  • WrenAlive
    WrenAlive Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!
    My problem is the WAY people dismiss ALL 1200 Calorie Diets. While the haters have some very valid points about not being able to gain muscle while restricting your intake that much and they are not wrong. Everyone is in here for support, so while facts may be appreciated, Sarcastic Meme's are not! Blankets statements like 'don't net less than 1200 Calories ever or you'll enter starvation mode' are not helpful and don't apply to everyone. They say instead eat or net at your BMR. and you can eat much more calories. Well my BMR is between 1100-1400 depending on which calculator you use. So for me to net 1200 is following 'their' rules and breaking them at the same time. People lifting weight, Exercising, etc will have a higher calorie need than those who may just have a lot of fat to lose and are focusing purely on diet for the time being. OP you mentioned that you have been increasing your calorie limits as you go through this process, so I suspect you are listening to your body. Which of course is the most important thing and doing what works for you and helps you reach your own goals. Weight loss is simple math everyone here can agree on that. Fitness and health are much more complicated. We are all built different coming from different starting points and different goals so I take in everything I read and use what may apply to or work for me. Adapt. Improve. Always put yourself first. (and forget the haters). CHEERS! and I wish you continued good luck.
  • AlwaysBigSteve
    AlwaysBigSteve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Don't let the detractors trick you, 1200 calories totally rock. This is a shot of me when I did that in my twenties.

b46m93.jpg

I especially like the collarbone definition and my elbows were especially pointy. The neat thing, even though I was stupid light, I still had a roll of fat around my midsection because of my total lack of upper body strength.

I was going to do the same thing again this time around but I decided I would opt for a plan that didn't have people asking me if I had AIDS or cancer all the time instead.

But are you a registered nutritionist? HAHA ::sarcasm::
  • ccoleman777
    Options
    I'm so excited to read your post because I am in a similar situation. I started at 280 at the beginning of this week, 6/01/14 is my start date (highest weight was 305 in January 1, 2013) and I've decided to do a 1200 calorie diet! So far, I've lost 5 lbs this week so I'm thrilled!
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    because other people won't eat a 1200 calorie diet, that means your wrong.

157yvyt.gif
This discussion has been closed.